Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,006 times

Advertisements

Good luck.

You'll do much better with local ownership than we did with the carpetbaggers, but I have to wonder if in the long run the Reds don't draw the limited dollars available for entertainment. I'm guessing after the novelty wears off, it's going to be an uphill battle.

At least very few tax dollars are being used, so I give you that. You learned your lesson about public stadiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM

124 posts, read 138,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Why isn't Cincinnati pursuing an NBA or NHL franchise and instead of a new MLS Stadium, upgrade and replace its old and outdated riverfront arena?

An upgraded or brand new arena would reap more benefits for the city generally.
If the NHL was seeking new teams for league expansion and the Cincinnati Cyclones were pulling in insane numbers of fans (30,000 people) which garnered national media attention and outsold half the teams already in the NHL, then I’m sure we would be talking about a new hockey franchise. However, this didn’t happen in hockey. It happened for a little soccer team called FC Cincinnati with a wealthy and savy business owner who had MLS as the goal along.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Good luck.

You'll do much better with local ownership than we did with the carpetbaggers, but I have to wonder if in the long run the Reds don't draw the limited dollars available for entertainment. I'm guessing after the novelty wears off, it's going to be an uphill battle.

At least very few tax dollars are being used, so I give you that. You learned your lesson about public stadiums.
Are you suggesting that soccer is a fad or that the fans who attend these games will lose interest?

I hear this argument all the time. They think that people will certainly stop going to FC Cincinnati games once the Reds and Bengals get good again. I have had several friends say this as well. Mind you, they don’t like soccer, so they are quite out of touch on the culture of where this sport is heading.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Yep, soccer is the future and Cincinnati has proven to be a soccer hotbed. People are still negative because they don't like it, so they can't understand how anyone else can. FCC is not the enemy of the Reds or the Bengals. Reds/baseball and Bengals/football have their own issues. The Reds are in constant state of rebuild, the games last too long, the season is too long and you can't have fun in baseball. Something as small as flipping a bat will cause "baseball purists" to flip out. The Bengals are perennially mediocre who despite fan demands retained an unpopular coach, PBS is not family friendly. Football is also too long, with too many commercials and will have a problem attracting top talent because of the danger of concussions.

FCC games are family friendly, there's no break in the action, games only last 2 hours and the sport is beloved by Millennial's. Along with the NBA, MLS is clearly trending upwards against the NFL and MLB.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Yep, soccer is the future and Cincinnati has proven to be a soccer hotbed. People are still negative because they don't like it, so they can't understand how anyone else can. FCC is not the enemy of the Reds or the Bengals. Reds/baseball and Bengals/football have their own issues. The Reds are in constant state of rebuild, the games last too long, the season is too long and you can't have fun in baseball. Something as small as flipping a bat will cause "baseball purists" to flip out. The Bengals are perennially mediocre who despite fan demands retained an unpopular coach, PBS is not family friendly. Football is also too long, with too many commercials and will have a problem attracting top talent because of the danger of concussions.

FCC games are family friendly, there's no break in the action, games only last 2 hours and the sport is beloved by Millennial's. Along with the NBA, MLS is clearly trending upwards against the NFL and MLB.
I’d agree with all of that. I enjoy FCC soccer but I am actually a bigger Reds fan despite how painful it has become lately. With that said, by no means do I like baseball better than soccer! I am die hard Tottenham fan and pretty much just watch Premier League and Champions League soccer games. One problem MLS has compared to the other sport leagues in this country is its far from the best in the world. MLS is where the best players in the world retire when their too slow elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Cincinnati Reds truly have dreadful fans no offense, you can buy a ticket for the Reds for 5 dollars, I have paid more for minor league baseball games than Reds games before. NY and Boston baseball tickets go for 80 to 200 dollars a game. Rebuilding is a problem but the Reds are still a Major League baseball team that is a huge draw in most cities. I lived in Cincinnati and now in Nashville we would love to have an MLB team here. FCC and pro soccer is going to be big in Nashville and Cincinnati and it is the biggest draw in Atlanta, MLS is the future.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:19 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:

Not a good combination to have a team (Reds) that is a cellar dweller in a sport where spontaneity is so frowned upon. I don't even mind if the game is long if the players were allowed to have some personality and spontaneity during the game. The bottom line is that sports is entertainment and if it is not entertaining people will not show up except for diehard fans.

In the case of Boston you have an iconic historic stadium in Fenway Park that instills a sense of awe and wonderment. It also helps that Fenway park has an outfield wall with odd angles and a very high wall called the Green Monster to reduce cheap home runs due to the barrier's relatively close distance to home plate. The Green Monster gives the game excitement due to the unpredictability of what may happen when line drives are hit to the outfield. In New York's case you have the most successful wealthiest franchise in baseball history in a 20 million densely populated metropolitan area.

Sports is entertainment so any stadium that is isolated in a dull section of town devoid of anyplace or anything entertaining to do before or after a game is going to suffer in attendance. That is one big reason why FC Cincinnati has good attendance numbers while MLS teams in Philly, DC and Columbus are not faring as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:29 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:

Games too long? Sounds like people have no patience and a short attention span if they can't handle sitting and watching a game for three hours. What about a concert, opera, theater or a movie? Some exceed three hours and people don't complain about the length of the event. The problem with the NFL is the politics being forced into the game by some people and it is repulsing fans in droves. And injuries such as concussions have been a part of the game since its inception. Never deterred the best players from trying to join the NFL. Players know the risks going in. All sports including soccer have serious injuries that occur and they are a part of the game.

I am completely indifferent to soccer but recognize it is a growing sport and that pro soccer is a benefit to the area or any area where people like it and support it. I think it would have been wiser to build the new stadium in a place where the local community welcomed it.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Not a good combination to have a team (Reds) that is a cellar dweller in a sport where spontaneity is so frowned upon. I don't even mind if the game is long if the players were allowed to have some personality and spontaneity during the game. The bottom line is that sports is entertainment and if it is not entertaining people will not show up except for diehard fans.

In the case of Boston you have an iconic historic stadium in Fenway Park that instills a sense of awe and wonderment. It also helps that Fenway park has an outfield wall with odd angles and a very high wall called the Green Monster to reduce cheap home runs due to the barrier's relatively close distance to home plate. The Green Monster gives the game excitement due to the unpredictability of what may happen when line drives are hit to the outfield. In New York's case you have the most successful wealthiest franchise in baseball history in a 20 million densely populated metropolitan area.

Sports is entertainment so any stadium that is isolated in a dull section of town devoid of anyplace or anything entertaining to do before or after a game is going to suffer in attendance. That is one big reason why FC Cincinnati has good attendance numbers while MLS teams in Philly, DC and Columbus are not faring as well.
The Kansas City Royals and Chiefs have their stadiums located in a part of the city that is comprised of a residential area and a couple of hotels nearby. Not much else. And Foxboro? Attendance doesn't suffer as a result. The play of the team is what impacts the attendance.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The Kansas City Royals and Chiefs have their stadiums located in a part of the city that is comprised of a residential area and a couple of hotels nearby. Not much else. And Foxboro? Attendance doesn't suffer as a result. The play of the team is what impacts the attendance.
NFL stadiums can afford to be in places where nothing is happening due to the popularity of the sport and limited number of games played per year. The NFL , NBA, and MLB are leagues that have the financial wherewithal due to the TV contracts that even the small market teams will never be on shaky financial ground if attendance starts to dip. MLS does not have that luxury hence the requirement for Billionaire owners that own their stadiums in locations in areas that has a good street life (or decent probability) due to diversity of other places to walk to and frequent with a population living there able to keep those places economically viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati