Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 AM

531 posts, read 453,457 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to buy an interesting Victorian house cheap in East Price Hill, but won't be able to rehab it for at least one year. What will be necessary to keep it from being stripped of copper or vandalized? Do the electronic security systems work well enough? Is there a property management service that will provide security for an unoccupied house?
It is very depressing to see these old houses advertised with the mantelpieces missing. I think Indy takes the prize, though: in one house in Woodruff Place, hoboes had broken in and tried to keep warm by burning the original oak floors in a bricked-up fireplace. Then a flipper bought it and turned the carriage house (with the tall door and blacksmith's forge) into a garage and apartment above. But we should try not to think about such unpleasant topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
I have an opportunity to buy an interesting Victorian house cheap in East Price Hill, but won't be able to rehab it for at least one year. What will be necessary to keep it from being stripped of copper or vandalized? Do the electronic security systems work well enough? Is there a property management service that will provide security for an unoccupied house?
It is very depressing to see these old houses advertised with the mantelpieces missing. I think Indy takes the prize, though: in one house in Woodruff Place, hoboes had broken in and tried to keep warm by burning the original oak floors in a bricked-up fireplace. Then a flipper bought it and turned the carriage house (with the tall door and blacksmith's forge) into a garage and apartment above. But we should try not to think about such unpleasant topics.
I live in Indy right now and can't wait to leave. The place is indescribable and that is putting it mildly. KC was never this bad.

I bought a fixer upper in Covington across the river from downtown. Have had almost no issues. Most of the people have respected my property and privacy. Still working on it but hope to move in a few months if no more problems crop up in Indy which are to be blunt, fouling up my plans to move to Cincy and screwing up my life and setting me back years.

I'd check with some of your neighbors to see what they think. Each neighborhood will be different in that respect. And if you have a good real estate agent, he or she may be able to give you an idea of what may or may not need to be done to safe guard your property.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
I would pass. There will always (or at least for the foreseeable future) be another interesting cheap Victorian in East Price Hill. Buy when you're ready to start to work.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 AM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I would pass. There will always (or at least for the foreseeable future) be another interesting cheap Victorian in East Price Hill. Buy when you're ready to start to work.
Very true! Wait

Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
It is possible to board a house, put some visible security cameras on the outside of it and install and alarm and probably hold that property. Putting a bunch of floodlights is the best deterrent. However a Heroin Addict looking for wire will find a way in.

If you MUST have this house I would remove things of value for future restoration , Mantels, any antique lighting, registers, radiators and staircase railing and put them in storage somewhere off site.

Assume you will show up one day and your plumbing will be gone and your walls will be ripped open with people looking for wire, buy hey you were probably going to have to rewire anyway.

If I were you, I would wait to buy. I came from Indianapolis where I restored homes for years and the scrapping, and thievery is 20 times worse in Cincinnati than it ever was in Indy. Lower Price/ East price has a serious Heroin epidemic. That part of District 3 has a serious problem. Trust me there are tons of great restorable homes all over Cincinnati . Don't rush in, take your time.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 PM

531 posts, read 453,457 times
Thanks for the authoritative reply. What I needed to know, if not what I wanted to hear.
Since you're in Knox Hill, maybe you can tell me why 1902 Knox was offered for $1,030 recently.
The house I made a bid on is 736 Hawthorne Ave. Look up the listing and you'll see it has an oriel and pavilion porch. However, I expect the clapboards and shingled belts under the aluminum siding are black and rotten. A better quality house than what I've been seeing listed for sale, though.
Are there similar houses for sale that don't get on the Internet through the MLS? I found quite a few in Indy.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
1902 was under city orders and frankly needs demo, something I rarely advocate, I looked at it and the cost of restore is more than it could ever be worth. Its ideally suited for a new larger home. Unfortunately the new owner is doig nothing and we will likely take him to court.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM

221 posts, read 752,161 times
Louisville is a friendly city. Good neighbors watch out for one another's property and are the best security system. Get to know them and let them know your needs and they'll watch out for you in a good neighborhood--especially if you're going to rehab property that will only increase their property values.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Who said anything about Louisville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati