Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
It's like choosing who's going to be the first black MLB player or who's going to be the first black President.
True, I'm very glad we got the best possible for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 01:20 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
True, I'm very glad we got the best possible for both.
Yea, clearly.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
^The guy's name is Schneider, and he has thoroughly evaluated every possibility, from running a line up narrow, miserably hilly and curvy Vine St. to obtaining right of way via eminent domain or whatever to plow it up a shallower part of the hill and so on.

He knows exactly what he is talking about, and he knows how to get the job done right. Being someone who knows Cincinnati, its issues, and its needs decently well and certainly better than Bill Cunningham of the Hate Media, I 100% trust Schneider's judgment and that means the tunnel is the best way to get this done.

What I do not trust, and advise others to not trust, is a Hate Media talking head that has done nothing at all to make this city a better place, like Mr. Cunningham or his WLW cronies. They're the B-grade Fox News.... the ones who are too dumb to make it into the big leagues of the limelight on that network, or comparable news sources like Breitbart.com, etc.

So yeah, either you can trust the #'s a guy who has no qualifications spews out of his posterior cavity on Hate Media, or you can trust a guy who has actually ran the numbers, the FMEA, understands all the risks, how to navigate government to achieve what people actually want, etc. and can get the job done.

Your choice.
Nutley actually admitted on air that he does not know what needs to be done to bore a hole that long and obviously quite wide and high enough to accommodate a light rail car. They would have to make the tunnel large enough for two lines (one going in each direction) and to handle a Light Rail car in the event they upgrade the system. He also admitted that he had no clue as to the cost of the project.

If you want to trust someone that proposes such an ambitious project without first seeing if it is not only economically feasible let alone from an environmental standpoint then so be it. I won't.

A billion bucks or more is what this will cost. Glad I bought a home in KY.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
A billion bucks or more is what this will cost. Glad I bought a home in KY.
You get what you pay for

Old 10-31-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You get what you pay for
But there also has to be some logical reasoning behind trying to spend that much money for a large hole in the ground. These projects ALWAYS run way over budget. ALWAYS. And a city the size of Cincinnati cannot bear the entire cost on its taxpayers backs.

BTW. I listen to some of the talk on WLW. Some of the topics I don't like and others I do. I like the fact they have a lot of live, local news, weather and sports more than anything. Also regular traffic reports. Some of the talk show topics I find distasteful yet others are informative and offer a variety of opinions from both the talk show host and guest or guests.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
Flashes1. It gets worse.

I was listening to Bill Cunningham on WLW radio today and he interviewed the guy that apparently concocted the idea of bringing Slight Rail to Cincy. I think the guy's name is Steiner. Henceforth he shall be known as Nutley. Nutley indicated that he'd like to dig a mile long tunnel to UC and run the second leg of the project through the tunnel. Probably a couple of stops along the way that will be underground and have stairs and elevators going to the surface for riders.

I have started to do some research on such a project and can't find a specific dollar figure to dig per foot for a rail tunnel. But I was able to learn that with the kind of boring equipment they use to dig these tunnels they may be able to carve about 10 to 20 feet a day out of the earth. Bear in mind that a mile is 5,280 feet. Do the math and this will take 264 days at 20 feet per day.

I've also found that every such digging project in this country has not only taken far longer than anticipated to finish but cost over runs run rampant. The Big Dig in Boston was initially estimated to cost about 2 to 3 billion. Ended up being 14 billion. And the new high speed rail line between SF and LA is now projected to cost at least 68 billion and that project also includes several long tunnels.

If Nutley can somehow manage to convince the city of Cincinnati and its tax payers that building a tunnel a mile long for the Trolley will greatly benefit the city, I will have lost all faith in the people of the city to use common sense where spending public money is concerned.
John Schneider has a long track record of achievements, is forward-thinking, extremely positive, loves Cincinnati and knows the city well.

Willie Cunningham is a long time radio host who spews negativity about almost any subject including Great American Ballpark when it was in the planning stages. All he is concerned about is ratings, and negativity and controversy are great for ratings.

I've listened to Cunningham since I was a teenager and I am very familiar with his show.

Cincinnati needs forward-thinking individuals who can see that walkability of a city is the future. Property values are already up in the areas the streetcar will serve.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Ahem.... I'm under the impression that Cunningham is a product of Covington.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
John Schneider has a long track record of achievements, is forward-thinking, extremely positive, loves Cincinnati and knows the city well.

Willie Cunningham is a long time radio host who spews negativity about almost any subject including Great American Ballpark when it was in the planning stages. All he is concerned about is ratings, and negativity and controversy are great for ratings.

I've listened to Cunningham since I was a teenager and I am very familiar with his show.

Cincinnati needs forward-thinking individuals who can see that walkability of a city is the future. Property values are already up in the areas the streetcar will serve.
All I am saying is this. Where are they going to get the money??? You can't keep raising spending and taxes without a negative effect at some point. You have to find a way to balance must have services with revenue without hitting the people in the wallet too hard.

I would not call Cunningham a negative Nellie all of the time. At times he is a realist and certainly in this case, at least he had enough sense to know trying to dig a mile long hole to UC is not only foolish but a very costly project.

There are something like 7 or 8 large gopher holes underneath Cincy right now that were supposed to be used for a Subway. Never happened. And those were dug at a time when the city was actually really growing in population with an expanding tax base. Not in the current state where the population may be stable at best but also tens of thousands fewer than back in the day.

If Nutley and Debtrick somehow manage to convince the taxpayers of Cincy that digging this hole is a good thing, you better be prepared to see your property taxes skyrocket. And fees to use various city services will also rise dramatically.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,624 times
Quote:
But there also has to be some logical reasoning behind trying to spend that much money for a large hole in the ground. These projects ALWAYS run way over budget. ALWAYS. And a city the size of Cincinnati cannot bear the entire cost on its taxpayers backs.

BTW. I listen to some of the talk on WLW. Some of the topics I don't like and others I do. I like the fact they have a lot of live, local news, weather and sports more than anything. Also regular traffic reports. Some of the talk show topics I find distasteful yet others are informative and offer a variety of opinions from both the talk show host and guest or guests.
There is a 4 billion dollar sewer upgrade going on but somehow we are able to bare the costs.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
There is a 4 billion dollar sewer upgrade going on but somehow we are able to bare the costs.
And combine that with another billion or two as well as some others that are likely to come down the pike and before you know it the city is swimming in a sea of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati