Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM

381 posts, read 277,644 times

Advertisements

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a6683281.html

tps://www.insider.co.uk/news/edinburgh-tram-inquiry-john-carson-12295822

Look familiar?. We had the same problems here, although, i think at a greater financial and business's cost than Cincinatti's. Politicians grandstanding with taxpayers money. Our ridership is increasing though and we are probably going to extend the line soon but,no doubt over budget and time as usual. What cost was kansas city's streetcar and how can they balance the cost/budget with free ridership?. Our fare is $2.25 one way,do you think if Cincinatti's streetcar was free, ridership would greatly improve?. You have to give trams traffic priority over cars as we do or the whole benefit of taking the tram over the car evaporates. Anyway i will be back in your fine city of Cincinatti for the third time in five years on holiday for "Taste of Cincinatti"(Oktoberfest last time)so will try the trams this time as i skipped them last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM

610 posts, read 797,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a6683281.html

tps://www.insider.co.uk/news/edinburgh-tram-inquiry-john-carson-12295822

Look familiar?. We had the same problems here, although, i think at a greater financial and business's cost than Cincinatti's. Politicians grandstanding with taxpayers money. Our ridership is increasing though and we are probably going to extend the line soon but,no doubt over budget and time as usual. What cost was kansas city's streetcar and how can they balance the cost/budget with free ridership?. Our fare is $2.25 one way,do you think if Cincinatti's streetcar was free, ridership would greatly improve?. You have to give trams traffic priority over cars as we do or the whole benefit of taking the tram over the car evaporates. Anyway i will be back in your fine city of Cincinatti for the third time in five years on holiday for "Taste of Cincinatti"(Oktoberfest last time)so will try the trams this time as i skipped them last time.
Free streetcar would increase ridership. The only real question is by how much. Tampa Bay's Streetcar also used to cost money but is now free and they've seen ridership increase. Beyond that the major difference between ours and KC is that KC has a mayor that supports it and has made sure it runs to peak efficiency. We have a mayor who's campaign was funded by local car dealerships and has done everything in his power to hurt the streetcar. KC makes sure blockages are enforced, they timed the traffic lights and it's free. Once Cincinnati (3 N 2 T...think Sin Sin Nati) has a new mayor you'll see major improvements. In the mean time, we're starting to see some improvement with a pro-streetcar council. Of course ridership is not everything at this point and we're seeing massive development along the line partially because of the streetcar and proven in statements by CEOs of Kroger and GE on choosing to build new buildings on the line. All you have to do is walk on block off the line north of Liberty and you'll see the difference.

You're going to get a lot of negative comments from the same few posters who are oddly obsessed with ****ting on Cincinnati, none of them live here, it's best to just ignore them. I hope you have a good visit in 5 years, if you're a football fan make sure to catch a match at what will be a brand new soccer specific stadium for our new MLS club FC Cincinnati. It'll be only 1 block off the line.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM

221 posts, read 336,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
...Anyway i will be back in your fine city of Cincinatti for the third time in five years on holiday for "Taste of Cincinatti"(Oktoberfest last time)so will try the trams this time as i skipped them last time.
I'm looking forward to Taste. I now tend to enjoy it more than Oktoberfest, since Taste is at least still on 5th Street. More fun than hanging out next to a freeway.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
This says it all and I predicted this would happen.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...it/3732697002/

Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 4,795 times
Our streetcars are heavily used in Toronto. Do the ones in Cincinnati actually go to places people are going or were they built to make property developers happy? If you just build them to make property developers happy, they don't go anywhere, don't serve anyone and waste money. They just raise land value close by, but don't improve traffic. Streetcars are excellent. I love the ones we have in Toronto. But you have to be aware of the routing.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM

410 posts, read 587,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skint View Post
Our streetcars are heavily used in Toronto. Do the ones in Cincinnati actually go to places people are going or were they built to make property developers happy? If you just build them to make property developers happy, they don't go anywhere, don't serve anyone and waste money. They just raise land value close by, but don't improve traffic. Streetcars are excellent. I love the ones we have in Toronto. But you have to be aware of the routing.
No, the ones in Toronto are really wonderful for transportation. The Cincinnati one (singular route) is more of a people mover. Sadly Cincinnati, like many US cities, has not fully embraced the streetcar as a viable form of transportation.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
This system can indeed be successful, as evidenced by the Kansas City streetcar system.
No, it cannot. What other cities do is not evidence of anything, except what other cities do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
But what do I know, I'm just a well-informed citizen.
Apparently not.

The Cincinnati Bell Connector financial report for the month ending March31, 2019 is attached. Total Revenues were $279,187 which is unfavorable to budget by $70,248 or 20%. Total Expenses were $342,512, which is favorable to budget by $6,923 or 2%. March income is unfavorable to budget by $63,325. Year to date income is unfavorable to budget by $28,945. A favorable adjustment from prior months to the Transdev Contract Expense of $57,978,a favorable adjustment from prior months to TVM Maintenance of $52,898, and an unfavorable adjustment from prior months to Direct Costs –Police Detail of $228 are reflected in the year to date results. Below is a summary of the most significant factors driving results for the month: Ridership: Unfavorable by 1,773 or 5% for the month. Fare Revenue: Unfavorable by $5,052 or 18% for the month due to actual fare revenue per ride of $0.65 compared with budget fare revenue per ride of $0.76. Connector Advertising: Unfavorable by $64,220 or 94% for the month due to advertising contracts below budgeted expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
So now about 4,600 people everyday are opting not to ride the Connector due to signal delays and city hall politics? Really not by that at all now. It’s a lack of demand, need, and usefulness.
The toy is of no value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Free streetcar would increase ridership.
So, you're volunteering to pay for it?

Because "free" doesn't work in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skint View Post
Our streetcars are heavily used in Toronto.
Cincinnati is not Toronto. What other cities do is not relevant.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it cannot. What other cities do is not evidence of anything, except what other cities do.

Apparently not.

The Cincinnati Bell Connector financial report for the month ending March31, 2019 is attached. Total Revenues were $279,187 which is unfavorable to budget by $70,248 or 20%. Total Expenses were $342,512, which is favorable to budget by $6,923 or 2%. March income is unfavorable to budget by $63,325. Year to date income is unfavorable to budget by $28,945. A favorable adjustment from prior months to the Transdev Contract Expense of $57,978,a favorable adjustment from prior months to TVM Maintenance of $52,898, and an unfavorable adjustment from prior months to Direct Costs –Police Detail of $228 are reflected in the year to date results. Below is a summary of the most significant factors driving results for the month: Ridership: Unfavorable by 1,773 or 5% for the month. Fare Revenue: Unfavorable by $5,052 or 18% for the month due to actual fare revenue per ride of $0.65 compared with budget fare revenue per ride of $0.76. Connector Advertising: Unfavorable by $64,220 or 94% for the month due to advertising contracts below budgeted expectations.

The toy is of no value.

So, you're volunteering to pay for it?

Because "free" doesn't work in the real world.

Cincinnati is not Toronto. What other cities do is not relevant.
Essentially, Cincinnati leadership simply isn’t as competent as Kansas City’s. That’s fine, because obviously someone needs to be the low bar.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
As a visitor, I have a (hopefully) benign question about the seemingly polarizing streetcar...how reliable is it?

Will be staying in OTR for a few days later this week and plan on taking it to the ballpark and around downtown. The streetcar stop is about 100 yards from the rental. I've read about people parking on the tracks, etc...are those kinds of delays common? Is the city bus system a better option?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:13 AM

610 posts, read 797,517 times
It's reliable. Typically any delay will not last more than 20 minutes but occasionally will you get a long one. With a new Streetcar Czar and pro-streetcar council we're finally starting to see minor improvements to the system despite what some non-resident posters on here may spew. The bus is a better option if you're leaving the urban core but if the streetcar was down I would either walk/scooter or get an uber depending on how far it was. Buses do not go south of 5th street. Download CincyEZ ride app and you can check real time location of the streetcar and pay for while avoiding the ticket boxes. Also all the stops will let know how far away the next one is. If you're in town for a Reds game you can ride streetcar for free with your reds ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati