Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,093 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have owned a small home near Pleasant Ridge for about 10 years, and we're thinking about moving w/in the Cincy area - mainly to gain more space! We love our neighborhood, but oh, how the stuff accumulates...

We've run across a home we really love, but it's in Finneytown, which I know almost nothing about. Reading through some older threads around here is making me cautious. Our current home lost a lot of value shortly after we bought, and it's just now gaining most of that back; we don't want to do that again. What's the deal with Finneytown? How has it done over the last decade, and what's the prognosis for the next couple? More than real estate appreciation, I'm interested in the life of the 'hood - are businesses thriving or fleeing? What KIND of businesses? If I'm going to give up my Oakley Kroger and beloved Fresh Thyme, what will I get in return? Does anyone move into Finneytown who didn't grow up there?

Help me decide whether this is a tremendously bad idea or just what we need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM

224 posts, read 297,481 times
I personally wouldn't buy in Finneytown. It could go in either direction 5 or 10 years from now. There's a chance it could be better then, also a chance it won't be. On the other hand, Pleasant Ridge will probably still be a good place to live in 5 or 10 years.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
My parents moved from Ann Arbor to Finneytown in 1994. My brother and I grew up there, attended their public schools, and went on to become successful adults.

My parents sold their 3 BR ranch that they bought in 1994 for 120k in 2011 for... 120k. Disappointing, I know. They bought a larger house in the same neighborhood for just under 200k and plan to retire there. There are many nice blocks scattered throughout Finneytown where houses have held their value relatively well. There are other areas that I would definitely avoid buying in.

Finneytown's "business district" stretches approximately 0.7 miles along Winton Rd. from Reynard Ave to Galbraith Rd. The best way to describe it is "Colerain Ave Lite" - lots of chain restaurants, a few drug stores, some low end retail, and a few bars.

While perhaps lacking some of Pleasant Ridge's overall character, Finneytown still has a bit going for it (central location in Hamilton County and a strong sense of community within some underrated neighborhoods).

If you have questions about specific streets, feel free to send me a private message.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
People here prefer to live on the East side for a lot of reasons. Price is not one of them. But, most of the rest are. So, you can move to the southern part of Finneytown and be safe and fairly convenient. But it is not going to appreciate and the quality of your life will suffer for it. But, you will get more space for the money. Your choice.

PS: More space is way overrated.

Last edited by Wilson513; 04-28-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 08:11 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
I spend quite a bit of time in and around Finneytown, and I know a number of people who live there. Cinci Expert's post is solid information, and to respond most effectively to your question I'd also need to know more about what part of Finneytown you're looking at.

I consider the overall trajectory of Finneytown to be downward, but based on 17 years of recent observation, I think that trajectory is VERY SLOW. It's a rather spread-out area so in the right parts, your immediate neighborhood might change little or none in the next 15 years.

You will not have the same access to amenities there you do in Pleasant Ridge. I personally think living in a house I love on the west side of town makes it worth it to drive to the east side when I want to do things like patronize the businesses in the Rookwood area, for example. Or visit my east-side primary care physician. Pretty sure my own house (not in Finneytown but also west side) would cost an additional $100K if it were in a high-status neighborhood, but as it is, it's quiet and safe and after 17 years my husband and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taceysue View Post
My husband and I have owned a small home near Pleasant Ridge for about 10 years, and we're thinking about moving w/in the Cincy area - mainly to gain more space! We love our neighborhood, but oh, how the stuff accumulates...

We've run across a home we really love, but it's in Finneytown, which I know almost nothing about. Reading through some older threads around here is making me cautious. Our current home lost a lot of value shortly after we bought, and it's just now gaining most of that back; we don't want to do that again. What's the deal with Finneytown? How has it done over the last decade, and what's the prognosis for the next couple? More than real estate appreciation, I'm interested in the life of the 'hood - are businesses thriving or fleeing? What KIND of businesses? If I'm going to give up my Oakley Kroger and beloved Fresh Thyme, what will I get in return? Does anyone move into Finneytown who didn't grow up there?

Help me decide whether this is a tremendously bad idea or just what we need!
Just one additional observation to my other posting. If your house purchase was affected by the economic collapse of 2008, that might have little or nothing to do with the neighborhood itself. It's my understanding that overall property values in Pleasant Ridge have been pretty solid, and should remain so.

But as someone now solidly in my golden years, I sometimes urge people away from thinking of their homes as first and foremost an "investment." Sure, most middle class people cannot afford a large loss of property value, but it's important to try to acquire a home you enjoy living in--because the years you do live in it are ones you can never get back.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM

649 posts, read 817,019 times
I think that the residential part of Finneytown that is essentially Wyoming is a solid bet but if you have kids in school I think you could do better for the same price in Anderson.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,093 times
Lots of great info - thanks to everyone who responded so far, and I'll quote/respond in detail below. Based on everything here, it seems like Finneytown is pretty variable, like much of Cincy. Probably true of Springfield Township as well? Since several people asked, the house we're looking at is close to Whitaker Elementary School, west of Winton Rd. Looked like a pretty nice zone, but as I said, I'm not familiar with that area at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I personally wouldn't buy in Finneytown. It could go in either direction 5 or 10 years from now. There's a chance it could be better then, also a chance it won't be. On the other hand, Pleasant Ridge will probably still be a good place to live in 5 or 10 years.
Thanks for this - tough call, I know. And PR is a great area - would recommend to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
[snip] There are many nice blocks scattered throughout Finneytown where houses have held their value relatively well. There are other areas that I would definitely avoid buying in.

Finneytown's "business district" stretches approximately 0.7 miles along Winton Rd. from Reynard Ave to Galbraith Rd. The best way to describe it is "Colerain Ave Lite" - lots of chain restaurants, a few drug stores, some low end retail, and a few bars. [snip]
This is all great analysis - thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
[snip]So, you can move to the southern part of Finneytown and be safe and fairly convenient. But it is not going to appreciate...[snip]
Good to know regarding the appreciation - that's in line with what others are saying and what I've seen. I'm more worried about an overall decline in the neighborhood rather than an individual home's value.

Question - you say the 'southern part of Finneytown' - what's the boundary for that? South of Reagan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
[snip]I consider the overall trajectory of Finneytown to be downward, but based on 17 years of recent observation, I think that trajectory is VERY SLOW. It's a rather spread-out area so in the right parts, your immediate neighborhood might change little or none in the next 15 years.

You will not have the same access to amenities there you do in Pleasant Ridge. I personally think living in a house I love on the west side of town makes it worth it to drive to the east side when I want to do things like patronize the businesses in the Rookwood area, for example. Or visit my east-side primary care physician. Pretty sure my own house (not in Finneytown but also west side) would cost an additional $100K if it were in a high-status neighborhood, but as it is, it's quiet and safe and after 17 years my husband and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.
Very helpful! I don't have a major problem with continuing to patronize my usual Eastside businesses, and I agree that a home we love is worth some driving. The downward trajectory is a concern, but it's starting to sound like even that trajectory may not apply to certain areas. How do you feel about the particular area I'm looking at (Whitaker Elem)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
[snip]But as someone now solidly in my golden years, I sometimes urge people away from thinking of their homes as first and foremost an "investment." Sure, most middle class people cannot afford a large loss of property value, but it's important to try to acquire a home you enjoy living in--because the years you do live in it are ones you can never get back.
Quoted for truth! I can't really add anything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I think that the residential part of Finneytown that is essentially Wyoming is a solid bet but if you have kids in school I think you could do better for the same price in Anderson.
Which part would that be? And, apologies to the Anderson fans, but that's much too far out to be a consideration for me.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I would say generally south of Galbraith.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Just to clarify: there is no part of Finneytown (or Springfield Township) that is essentially Wyoming. A property is either in Wyoming or it isn't. It's a separate municipality. And once you cross that jurisdictional border into Wyoming, prices will be noticeably higher, due to the school system and the amenities the city provides residents. That said, the areas that border Wyoming certainly should be solid as far as neighborhood stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati