Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM

156 posts, read 631,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
I went to school in Cincinnati and now live in Austin. I can tell you the differences:

For hiking or camping, you're looking at a couple hour drive at the least. For rock climbing, you'll be indoors or on a wall of an abandoned structure.
Come on, that's just not true. Try finding something like this in Texas:
http://www.redrivergorge.com/
If you don't believe me, take a short drive into the Daniel Boone National forest and check it out. This is not far as long as you don't live in some northern suburb of the city.

But I digress. You've heard a lot of things about Cincinnati, but not much about the nasty vs. Cleveland. These cities may technically be in the same state, but if you were to make the long drive up north, you would find they are simply different parts of the country in terms of climate, culture, spoken accent and pretty much everything else you can think of. Cleveland is progressive and is northeastern almost, or just central northern; cincinnati is a mix of southern and midwestern culture.

If you are looking at schools in the nati definately check out NKU as well as UC. NKU is up and coming, affordable, and beginning to gain more respect in town than UC, which is unfortunately in a downward spiral (and situated in the ghetto basically). Also, don't count out Thomas Moore college, a smaller school in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Actually UC is doing the opposite of losing respect. It has a freshman waiting list and a 35K+ student base. NKU will never hang with the big boys (UC & XU).

Also, I'd like to mention NKU will never have the awesome urban atmosphere that UC enjoys. Just Ludlow alone destroys anything in the NKU highland heights area.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 136,404 times
The original poster asked for reasonably priced universities or community colleges. NKU is a perfect fit; UC is not a "commuter school" and definitely not cheap. I have alot of respect for UC & XU, but that wasn't the question.

NKU also has the area's newest (only?) traffic circle.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM

80 posts, read 344,650 times
Having lived in Cleveland and Cincinnati, I'll advocate for Cleveland when it comes to the criteria of public transport, good colleges and somewhere to walk the dog. Cuyahoga Community College is excellent and Cleveland State University has satellite campuses as well as being easily accessible downtown. John Carroll University also has a good reputation and has a nice location in an inner-ring suburb (University Heights) and Case Western is a top-tier school. The public transportation is top-notch -- the city and inner-ring suburb of Shaker Heights are served by the awesome RTA trains and you will be well-served by buses. Inner ring suburbs such as University Heights, Shaker Heights and South Euclid have a great range of housing options, sidewalks galore for walking your dog and small parks. Yes, there is lake effect snow in Cleveland!

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM

80 posts, read 344,650 times
If you want to check out rental prices in Shaker Heights, see:

City of Shaker Heights - Relocation Assistance (http://www.shakeronline.com/relocation/listings.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati