Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM

245 posts, read 1,273,391 times

Advertisements

I drive out there [from EWH] for occasional visits to Clermont College...

* The rural landscape is beautiful.
* It's very quickly being paved over by badly zoned suburbia. Hopefully it slows down some with the banking crises.
* Eastbound traffic on Rt 32 between 275 and Batavia is AWFUL between 4 and 6pm (ditto for the other arteries going east of 275). I've never had to drive west during the AM rush but I can only guess that it's just as bad going toward 275 ( Rt 32 needs an expressway upgrade out to Batavia at the very least to keep the traffic moving east of stripmall land) .
* The shopping on Rt 32 is decent for necessities (every franchise you can dream of) and most of the people working at the stores are way friendlier than people in Cincinnati. The shoppers are a mix of suburban commuter types which can range from very trendy / yuppies to JC Penney church goers with jesus fish on their minivans. And then you have the "Tina Rae an Bubba wearing their his & hers Cabala's huntin' gear to Wal-Mart" crowd.
* Batavia is a really cool, well preserved tiny town. It's going to be swallowed up by bad development if the people out that way don't organize to control it.
* Clermont Co is on the cusp of Appalachia so it can be very "country" out that way (I'm not too sure I'd live out that way if I were black / Jewish / Asian / Gay). I think everyone is generally safe in those custom home developments though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
* It's very quickly being paved over by badly zoned suburbia. Hopefully it slows down some with the banking crises.
There were some, uh, aggressive planning and engineering types in charge beginning about 15 years ago. It was their dream to turn grass and trees into concrete and macadam. And it seems like they're succeeding.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM

28 posts, read 109,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There were some, uh, aggressive planning and engineering types in charge beginning about 15 years ago. It was their dream to turn grass and trees into concrete and macadam. And it seems like they're succeeding.
Because Butler and Warren are different?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Once again, Igor, I don't understand your point. If you'll ask your questions in more specific terms, I'll be happy to play along.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Once again, Igor, I don't understand your point. If you'll ask your questions in more specific terms, I'll be happy to play along.
Ok...

Do you have the same complaints about the development in Butler & Warren Counties as you do about Clermont?

To me, they are similar. Do you agree?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM

245 posts, read 1,273,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor1977 View Post
Ok...

Do you have the same complaints about the development in Butler & Warren Counties as you do about Clermont?

To me, they are similar. Do you agree?
Similar in SOME respects, but then both Butler and Warren have two 6 lane expressways running the length of both counties and thus they don't have near the traffic headaches of Clermont Co. Clermont has what should be highways (ie rt 32), but the highways have become driveways for all the shopping centers and now it's a huge headache to get from 275 into the heart of Clermont Co.

Rt 32 needs an expressway upgrade at least out to Batavia. Highways were never intended to become driveways for big box stores, and yet this is exactly what has happened all over Ohio. Whoever did the "pave over Clermont Co" planning did an awful job when it comes to transportation planning. It also takes many years to lobby ODOT for much needed upgrades so an upgrade isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM

Butler and Warren counties also are sandwiched between two large cities, where Clermont is not (unless you count Mt. Orab as a major city, LOL).

One pave-over that was certainly worth it was Clermont College, though. It truly is a gem that's become the educational and cultural center of the county. And can you believe that, at one point, not all credits from Clermont were transferable to UC?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Similar in SOME respects, but then both Butler and Warren have two 6 lane expressways running the length of both counties and thus they don't have near the traffic headaches of Clermont Co. Clermont has what should be highways (ie rt 32), but the highways have become driveways for all the shopping centers and now it's a huge headache to get from 275 into the heart of Clermont Co.

Rt 32 needs an expressway upgrade at least out to Batavia. Highways were never intended to become driveways for big box stores, and yet this is exactly what has happened all over Ohio. Whoever did the "pave over Clermont Co" planning did an awful job when it comes to transportation planning. It also takes many years to lobby ODOT for much needed upgrades so an upgrade isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Mikey, I really don't think you can compare 75, 71 and 32. Completely different. No one uses 32 like they use the interstates.

I do agree that 32 should be made into a full blown highway.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Butler and Warren counties also are sandwiched between two large cities, where Clermont is not (unless you count Mt. Orab as a major city, LOL).

One pave-over that was certainly worth it was Clermont College, though. It truly is a gem that's become the educational and cultural center of the county. And can you believe that, at one point, not all credits from Clermont were transferable to UC?
You really didn't answer my question. So I'll take that as you don't mind the development in Butler or Warren but for some reason the development in Clermont touches a nerve. Makes sense to me...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 AM

71 posts, read 229,543 times
Quote:
I drive out there [from EWH] for occasional visits to Clermont College...

* The rural landscape is beautiful.
* Eastbound traffic on Rt 32 between 275 and Batavia is AWFUL between 4 and 6pm (ditto for the other arteries going east of 275). I've never had to drive west during the AM rush but I can only guess that it's just as bad going toward 275 ( Rt 32 needs an expressway upgrade out to Batavia at the very least to keep the traffic moving east of stripmall land) .
* The shopping on Rt 32 is decent for necessities (every franchise you can dream of) and most of the people working at the stores are way friendlier than people in Cincinnati. The shoppers are a mix of suburban commuter types which can range from very trendy / yuppies to JC Penney church goers with jesus fish on their minivans. And then you have the "Tina Rae an Bubba wearing their his & hers Cabala's huntin' gear to Wal-Mart" crowd.
* Batavia is a really cool, well preserved tiny town. It's going to be swallowed up by bad development if the people out that way don't organize to control it.
* Clermont Co is on the cusp of Appalachia so it can be very "country" out that way (I'm not too sure I'd live out that way if I were black / Jewish / Asian / Gay). I think everyone is generally safe in those custom home developments though.
Lol funny you mentioned that at the end . Im "so called " as labeled black. But I really like it down in that area. After growing up in the city for so long I like the idea of getting away from all the hectic life which entails inner cincy and dayton. I was thinking about buying a home near milford,goshen etc..

Well hopefully people even if they dont like you because of skin color will just leave me and my family in peace if we choose to live in Clermont County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati