Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:06 PM

21 posts, read 49,295 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Husband and I are relocating to Cincinnati from Northern NJ with our two kids both under 3. He will be working in West Chester but will also need access to Cincy airport, we want to stay inside of route 275. Fortunately I will be able to stay home with our kids.
Last month we spent a few days in Cincinnati driving around all of the potential areas and are having a hard time picking a town.
We really liked Glendale's historic feel and quaint downtown as well as the amount of land you can get with the house. After checking out Princeton schools reviews, it doesn't look like the type of school we are looking for, it's not ranked and it's more diverse than what we are used to. However, we are open to private schools, does anyone have any experience with private schools in the Glendale or surrounding area?

We also drove thru Hyde Park and loved the older homes and downtown, however it looks like it will be very difficult to get any land with the house. And just like Glendale, public schools are unranked with the exception of Walnut Hills which I know you have to test into. Does anyone have experience with any private schools in the Hyde Park area that would be comparable to Wyoming and Madeira schools? I have looked around but cannot find any data ranking or comparing the public schools vs. the private schools.

We also liked Wyoming, Madeira and Montgomery. I know all of these districts are well ranked, can anyone give me specifics that would make us select one over the others?

We went thru Mariemont and didn't really get a good feel from the downtown, it was almost too uniform for us. We went thru Indian Hill but crossed it off the list due to it not having a downtown.

We really want to like the town and house we choose and are hoping you guys can give us some feedback that will help us make a selection. Questionnaire is below.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and feedback!

Please read and answer these questions in your inquiry so we can assist you on your move to the Cincinnati Area. Please start a new thread with your copied/pasted responses.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?yes
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?private vs. public school rank

. Where is you current location and environment? New Jersey
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Similiar

. Where will your work location be? West Chester and frequent access to Cincinnati airport
. Maximum commute time desired? 45 minutes

. What is you budget for housing? 700,000
. Rent or buy? Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) single family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 2700 and up 4 beds, 3 baths
. Other specifics? Would like at least a half acre of useable flat yard for kids to play

. Neighborhood environment? Distinctive architecture, family oriented, low to no crime, has a downtown/Main Street
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) large
. Very safe, low crime area? Yes
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? No
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities No

. Schools? Yes
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools yes
. Small or large district? Open to both
. Diverse student body? Ok with
. Strong athletics? Yes
. Consider Private schools? Yes
. Special considerations? No

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. Would love to have all of these!
. Town/city community center for adults & kids-don't care
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities-don't care
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs-don't care
. Close promity to public transportation?-don't care
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues-would like
. Jogging & biking trails-don't care
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM

150 posts, read 171,854 times
Blue Ash or Montgomery. I once lived in Irvington!

Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Glendale is a great choice for you. Investigate the Bethany School. As far as public schools go, I'll tell you what I tell everyone who comes into town and asks: Wyoming is as good as it gets in the Cincinnati area and is a great community to live in. Because you are in the upper range of what most people can afford for a house, I'd focus on those two upscale communities. But Blue Ash and the Sycamore school system are certainly a good choice, too.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it!

Cgs2000, since you are from NJ(which is a huge help since I can reference towns) do you know which towns in Cincy area would be similiar to Westfield or Summit? We love both of their downtowns, very big and bustling with shops, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Welcome to Cincinnati, Avalanche!

I'd have to go with common opinion and recommend Glendale the most highly. If you're looking for land and a downtown, I could not think of a better place in the Cincinnati metro, aside from maybe the neighborhood around S. D St. in Hamilton.

I'm sure you already checked out these houses, but here's their listings in case you haven't:

Glendale:
785 Ivy Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45246 is For Sale - Zillow
30 W Fountain Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45246 is For Sale - Zillow
823 Kingfisher Ln, Cincinnati, OH 45246 is For Sale - Zillow

And a couple of other good options, like
Amberley Village
6630 Glen Acres Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45237 is For Sale - Zillow (walkable to Pleasant Ridge)
7180 Knoll Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45237 is For Sale - Zillow (walkable to Silverton)

Maderia
6875 Marblehead Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45243 is For Sale - Zillow (nice 1.5 acre house, walkable to town)

Terrance Park
625 Elm Ave, Terrace Park, OH 45174 is For Sale - Zillow (on the bike trail to Milford)
1 Given Ln, Terrace Park, OH 45174 is For Sale - Zillow (I love this house!!)

Clifton
144 Lafayette Ln, Cincinnati, OH 45220 is For Sale - Zillow (if you're into modern it fits your criteria well)
760 Old Ludlow Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45220 is For Sale - Zillow (less modern)

Blue Ash
10430 Rachel Anne Ct, Blue Ash, OH 45241 is For Sale - Zillow (nice walk through Sharon Woods to get to downtown Sharonville)

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 AM

114 posts, read 228,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
We also drove thru Hyde Park and loved the older homes and downtown, however it looks like it will be very difficult to get any land with the house. And just like Glendale, public schools are unranked with the exception of Walnut Hills which I know you have to test into. Does anyone have experience with any private schools in the Hyde Park area that would be comparable to Wyoming and Madeira schools? I have looked around but cannot find any data ranking or comparing the public schools vs. the private schools.

I honestly think Wyoming is the better fit for you based on the fact that your husband will be working in West Chester, but I wanted to 'chime in' in case anyone else references this thread.

Hyde Park is served by two excellent public elementary schools - Kilgour and Hyde Park School. Kilgour is ranked high on all of the lists that you can google and has been for a while. HPS only recently reopened 2-3 years ago so it doesn't show up on greatschools.com and other places you can google. However, detailed school "report cards" are on the Ohio website here -

Accountability Resources | Ohio Department of Education

Hyde Park School actually got the highest Performance Index Score in the state -

https://twitter.com/IamCPS/status/522444732166062080

Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM

42 posts, read 70,699 times
There are plenty of private schools available should you choose to live in Cincinnati and avoid CPS. I've seen GerberAnalytics used to evalute public vs private schools.

Best public suburb schools inside the 275 loop are in my opinion and in no particular order:
Mariemont (Fairfax, Mariemont, Terrace Park, parts of Colubmia Twp.)
Wyoming
Indian Hill (Indian Hill and parts of Montgomery, Camp Dennison)
Sycamore Twp (Blue Ash, parts of Montgomery, parts of a few other towns as well)
Madeira

Best Private schools in my opinion and in no particular order:
St. Xavier
Summit Country Day (Very close to Hyde Park if not in Hyde Park)
Cincinnati Seven Hills
Ursuline Academy

OGT-Top Schools-2013

This Map below is customizable
Ohio HS - Southwest - 2013

Sounds like Wyoming or Mariemont would be a good fit for low crime, good schools, a yard and walkable main street.

Amberely, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, East Walnut Hills, Columbia Tusculum, Glendale may fit your requirements to varying degrees if you're okay with pursing private schools.

Last edited by Wildview; 11-12-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Ohiokid-thank you for the listings, I love the one in Terrace Park too! We are on the same page with houses, are you a realtor by any chance? If so, will you be our realtor, those are some good house picks!

Ohio123-thank you for the information on HPS, I did not know about that school and I'm excited to see it rank at the top since I really liked Hyde Park. Great information, I really appreciate it!

Wildview-thank you VERY much for the info. On Gerber Analytics, I went on the site and they combine public and private into one list. That was exactly what I was looking for!

All of you have been very helpful and I appreciate it!!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

150 posts, read 171,854 times
...of course H.P. is quite far from Westchester. Somewhere on this forum this was a (heated) discussion about I-71 and I-75 (I believe) going from Oakley to Mason. I knew someone who drove into Manhattan every day from Plainfield!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
Ohiokid-thank you for the listings, I love the one in Terrace Park too! We are on the same page with houses, are you a realtor by any chance? If so, will you be our realtor, those are some good house picks!
haha thanks for the thanks!

I think you just gave me the greatest compliment I have ever received (asking if I would be your realtor), so thank you!! I appreciate the thought. I am not a realtor, unfortunately. I've considered it though. Currently, I'm just an engineering student in the area, and I'm only 23. But I do have an undergrad business degree in Supply Chain Mgmt. haha - closest I got to real estate was a couple Finance and contract law courses.

But I am always here to help however I can! There's nothing in the world I like quite as much as a good house hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati