Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you consider this a transitionary move, by all means rent. And rent where you are close to your respective places of employment. I can't understand all the hysteria concerning catching a bus at Children's late at night. It is a highly respected hospital, not a prison. Maybe that is why I am content in the exurbs. If Cincinnati cannot make the area around Children's safe to navigate in at any time of the day, they are doing something horribly wrong. A world class hospital but you are gambling your life coming and going? Come on people we need to do better at solidifying our society.
I haven't seen the hysteria you're talking about, but the fact is that Children's just isn't in a good neighborhood. Life-threatening? Probably not, but I would suggest the OP investigate whether there's a dedicated bus stop right at the door of Children's and if not, just park his car and sit near the stop his wife would be using for a few hours in the early morning and see how secure it seems. I'd be the first to say that although I have a less than good impression of the neighborhood, I don't know specifics about the bus service. And I'm pretty sure you don't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I haven't seen the hysteria you're talking about, but the fact is that Children's just isn't in a good neighborhood. Life-threatening? Probably not, but I would suggest the OP investigate whether there's a dedicated bus stop right at the door of Children's and if not, just park his car and sit near the stop his wife would be using for a few hours in the early morning and see how secure it seems. I'd be the first to say that although I have a less than good impression of the neighborhood, I don't know specifics about the bus service. And I'm pretty sure you don't either.
You are exactly right, I do not have in depth knowledge of the bus service. I am just commenting if Children's has a safety problem surrounding it, the City of Cincinnati has definitely dropped the ball. How can you ignore the safety concerns around one of your premiere establishments? Just one of the places where I think Cincinnati drops the ball. Doesn't seem to be a driving force anywhere to insure Cincy makes the most of its assets.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Walking around Children's at night is not recommended. The hospital has done a great job of buying surrounding blight to push those folks out, but there remains problems. It's been a couple years, but a couple hospital workers were caught in crossfire walking back to their cars. And the police tell hospital workers to not stop at red lights or stop signs....just roll on thru. But if the OP is from Philly (CHOP)----then they will find the area around CCHMC to be pretty tame in comparison.

One thing the OP should find out more about is the hospital's dedicated shuttle/bus service. Where does it exactly go and what hours does it run? Just last night I saw the Children's Hospital shuttle bus drive along 5th Street in downtown so it obviously has a fairly big range.....and it would be awesome to live close enough to where it goes so you could use it rather than driving or taking the Metro.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 5,471 times
Try East Walnut Hills, Eden park area. Hyde Park and Oakley is prime real estate so the demand out weighs the availability and factor in the cost for some of the older real estate its just not worth it.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Still not a worthwhile answer for someone wanting to work at Cincinnati Childrens. If you can't even wait for a bus there any time of the day, Cincinnati needs to do some serious thinking about where their resources are going or not to protect the most glorified of their establishments. Otherwise there simply wont be any establishments or people willing to work in them.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:27 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar50 View Post
Try East Walnut Hills, Eden park area. Hyde Park and Oakley is prime real estate so the demand out weighs the availability and factor in the cost for some of the older real estate its just not worth it.
A great suggestion. I live in EWH and we have several neighbors who work at Children's and Shriner's. It's only 7-10 minute drive from our house.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:48 PM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
I also live in EWH and highly recommend it. My wife and I moved to a building on Locust right next to Woodburn (one of the main drags) and have been very pleased. Nice little walkable area with great access to transit. She is 25 and I am 26 so being in the city is really a top priority for us (also helps that we are consummate urbanites). I agree with many of the previous posts with regard to scoping out each neighborhood. There are a few that can be written off right away. Avondale, Bond Hill, much of Walnut Hills and much that is north of Liberty at this point. Redevelopment just hasn't hit those areas yet and they can be rather dicey after dark. Everywhere you mentioned in your original post would work just fine. I will say there can be a disconnect between the perception of crime vs. the reality of crime and sometimes those voices can shout the loudest on forums like this. Definitely spend as much time tooling around as you can and ask any shopkeepers or business owners you come across what the area is like. That will typically paint a much better picture than any of us can. We can be a little provincial in that we know TONS about our little area, and not so much about others. Not a negative, just making you aware to take some of these suggestions with a grain of salt.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
I also live in EWH and highly recommend it. My wife and I moved to a building on Locust right next to Woodburn (one of the main drags) and have been very pleased. Nice little walkable area with great access to transit. She is 25 and I am 26 so being in the city is really a top priority for us (also helps that we are consummate urbanites). I agree with many of the previous posts with regard to scoping out each neighborhood. There are a few that can be written off right away. Avondale, Bond Hill, much of Walnut Hills and much that is north of Liberty at this point. Redevelopment just hasn't hit those areas yet and they can be rather dicey after dark. Everywhere you mentioned in your original post would work just fine. I will say there can be a disconnect between the perception of crime vs. the reality of crime and sometimes those voices can shout the loudest on forums like this. Definitely spend as much time tooling around as you can and ask any shopkeepers or business owners you come across what the area is like. That will typically paint a much better picture than any of us can. We can be a little provincial in that we know TONS about our little area, and not so much about others. Not a negative, just making you aware to take some of these suggestions with a grain of salt.
Thanks for a good post. I agree to some extent about the disconnect that can happen on forums such as this, but in this individual instance don't forget the context of Children's Hospital plus woman plus bus transit plus possible 3 am shift. If you take the bus out of the equation, everything becomes a lot less potentially problematic. Even if you take the 3 am part out. But together, it's a prescription for some caution.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:43 PM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
There's actually a very nice, $2.7 million Uptown Transit District bus stop at Children's that's well lit, has security cameras and real-time bus arrival information. I'd actually recommend catching the bus over driving because parking at Children's is a nightmare.

Rt 51 goes from Hyde Park, Oakley and Clifton to Children's.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
There's actually a very nice, $2.7 million Uptown Transit District bus stop at Children's that's well lit, has security cameras and real-time bus arrival information. I'd actually recommend catching the bus over driving because parking at Children's is a nightmare.

Rt 51 goes from Hyde Park, Oakley and Clifton to Children's.
Thanks for the post. If Children's couldn't be reached safely at any time of the day or night, I might think twice about declaring I am a Cincinnatian. Seems unbelievable to me. Or course I have been wrong on many more occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati