Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 PM

17,592 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Cincinnati for almost 70 years. We've been going to Music Hall since college and we've never known about or visited Cincinnati Memorial Hall | Hamilton County until tonight.

MrsM and I went to Blues and Brews tonight.

The building is incredible. If you haven't been there, plan on a visit soon

What an experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Been a terrible long time since I visited Memorial Hall, but yes it is a beautiful structure.

My last visit there was to attend a wedding, a very elegant setting. One of my dad's customers arranged her daughter's wedding there. The groom was from out of town, I believe NYC. But the local person footing the bill was a widowed Dr who lived in North Avondale. She felt Memorial Hall was a perfectly grand place for a wedding, and she was right.

She was so pleased with my dad's work when redecorating her home and the local immediate family was small. She insisted my father and mother and myself and my wife attend the wedding.

It was a grand spectacle done in a style I am sure was intended to impress the folks from New York that Cincinnati had venues to stand with anywhere. And that it certainly did. With all of the wedding decorations in place the marble just glistened. Everything from the bridal breakfast to the dressing rooms for the wedding party just screamed elegance. My dad became concerned enough about appearance he hired a limo service to transport us to and from the event. That was doubly effective as we had no concern for parking, using the service's facility.

Yes I know, could be considered a bit vain. But when you are socializing out of you league, sometimes it helps soothe the nerves.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-31-2015 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Back in the day, before multimedia presentations, Memorial Hall was a venue for lectures, debates and honoraria. It has an intimate feel unlike any venues of today. I was lucky enough to attend a lecture there by an anthropologist who was reporting on something or other from his trips. It takes one back to a time when people seeking culture and knowledge of the world would come to Memorial Hall to be one of the elite who got to see the (explorer, inventor, candidate) up close and personal.

A lovely place.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
A few more comments concerning Memorial Hall I encountered trying to review its building.

During what I believe must have been its planning stage in 1905, the following was published.

"Cincinnati Memorial Hall will survive for ages as a monument to our hearts and at the same time be a constant inspiration to the living generations of higher ideals of life and citizenship.” Mayor Julius-Fleischmann, 1905. The hall was built in 1908.

Spurred my interest. Some of you may be old enough, like me, to remember the Fleischmann Yeast Co. and their dominating position in the baking industry. Those little packets of yeast were a gold mine. In 1929 J.P. Morgan merged them into small outfit called Standard Brands.

I grew up in Madeira, my father was a painting contractor, and the Fleischmann Estate was in adjacent Indian Hill on a TINY 1,600 acres, I remember them very well. I did have the opportunity to tour the estate off of Blome Rd prior to it being dismantled. The drive back to the main house was a tour in itself, particularly since you got a view of the private landing strip running near it. The main house appeared like a hotel.

As I reflect on this, I am reminded of how the early success of business pioneers in Cincinnati gave rise to many of the great architectural institutions they helped found. Granted they got to keep a large percentage of what they earned as taxes were low. But they also seemed to have a great respect for the area and people who provided their success.

So my mind wanders to what is the equivalent today? Frankly I don't think there is one. All I see happening is a non-profit this and non-profit that created to avoid taxes. But who is in charge and betting their future on the outcome? There is where I perceive the difference. If you are willing to gamble your future on the endeavor you create, fine! But if what you are actually doing is betting the future of others, not so great.

What I am saying is the business and tax structure within our country is not conducive to the creation of individuals who will provide the future great institutions of Cincinnati. Sorry about my pessimism, but that is the way I feel. I have no concerns about myself, it is my grandkids and their kids I am concerned about.

I just do not see structures like Memorial Hall being created by a relatively small segment of the population in the future. First of all, it must begin with a non-profit organization. Why, because otherwise you may be risking your actual future, prey that is not tolerable, we cannot be responsible for our decisions.

I

Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
KJ, the America you dream about for your grandchildren is gone. Sorry to break the bad news, but there is no turning back. It is the federal government which is now the respiratory of power in the US, and like modern Russia, the government collaborates with cronies to suck the life blood from the country. The rich have gotten richer, the poor poorer, and the middle class less likely to fulfill their dreams.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Back in the day, before multimedia presentations, Memorial Hall was a venue for lectures, debates and honoraria.

A lovely place.
That's what I thought it was. Told my wife that this has to be a lecture, or meeting, hall because it is on the 2nd and 3rd floors.. But it was a great venue for a small concert.

See post 232: //www.city-data.com/forum/photo...re-per-24.html

Last edited by mike1003; 01-31-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM

A few pics from Friday night

Attached Thumbnails
Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194313_resized-medium-.jpg   Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194333_resized-medium-.jpg   Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194530_resized-medium-.jpg   Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194543_resized-medium-.jpg   Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194554_resized-medium-.jpg  

Cincinnati Memorial Hall, what a gem!-20150130_194658_resized-medium-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: