Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

14 posts, read 79,910 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Cincinnati in June and are beginning our home search online. We are looking for the typical suburban life with 3,000+ sq ft, 4 BR, 2.5ba, 2 gar, etc, excellent schools, growing area, local gyms, good shopping, easy access to freeways, and low crime.

Our price range is $250-300k and some people have pointed me towards Sycamore and Princeton SD and other areas closer to Cinci, but looking at the houses, I was not thrilled with what I saw in my price range. Homes looked a little old for my taste.

I will either be working in Mason or downtown Cinci, will not know until March. I've narrowed down my search and think West Chester would be a great place to begin looking. I've heard about the 45 minute average drive to downtown, while that is close to the top of my commuting preference, I am very used to big-city traffic. While my current commute is only 25-30mn, I am very lucky as most of my neighbors have 45 mn to 1+hr.

I've been using sibcycline.com, but do not see much information about neighborhoods. Can you help with suggesting some of the nicer subdivisions that are within my price range? I would prefer to be one of the houses on the lower-to-middle-end of the neighborhood rather than having one of the larger houses of the neighborhood for personal reasons.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Also, are there any better websites where you can search by subdivision rather than town?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Might want to try liberty township, more new construction there (4bdrm, 2.5 ba, 2 car garage) - still the same schools as westchester (lakota), no appreciable difference in commute.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM

351 posts, read 1,873,516 times
I'm thrilled to hear that you've been turned on to Glendale! While the houses may be old, that's part of the reason why Glendale is considered a comparable to the other older, established communities in Cincinnati. In your price range, you would be able to live nicely in a 4 BR, 2.5 ba home at the lower end of the middle of Glendale. I'd be happy to propose some of the MLS listings in that range (or homes that might agree to come down to your range) through Direct Message.

If you're comfortable with Princeton (and I'm a huge fan), you could also look at Springdale or Evendale; both are newer subdivisions in the district and are about the same distance as Glendale from everything (Evendale is off I-75 and Springdale is off of 275).

Alternatively, you could look at Blue Ash or Mariemont (Blue Ash is.... west? but bordering Evendale. Mariemont is way the other side of town, but is a straight shot downtown or to Mason.)

You'll get a lot of feedback about West Chester. It's fine, with a lot of suburbia houses and a lot of suburban sprawl. Look in these other directions, too... and don't give up on Glendale. There are new homes being built, although we who are from there like the charm of the older.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Commute from Liberty Township

Briolat21, I have seen many houses in Liberty Township that I like, but when I mapquested it to downtown, they appeared to be roughly 27-28 miles away while W. Chester was around 23.

Not sure how traffic is in Cinci, but where I am from, going into the office at 8am and leaving between 5 and 6, it is roughly a 45 mn commute to get 25 miles. For every mile beyond that, the commute goes up quite a bit. For example, people traveling 27-28 miles, the commute is more like an hour with traffic.

Could you shed some light on the difference in Cinci and which freeways are worse?

Wastina, I will check on those areas you mentioned. Thank you.

Thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM

Most of the traffic problems you will have will be from below West Chester into the city. The backups start at about WestChester (exit 19 - Union Center), so if you were living North of there off of Tylersville, or Cincinnati Dayton - it really wouldn't add to you commute but a couple of minutes.

For Cinci - its all WHEN you're willing to drive in. I was living in Cincinnati (Northside) and commuting out to WestChester (the aforementioned exit 19). I normally left at about 6, 6:30. I could do it in 30 minutes. But if you left closer to 7 - forget about it.

Similarly, the oncoming traffic (headed South into the city) got heavier as you got closer to a typical commuter time (8am).

Traffic in Cincy is incredibly ugly for how small the city is and how close everything is. Its not LA or NY bad of course, but compared to metropolitan Detroit (where I'm from) its incredible how bad people are at driving 20 miles. Oh, and if it rains - there WILL be accidents, and that will slow it down more. Oh, and if it snows - forget about it.

The bonus with Liberty Twp (or most twps for that matter) is that the cities have income taxes in addition to property taxes.

Good luck!!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,917 times
I love Liberty Township used to live out nice area...shopping all around you...if you work in Mason it won't be far at all but working in Downtown area it will be futher drive..not sure if 71 is any better than 75...and God forbid it rain or snow a lil (car pile up)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 12,657 times
The scariest part of commuting to downtown Cinci from West Chester is the backup of cars trying to exit at the Tylersville Road exit of I-75 at 5 PM. This has been partially relieved in recent years with the additional exits built, but it can still back up. It would be instructional to make a test drive during morning and evening commute hours if you can. Not that that it is any different for any suburban to downtown commute, in Greater Cinci or otherwise. Still, I unabashedly love West Chester even though I moved away years ago. I still get up there occasionally to work on my rental house.

If you might work in Mason, that is also a good choice. Houses are slightly newer and pricier in the Mason area than in Union Township. Schools are great in both areas. Lakota HS (E and W) are among Ohio's best high schools. The higher ranked ones typically have nose bleed priced real estate associated with them.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincibound08 View Post
Briolat21, I have seen many houses in Liberty Township that I like, but when I mapquested it to downtown, they appeared to be roughly 27-28 miles away while W. Chester was around 23.

Not sure how traffic is in Cinci, but where I am from, going into the office at 8am and leaving between 5 and 6, it is roughly a 45 mn commute to get 25 miles. For every mile beyond that, the commute goes up quite a bit. For example, people traveling 27-28 miles, the commute is more like an hour with traffic.

Could you shed some light on the difference in Cinci and which freeways are worse?

Wastina, I will check on those areas you mentioned. Thank you.

Thank you.

Just wondering, where are you moving from?

And to others from Cincinnati. Can you say Cinci or Cincy, does it really matter?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:54 PM

There was a whole thread regarding Cinci vs. Cincy a while back. Apparenlty only tacky outsiders use Cincy. Since I am new to the area, I will happily wear the label tacky outsider without insult. Besides I just type Cincy automatically .. and who can fight the fingers natural typing instinct!!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Default What about the Park and Ride as an option to the city?

Traverler87, Moving from Houston

Does the Metro bus have a high occupancy vehicle lane it uses to get downtown quicker or is it just the convenience of not dealing with traffic?

We have one in Houston, but I have been blessed with no more than an 11 mile commute for the last four years so never needed to use it

Actually, now that I think about it, I've never been on a public transportation bus ever except the ones for special events with limo tint....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati