Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times

Advertisements

Famous family diner Frisch's Big Boy, the longest surviving Big Boy regional franchise and an iconic institution, has been sold by founding family members to an Atlanta investment firm. Hopefully this move will stabilize and expand operations for years to come. But it will be interesting to see what the future now holds, as Frisch's operates in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, with the national Big Boy chain and Bob's Big Boy remaining in Michigan and California. Overall, the Big Boy brand should be revitalized and go national once again. But Frisch's has survived whereas other former franchisees such as Shoney's have struggled. One notable distinction: Frisch's uses tartar sauce on their burgers, whereas the other Big Boy chains use 1,000 Island. And many Frisch's use the older style Big Boy statue with the hat, while others use the more modern style statue with the burger held in the air. Despite this major change in ownership, hopefully Frisch's will remain successful for years to come, and perhaps even eventually return to serving Coke products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:49 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Investment firms rarely invest in anything except their shareholders' pockets.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Ever hear of Shillito's, Pogue's, or Ayres?

Old 06-06-2015, 07:17 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Most dept. store predecessors have been merged into Macy's nationwide, including Lazarus, Kauffman's, Rich's, and Hecht's. But I hope Frisch's remains as a Big Boy franchise, unless it were to eventually be acquired by Bob's Big Boy or the national Big Boy corporation from Michigan, which is part of the same company. But Frisch's has always been successful as the last surviving Big Boy franchise, and I hope they remain. There are enough Denny's already, and the Big Boy brand is iconic and should be revitalized nationwide.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 PM

528 posts, read 823,829 times
I can't remember the last time I had an order of crispy (usually limp and barely warm) hot fries at Frisch's and, the Big Boy and Super Big Boy seem smaller every time I order them. Even so we eat there 3 or 4 times a month, we like their sandwichs and salad bar and the prices are very reasonable. Hopefully the sale is not the beginning of the end.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
Frisch's has gotten too expensive. $9 for a fish combo???? I guess we should expect higher prices now.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Investment firms rarely invest in anything except their shareholders' pockets.
Look no further than Wendy's. They used to have the best fast food hamburger by far. I couldn't get enough of those things. No I don't weigh 450 pounds. Once the financial guys and girls got in charge of Wendys after Dave Thomas died their hamburgers started getting awful. Now practically inedible.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll take a McDonald's burger over Wendys these days each and every day of the week.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Shillitos wasn't Shillitos since the Lazarus family bought it in 1929. They should have just put up the Macy's sign then.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:50 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Frisch's has gotten too expensive. $9 for a fish combo???? I guess we should expect higher prices now.
It's called Inflation. Check out the food prices in the grocery stores. Prices of most products have doubled in under five years.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It's called Inflation. Check out the food prices in the grocery stores. Prices of most products have doubled in under five years.
The cost of Icelandic Cod has doubled or tripled in the past ten years. The rest of the combo, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati