Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 PM

53 posts, read 70,274 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Cincinnati and see some nice homes under $375k have sold in North Avondale area. I will be working at the hospitals in Clifton. I am looking for something less than 15 minutes from work and closer to the city. I used to live in Cincinnati 20 years ago so I have some knowledge of the area. It was a rough area back then but I am wondering if it's worth investing in North Avondale right now. I really wanted to be in East Walnut Hills but I have not seen much on the market there.

I like Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Columbia Tusculum, Mariemont but haven't found anything nice enough in my price range (under $400k) there. I want at least 2500 square feet and a nice yard for the kids and dog. I have 2 kids under 3 years old so having access to good daycare options and eventually elementary school is important to me. However, I have no problem sending my kids to private school if I can have a really nice house.

I am not too worried about the neighborhood unless my home will get broken into or my kids/my life will be in danger or if it would not be safe for the kids to play in the yard. Car getting broken into or bike stolen from the yard is no big deal. I used to live in Gaslight Clifton and that could happen there. I felt safe walking around Gaslight area but I think NA is not quite that safe. I think I'd be fine in North Avondale but I wanted to check to make sure it hasn't gotten much worse there especially on streets like Winding Way next to Xavier and Red Bud, Beechwood, Rose Hill, etc.

Gaslight Clifton is still on my list and I'm leaning towards there but the houses don't seem as nice as the houses on the prime streets in North Avondale and East Walnut Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
I think you have a good grasp on North Avondale. It's a city neighborhood but for the most part it is a safe place to live and raise a family. It has a very strong sense of community and people definitely look out for each other.

My family lives in East Walnut Hills but we have many friends who live in North Avondale. Our only reason for choosing EWH over NA was the lack of amenities. It is a bit farther to the closest grocery and there really isn't a business district within walking distance. That said the housing stock is incredible.

New life, new family for North Avondale mansion

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Rose Hill, Avon Fields, Red Bud, Betula, etc. are all great streets.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
North Avondale is a collection of fine houses without a neighborhood. No place for children unless they are on house arrest.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 AM

610 posts, read 796,817 times
Some of the streets in NA are just amazing. It's often overlooked for what Mimi mentioned, the lack of a business district. North Avondale Montessori is a magnet, if your children are unable to good into it, I'm not sure which neighborhood school it would be. Probably Rockdale (same as gaslight) but not a school I'd recommend. NA also has Clinton Hills Swim Club, which is a pretty neat feature.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
My husband and I looked a lot at North Avondale when we returned to Cincinnati 16 years ago. Some of the housing stock is beautiful, but I believe there's more likelihood there than in places like Gaslight Clifton of ending up with a run-down or ill-maintained property near your own, negatively affecting your property value. I also am very sensitive to crime issues, and in the end I decided I didn't want to live in such close proximity to Avondale itself. That, of course, would be considered overblown in a lot of people's minds. I agree with Wilson that it's a less than ideal place for kids, although ideal in my mind, again, would not be such an urban area. Then again, I wrote off buying a house on Greendale in Clifton Gaslight after I watched a crazy acting guy walking up the street waving a handgun. I realized naps on the beautiful large front porch weren't going to be an option.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 AM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
I disagree with the thought that it's not child friendly. The majority of the people I know who live in NA have younger children. The kids play & ride bikes on the residential streets. Clinton Hills Swim Club is just around the bend with swimming, tennis and a huge outdoor playground. You can even play at The New School or (gasp) go to the Rec Center.

Yes, most of these activities will require you to go with them. You'd go with them in any neighborhood, right?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
I disagree with the thought that it's not child friendly. The majority of the people I know who live in NA have younger children. The kids play & ride bikes on the residential streets. Clinton Hills Swim Club is just around the bend with swimming, tennis and a huge outdoor playground. You can even play at The New School or (gasp) go to the Rec Center.

Yes, most of these activities will require you to go with them. You'd go with them in any neighborhood, right?
I guess I've made no secret on the forum that if I had kids I'd move heaven and earth to get into either the Wyoming, Sycamore or Beechwood districts. I do think kids would be more safe and secure out and about in Wyoming, Montgomery, or several other areas. The OP did, though, specify an inner ring suburb when they set up the criterion of 15 minutes from work. I approve of that, too! So there are going to be some potential security issues regardless.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM

This is all good feedback. Yes, my criteria to be close to work almost forces me to live in a less than 100% safe area. I'd love to be in Hyde Park or Mount Lookout, but the homes and yards are much smaller for the price. I could probably do East Walnut Hills (although nothing is on the market there right now), Gaslight Clifton or North Avondale only on those prime streets. Would the crime be much higher in North Avondale than the others. Would driving home and to work be dangerous, especially at night moreso in North Avondale?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Some of the streets in NA are just amazing. It's often overlooked for what Mimi mentioned, the lack of a business district. North Avondale Montessori is a magnet, if your children are unable to good into it, I'm not sure which neighborhood school it would be. Probably Rockdale (same as gaslight) but not a school I'd recommend. NA also has Clinton Hills Swim Club, which is a pretty neat feature.
I would try to get into Fairview in Clifton. If not, I think I would go private school if I lived there. NA Montessori hasn't impressed me but if you all know something that I do not, I'm open to taking a look. Fairview seems really nice. Is NA Montessori just like that or a couple steps below?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati