Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM

7 posts, read 14,356 times

Advertisements

Anyone here frequent coffe shops in the area?

The small private ones seem to be the best. I was in the Bear Claw in Dexter Michigan wishing we had a local place near here. The newest one I just discovered is the Juju Beans on Vine Street in St, Bernard, Ohio. The friendly Mosley family owns and operates it. The couches and chairs make it very comfortable and the owners and their entire family work there and may sit and chat with you.
I am hooked on their Servatti's pastry, Holtman's donuts and freshly made sandwiches. I've seen Starbucks employees in here so they must be good.

Last edited by WillM; 02-01-2015 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:36 AM

245 posts, read 333,141 times
Not that I frequent them but Pleasant Ridge has The Coffee Exchange on Montgomery Rd. The Coffee Exchange of Pleasant Ridge

Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
If you are looking for the lounge type with the same regulars hanging around and socializing for long periods of time, try Lookout Joes in Mt. Lookout, or Luckmans at the bottom of the Beechmont hill.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:56 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
What really makes for a good coffee shop is actual socializing in an atmosphere conducive to it. Do any of these places carry a laid-back vibe where people are gabbing with each other and receptive to new arrivals' joining in? (This can still be found at many a Frisch's, since these days a youth magnet they're not!) Or do they fall in line with Starbucks and the majority of independent spots, where 'most everybody has "ear buds" jammed in while they let their laptop or "tablet" or phone monopolize their attention?

For something not completely different but not run-of-the-mill nonetheless, there's an intriguing business flourishing amidst an otherwise depressing (and fairly deserted) commercial environment on Reading Road between Section and Galbraith. If you go to the BMV office in that area you're a hop, skip, and jump away from what used to be called the Gospel Coffee Shop but now has "Cafe & Grill" in its name following "Gospel." (Their address is listed as both 6 Sunnybrook Dr and 7990 Reading Rd.) Chances are they kept their java menu, like that of an ice cream parlor, intact after relocating from the same block as Song Long.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gospe...27685720617940

Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
I have several favorite coffee shops.
Cafe DeSales in East Walnut Hills is the perfect little neighborhood joint where I can almost always find a neighbor or two. Great coffee and a warm welcoming staff are big pluses.

Awakenings in Hyde Park Square is great for meetings with many tables. Good coffee and lots of locals.

I have also enjoyed countless hours hanging out at Coffee Emporium on Central Parkway in OTR reading and eating amazing treats. I think of it as the "family room" of OTR. Get a coffee, a snack and relax either with a group or alone.

College Hill Coffee on Noth Bend is one of my favorites but it's pretty far out of my daily loop. You can usually count on great food and live music in the evenings.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
College Hill Coffee on North Bend is one of my favorites but it's pretty far out of my daily loop. You can usually count on great food and live music in the evenings.
Excellent addition! But they're on Hamilton Ave AT North Bend Rd (SE corner), facing Hamilton. The distinction's petty only unless you've never been there and are driving up and down the wrong street trying to find the place.
Hopefully progmac or another Pleasant Ridge dweller will join this thread and let us know whether "Pleasant Perk" in their neighborhood and the aforementioned "emporium" are one and the same (or if one replaced the other.)

Old 02-01-2015, 06:15 PM

245 posts, read 333,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Excellent addition! But they're on Hamilton Ave AT North Bend Rd (SE corner), facing Hamilton. The distinction's petty only unless you've never been there and are driving up and down the wrong street trying to find the place.
Hopefully progmac or another Pleasant Ridge dweller will join this thread and let us know whether "Pleasant Perk" in their neighborhood and the aforementioned "emporium" are one and the same (or if one replaced the other.)
As I said, I don't go to Coffee Houses, but I'm pretty sure the Coffee Exchange is where the Pleasant Perk used to be.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
As I said, I don't go to Coffee Houses, but I'm pretty sure the Coffee Exchange is where the Pleasant Perk used to be.
Yes, exactly. Pleasant Perk was an adequate coffee shop and has since changed owners and is now the Coffee Exchange. Perhaps part of the reason for the change was that a second coffee shop (and wine bar) opened in Pleasant Ridge for a little while. This place was a welcoming spot called Beans & Grapes, opened c. 2012, in the eastern side of the brick two-store box next to Walgreen's. It was a coffee shop and wine bar run by the Episcopalians as a community outreach effort. It was a promising place with decent coffee, but also unique community meeting space and programming. They made a real effort at bringing together different strata of the community and had a few interesting talks on housing, diversity, and similar topics. Ultimately this shop closed after perhaps two years of operations, if even that, presumably for the same reason that something like 50% of food service places fail -- that is to say, not enough money coming in the door.

The then-owner (or manager, was it?) of Pleasant Perk was none-to-happy about the competing coffee shop in the neighborhood. The rumors were that Pleasant Perk was struggling anyways, and after a couple of semi-public rants by the owner (or manager, was it?), Pleasant Perk closed its door for good, leaving Beans & Grapes as the sole neighborhood coffee shop. Pleasant Perk's door remained shut for a few months before reopening as the Coffee Exchange, a comfortable and charming neighborhood coffee shop that besides the rack of branded tee shirts for sale, was identical to the one it replaced. However, the service was strikingly different. It was excellent and enthusiastic. Over the coming months the coffee and food offerings became more adequate than ever. Meanwhile, the aforementioned Beans & Grapes closed for good.

Recently, the Coffee Exchange seems to have really hit its stride. Perhaps 2015 will be its banner year. It is now also open in the evenings, offering local beer and various coffee-alcohol drinks.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Always good to know when you're in that invisible minority which hardly ever drinks coffee.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Always good to know when you're in that invisible minority which hardly ever drinks coffee.
I have had some pretty intense 'flings' with coffee, but I seem to always end up coming back to tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati