Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times

Advertisements

Bad news for the elderly in NKY. Odd how funding is drying up despite the growing economy in the Cincinnati area.

NKY Senior Services shutting down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Bad news for the elderly in NKY. Odd how funding is drying up despite the growing economy in the Cincinnati area.

NKY Senior Services shutting down

Cincinnati,

I think this is/was a United Way agency. (I know that's where I complained.)

WILWRadio,

Thank you for the news. Probably would not have seen it as quickly otherwise. Big waste of time anytime contacted. Lot of incompetence.

Postscript: a few addenda details if anyone is interested:

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20...ERN%20KENTUCKY

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 10-20-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Odd how funding is drying up despite the growing economy in the Cincinnati area.
Donors are more discriminating. It's a competitive world, you know.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Cincinnati,

I think this is/was a United Way agency. (I know that's where I complained.)

WILWRadio,

Thank you for the news. Probably would not have seen it as quickly otherwise. Big waste of time anytime contacted. Lot of incompetence.

Postscript: a few addenda details if anyone is interested:

GUNN v. SENIOR SERVICES OF NORTHERN KENTUCKY by DAVID L. BUNNING, District Judge | Leagle.com

After reading this it seems apparent they hired someone that was not qualified to run the organization. Mismanaged it to the point it can't serve the community anymore. Sad.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:49 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
That's a shame. No doubt there are quite a few folks who depend on these services. The article didn't say who will be meeting those needs now, did it (typical Enquirer incomplete article)?

It's great to see a non-profit go out of business when its services are not needed. Unfortunately for the folks of Northern Kentucky, the demand for senior services is only going to rise in the next 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Donors are more discriminating. It's a competitive world, you know.
And who, exactly, is the competition? Who else provides the same scope of services in the community?

Quote:
After reading this it seems apparent they hired someone that was not qualified to run the organization. Mismanaged it to the point it can't serve the community anymore. Sad.
She was fired almost four years ago. That should have been enough time to start to right a listing ship, but instead the deficit kept growing. The mismanagement was more recent than when the previous ED was fired.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And who, exactly, is the competition? Who else provides the same scope of services in the community?
Brighton Center.

Brighton Center also provides housing for 55+, and housing for 62 or Disabled, plus they offer many other services.

Brighton Center | A Community of Support

www.brightoncenter.com/

Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Brighton Center.

Brighton Center also provides housing for 55+, and housing for 62 or Disabled, plus they offer many other services.

Brighton Center | A Community of Support

www.brightoncenter.com/

They aren't "that" good. I tried to rent one of their apartments once. The landlady where I was didn't read the lease right and gave me a formal notice for $3 that I didn't owe just before the end of the month. She was also a bit "out of it" in other ways. I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible as she had no inclination to be correcting her newly established lease, which amounted to putting in the correct renewal month.

Called two Brighton Center places and no one answered the telephone, so I betook myself personally to their main offices. The lady talked to me nicely and even half offered a cold drink. They were hiring a new manager for the one place. She would look into things, and I should call her back in "x" couple of weeks. I did so, right on the nose. She was on vacation back home in Indiana. I asked to speak with her boss. He was quite snarly because I expected her to be available (not on vacation) for an appointment she had made. So, okay, forget it.

About three months later I got a notice from them to come see an apartment they had available. By that time I had made other plans, but I went anyway to curiously follow up on the dealing. I did ask and plans can often be changed. Apart from the fact that there was no bathtub in the place and the one person office staff was only available two days per week (presumably long enough to pick up the mail and rent and write a lease if needed), the lady was literally under the impression that four months after the fact I would run there and just sign up. Yeah, well, if completely out on a limb, this kid looks for a motel.

FYI: At least some of the food is coming out of Cincinnati.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:34 AM

150 posts, read 171,902 times
One of the 'soft spots' in the nonprofit world is performance which would put a business out of business. Whether it be poor management or failure of board oversight or power seeking by board members lacking a serious outlook, nonprofits are often vulnerable. A nonprofit with an important mission, good staff performance, and adult board policy development is a valuable part of the community. After all, they are using someone else's money! Yours and mine.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:20 AM

Note especially for the Northern Kentucky element and interests (in case y'all don't know it yet):

Bellevue is discussing getting some services from the high school students. There's an article behind the paywall of the River City News.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
^ As for myself, I gave up trying to sneak past the River City News paywall; their protective measures finally outmatched my snooping ability. Too bad for me; their website proved to be an exceptional NKY news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati