Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

I may need to install a new Hot Water heater at my home in Covington. It may have broke during the recent cold spell. Even if it did not, I am interested in one of those new Tankless devices. Read a lot of reviews and something like that will be preferable to the existing barrel type.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, can you recommend an installer in the Cincy area that can remove the old heater and replace it with the Tankless model of my choice? Will likely have to upgrade my electric panel to accommodate such a device since they use a lot of amps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 11:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Depending on the size of the home & numbers of residents, you may need 2 tankless units. We live in Charleston, SC in 2200 sq feet & just 2 of us. We were told that with a larger family, we would want 2 units, one on each floor. Also, the original unit failed after 4 years. When we called a local company to "fix", they said the best fix would be a new barrel water heater! They said these tankless things fail quite often. The tankless company we bought from actually gave us a new unit free even though it was beyond warrenty.

Again, down here, we have had exceptionally cold weather with many mornings in Jan-Feb at 20 degrees or so. Friends tankless unit on outside of house failed (of course, this location wouldn't be an option in Cinti). Most tankless units are in garages down here. Friends chose to be extra careful & placed new unit in laundry room. Ours is in utility closet off kitchen where water heater was -- and we gained a new large storage closet in the exchange.

As for the installation, ours was installed by a Cinti acquaintance who was vacationing down here. Totally professional & honest fellow: Kevin Staigl of KMS Plumbing 513-259-0237. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
You have gas over there I assume and it will be cheaper to get a gas one. You may be able to get a used one from Craigslist.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:54 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
I have a gas one and would have no other. Have bought mine from Sears for over 50 years. Always buy their extended service policy. One of the better appliance purchases I have ever made. If it craps out, call them up and say bring me another one.

Have a friend who installed a tank less one. He is always complaining they are running out of hot water in a 2 person household. No thanks, I will stay with my Sears Special.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Depending on the size of the home & numbers of residents, you may need 2 tankless units. We live in Charleston, SC in 2200 sq feet & just 2 of us. We were told that with a larger family, we would want 2 units, one on each floor. Also, the original unit failed after 4 years. When we called a local company to "fix", they said the best fix would be a new barrel water heater! They said these tankless things fail quite often. The tankless company we bought from actually gave us a new unit free even though it was beyond warrenty.

Again, down here, we have had exceptionally cold weather with many mornings in Jan-Feb at 20 degrees or so. Friends tankless unit on outside of house failed (of course, this location wouldn't be an option in Cinti). Most tankless units are in garages down here. Friends chose to be extra careful & placed new unit in laundry room. Ours is in utility closet off kitchen where water heater was -- and we gained a new large storage closet in the exchange.

As for the installation, ours was installed by a Cinti acquaintance who was vacationing down here. Totally professional & honest fellow: Kevin Staigl of KMS Plumbing 513-259-0237. Good luck!
Thanks. Small house. 750 square feet and 1 BR. Suitable for only one or two people. I have a friend that installed a few of these in Oklahoma and he said if you purchase a good model, they work fine. Mine will go into the cellar or perhaps in the kitchen if it is easier to route it to the natural gas line.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have a gas one and would have no other. Have bought mine from Sears for over 50 years. Always buy their extended service policy. One of the better appliance purchases I have ever made. If it craps out, call them up and say bring me another one.

Have a friend who installed a tank less one. He is always complaining they are running out of hot water in a 2 person household. No thanks, I will stay with my Sears Special.
Thanks for the Op Ed piece. Yes, installing one of these new units is a "tankless job" but someone has to do it. :-) It all comes down to homework. Buy a good one and it will be every bit as good as the more traditional tank type models.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You have gas over there I assume and it will be cheaper to get a gas one. You may be able to get a used one from Craigslist.
Yeah, may have to look into this option now. While I don't like to use NG in this case it probably will not only be cheaper to install but likely easier to use since I won't have to upgrade the electric panel from its current 100 amp service.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, may have to look into this option now. While I don't like to use NG in this case it probably will not only be cheaper to install but likely easier to use since I won't have to upgrade the electric panel from its current 100 amp service.

Natural gas is clean and green. Electric is made from diesel and coal burning.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 AM

26 posts, read 40,527 times
If you are going tankless, I would recommend sticking with gas as an electric unit will require too much juice. That said, unless you find a competent installer, you may want to stick with a traditional tank water heater. Depending on your home layout, tankless can take awhile to get hot water to your fixtures and you can experience cold slugs. It can be corrected with a recirculation system and buffer tank, but you are adding some complexity. You will also likely need to upsize your gas line.

Here's a good article for you:
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/des...er-payoff.aspx

Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstop View Post
If you are going tankless, I would recommend sticking with gas as an electric unit will require too much juice. That said, unless you find a competent installer, you may want to stick with a traditional tank water heater. Depending on your home layout, tankless can take awhile to get hot water to your fixtures and you can experience cold slugs. It can be corrected with a recirculation system and buffer tank, but you are adding some complexity. You will also likely need to upsize your gas line.

Here's a good article for you:
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/des...er-payoff.aspx
Thanks for your suggestions. I will be doing additional research on the subject over the next few weeks. And yes, a traditional water heater may still be the best option since it does seem evident that venting a gas unit will cost a few hundred on top of the cost of the tankless heater and labor. Electric may actually be cheaper since from what I read, I could have a separate 60 amp panel installed and leave the 100 amp intact. A dedicated panel may be the most cost effective way to pull this off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: