Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 13,372 times

Advertisements

So I am originally from Cincinnati (grew up as a west-sider) but haven't lived there for over 15 years. My parents still live on the west-side but most of the family has moved to the east-side (my parents both grew up as east-siders). My husband & I are considering a move to Cincinnati for a job. His job will be located downtown. He hates the west-side for the fact that it is all back roads with out close highway access. Ours kids love driving the hills! We currently live in St. Louis, MO and he has a 15-20 minute commute with easy highway access. If we move he would like the same commute time but we also have 4 kids so we need a decent size house (not sure price on exact range but probably above $230k most likely), with a decent size yard, & good schools (probably will send to catholic grade school nearby). We are afraid family will try to influence our decision and would prefer them to let us make our own decision.

Any ideas where we should move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:15 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
I don't see why the area around Monfort Hts wouldn't fit the bill, given the accessibility of I-74 by way of North Bend Rd. Since you're looking at parochial schools whichever public district a house that catches your eye falls within wouldn't be an issue.
A onetime C-D'er with a growing family wound up in White Oak and was very pleased with his ultimate decision (full disclosure, Yours Truly provided guidance.) They lived on the cul-de-sac end of Ranlyn Ave, with a quiet park literally in their back yard and an abundant supply of empty-nester neighbors happy to help with babysitting. Ultimately they relocated for the C-D'er's professional growth, but were there for ~5 years and were able to recoup their investment though not with a significant profit.
The principal drawback of both areas with regard to housing is, there's nothing especially "unique" for the most part. As a rule we're talking homes built for Boomers' parents - 3 if not 4 bedrooms, split-level or 2-story Colonial...I'm sure you get the picture.

In the "gray area" between the east and west sides there's College Hill to consider, specifically the section which lies north of (there it is again) North Bend Rd although there are other great parts as well. Much of the neighborhood has been on the sketchy side for quite a few years. But by the same token there are safe, "hidden gem" blocks which have stood the test of time nicely. Houses in many shapes and sizes can be found. At least two of your children are in high school - unless you allow offspring under 16 to joy-ride (LOL) - so...within College Hill lies McAuley (for girls), and the uber-prestigious St Xavier (for boys) is minutes to the east. Expressway access isn't as much of a chore as you might remember due to the Cross-County Highway's long delayed opening. Now you can hop on at Hamilton Ave in NCH (not recommended for residency) and zip east to I-75. And people who enjoy navigating hills will be in hog heaven negotiating Hamilton Ave DOWN to Northside.

This C-D forum is heavily populated by east-siders, specifically in the O-O axis (Over-the-Rhine to Oakley, by way of Mt Lookout & Pleasant Ridge.) So I'll let them jump on board with why THEIR part of town is best.

Also, don't rule out Northern Kentucky.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 PM

224 posts, read 297,481 times
Why not Delhi? I know this doesn't meet the easy access to highway requirement, but it shouldn't be that long of a drive to downtown. Don't see how that commute would be any worse than sitting in rush hour traffic on I-74 or I-75.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 13,372 times
So I grew up near Cleves Warsaw & Anderson Ferry (the border off Green Twp/Delhi/City of Cincinnati. Husband hates the 8th street viaduct and all the back roads. He grew up where he had quick highway access and then our current house is close by to the 2 major highways in St. Louis, so it just makes things easier in his mind than taking all the backroads. I am a backroads girl myself. I sometimes take backroads here in St. Louis to avoid highway headaches. I guess you could say our upbringings show up in our driving preferences.

Monfort Heights is a bit of a cookie cutter for our taste. We do enjoy older homes (pre-WWII). The two houses we have owned both dated back in the 1890s. I have a niece attending McAuley right now and she isn't happy there. I'm a SUA alum so driving across town for things is not an new idea to me. I spent a lot of my time growing up cross town because my parents were the only ones in their families that moved to the west-side.

I am very familiar with Oakley as my grandmother's house was there during my childhood and brother currently lives in the area. I also have family in Anderson Twp (off of 5-mile) which my husband calls a glorified west-side but admits it does have easier highway access then where my parents are. I know absolutely nothing about NKY and I think we would consider that too.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:36 PM

224 posts, read 297,481 times
In Northern Kentucky, the best places to look at (that are mostly within your parameters) are Fort Thomas, Fort Mitchell, and Villa Hills. All of them close to the river with mostly older homes. Main downside is rush hour traffic, especially for Fort Mitchell and Villa Hills, and that will get real interesting if they ever work on the Brent Spence Bridge.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHgal123 View Post
...I grew up near Cleves Warsaw & Anderson Ferry (the border of Green Twp/Delhi/City of Cincinnati.)
Then you've heard of the street called Orangelawn. LOL!
It's also clear that a brick Cape Cod in Bridgetown isn't on your radar.
Dare I mention (stopping short of recommending without reservation) Westwood? Its story isn't all gloom and doom when you read between the lines, and it can deliver in the charming-old-house department every bit as well as Mt Lookout and Paddock Hills and so on. The trick would be finding a "good" block, which practically equates to concentrating around Glenmore and no farther east than Boudinot as a rule. (There are some beautiful streets lying between Harrison and Queen City Ave's, but La Feuille has gone sketchy as has McHenry and crime has gotten bad. Similarly, Urwiler and Epworth houses are still inviting but their immediate vicinity is shaky.) Montana Ave makes for easy access to 74 so the twisty-turny arteries leading to viaducts can be forgotten. And Westwood still has Catholic elementary schools as well as Mother of Mercy - son(s) would logically attend Elder or LaSalle if not St X.
Across the river, both Newport and Covington have high schools with "Catholic" after the city name. For a unique and built-to-last house you'd find a wealth of choices in those municipalities as well as in Bellevue, Park Hills, Ft Thomas...the down side, of course, would be the AM commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati