Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM

245 posts, read 333,747 times

Advertisements

Bob Castellini envisions Million dollar homes in OTR.
Castellini: Million-dollar homes in OTR's future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,823,654 times
Yes it may happen, but then you will be completely overriding the purpose of OTR in the beginning, starting with the name. OTR was a blue-collar neighborhood started by the Germans who immigrated here. There was nothing glamorous about it, just basic blue-collar living. So develop it into something which extends beyond its founding. That is typical of today's society. And years from now, when someone mentions Cincinnati was a machine tool powerhouse, just stop and wonder What? I guess that is what I wonder when I keep hearing this term progressive. Perhaps I wonder what is progressive if a city looses the ability to recognize what made it great.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 AM

610 posts, read 798,818 times
I didn't know Castellini was so involved with 3CDC. Million dollar homes aren't that far of a stretch. Simple google search shows single family condos going for nearly $700,000 already.

124 West Fourteenth St, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (MLS# 1427950) - Cincinnati OH Real Estate - cbws.com

Old 04-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes it may happen, but then you will be completely overriding the purpose of OTR in the beginning, starting with the name. OTR was a blue-collar neighborhood started by the Germans who immigrated here. There was nothing glamorous about it, just basic blue-collar living. So develop it into something which extends beyond its founding. That is typical of today's society. And years from now, when someone mentions Cincinnati was a machine tool powerhouse, just stop and wonder What? I guess that is what I wonder when I keep hearing this term progressive. Perhaps I wonder what is progressive if a city looses the ability to recognize what made it great.
This almost sounds like you'd be happy with OTR staying the crime ridden slum that it's been for 40 yrs.
You can't live in the past. There is nothing wrong with repurposing a neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
This almost sounds like you'd be happy with OTR staying the crime ridden slum that it's been for 40 yrs.
You can't live in the past. There is nothing wrong with repurposing a neighborhood.
Of course I am glad OTR has made a tremendous turnaround. But then ask me this, why not change the name? What is wrong with renaming a neighborhood when it no longer resembles its foundings? I'll tell you what is wrong, it simply will not happen. More arguments over what the new name should be than the city deserves over a lifetime.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,030,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
Agreed. Like life itself, all cities evolve over time (and sometimes radically so). Not only is OTR being repurposed, but so is the entire city. Otherwise, we'd all be living in a museum. For good reason, Cincinnati's raison d'etre can never be carved in stone.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Of course I am glad OTR has made a tremendous turnaround. But then ask me this, why not change the name? What is wrong with renaming a neighborhood when it no longer resembles its foundings? I'll tell you what is wrong, it simply will not happen. More arguments over what the new name should be than the city deserves over a lifetime.
No name change is needed. I haven't a clue as to why someone would want to. The name "Over The Rhine" will have historical significance no matter who occupies the buildings.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:37 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,959,477 times
Quote:
What is wrong with renaming a neighborhood when it no longer resembles its foundings?
When I was a student at UC the OTR was often referred to as "Over The Congo" I for one think it's a good thing that things are being fixed up, too bad it was not more widespread.

Have no fear, this effort should have no effect on Mason in any way.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
When I was a student at UC the OTR was often referred to as "Over The Congo" I for one think it's a good thing that things are being fixed up, too bad it was not more widespread.

Have no fear, this effort should have no effect on Mason in any way.
And if you think I have any fears over changes in Cincinnati affecting Mason, you have less observance than the majoriity of this city.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 PM

183 posts, read 197,704 times
I'm certainly excited to see the major turn around of OTR. While I was growing up, the most vivid recollection most of us had was the riots. While that was assuredly a stain on the city, it is incredible how far we have come. I love to see all of the new development while I am out and about on the weekend. Not just in OTR but all over the city. While it hasn't been perfect, I think I can safely say we are eons ahead of where we were a decade ago, and that is something every citizen of Cincinnati and the surrounding metropolis can be proud to proclaim. Cheers to good neighbors and a beautiful city! Let's keep tackling problems and getting things done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati