Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 08:08 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

Some place in the northern part of Cincinnati/Hamilton county there is (?) an organization/group that accepts old but still usable computers and more or less gives them away. They wipe them clean, fix any simple problems and fix them for re-use, then give them to people like low-income individuals in some kind of a home. At least that was the case two-three years ago.

I don't remember the details, but there may be a small fee for something like the latest version of Windows. It's not exclusively for Hamilton county. They did have a contact at least in Northern Kentucky.

I don't need one. I have a couple that could use a new home (just gimme my stuff off of it). And, I lost the advertising flyer they put out quite some time ago. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Perhaps a local church may want it? Years ago I donated one to a church in Minnesota through a friend there.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Perhaps a local church may want it? Years ago I donated one to a church in Minnesota through a friend there.
It ...? Including this one I'm using which currently works I've got five, two in storage. And, I can easily find someone in this old folks' apartment building who would like one. I was going to get the best "extra" operational and loan it to a friend, but he died a few months ago.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Many devices inside the box retain your confidential information. Not just the hard drive. There are people for whom a search of these devices is as easy as you sending an email. I would not do anything with a obsolete computer other than remove the hard drive, drill a few holes in it and toss the box in the solid waste container. If a local charity needs the value of an old pc or laptop, put a fiver in an envelope and drop it in their basket.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Many devices inside the box retain your confidential information. Not just the hard drive. There are people for whom a search of these devices is as easy as you sending an email. I would not do anything with a obsolete computer other than remove the hard drive, drill a few holes in it and toss the box in the solid waste container. If a local charity needs the value of an old pc or laptop, put a fiver in an envelope and drop it in their basket.

Excellent advice in many, many cases. However, I personally don't do money or confidential stuff (or bad things) online. If someone happens across my grandmother's maiden name or digs out my point average in 1958 I don't think I'll lose much, assuming he/she can find me at all. The stuff I want off the things is stuff like pictures and essays that aren't anywhere else.

In fact, I just filed release of information papers with the state to get information out of my records that some people refused to give me on the basis of confidentiality -- which I intend to give to someone else.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 AM

51 posts, read 59,823 times
You're probably thinking of the Cincinnati Computer Cooperative up in Wyoming. I've volunteered for them a number of times, and they'll do the "right stuff" with your old computers.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdipper80 View Post
You're probably thinking of the Cincinnati Computer Cooperative up in Wyoming. I've volunteered for them a number of times, and they'll do the "right stuff" with your old computers.
Thank you!

I dug out their website and looked through it. That does sound like the place, although I thought it a little farther north than Wyoming.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 PM

God bless 'em!

Well, if you're old like me....

My mouse died, which by accident led to some complete loss, like my 900 bookmarks as well as the ability to use the computer as normal.

They ain't finished yet, but obviously I'm back online marginally.

Link later, am still figuring out stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati