Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,829 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job that, required me to live in Ohio, they didn't care where as long as it was close to a major city. Being from Atlanta, I wanted to hold on to the south so I chose Cincinnati. I think I made a mistake, I am African American, middle class, doing pretty good financially. I chose to rent instead of buying as I wanted to learn the area first. So I looked around and tryed to find a safe neighborhood, and good schools for my kids. I chose Anderson Township, but what I didn't realize was we would be the only African American Family, where I live. Me and my wife are terrified, the white people around look at us and treat us like second class citizens. Even though I have the most expensive car, and probably make more money than any of them, I feel like the enemy. Cincinnati is a disappointing city, because of its deep racial divides. We take our daugther across town, to a more diverse day care even though its out of our way, thats a shame to have to do that. I regret signing my lease, and regret moving to a city that is touted as one of the best, but actually is one with the most problems. If your African American don't stop on the lower west side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,555 times
Im sorry you have been treated the way you have. I can not speak in your case, but when i was in Atlanta last year in October of 2005 it was a very racist city. Not just to african americans, but to the many different races there. I work with many people here in downtown Cincinnati that are of african american and hispanic decent. We go out, and there are no problems with their race or background.

When i made the trip to Atlanta i remember how bad the whites treated people on MARTA (Atlanta's Transit System). I was blessed though, because if it werent for the african americans i wouldnt have been able to find my way around town. The whites were too busy getting from the airport to downtown to help me. It might be best if you try looking into other areas of the city or suburbs. Just give Cincinnati a chance. If it doesnt grow on you look to someplace else. I wish you the best of luck wherever life takes you. Your neighbors just sound plain rude to me. Sorry about that.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:17 AM

87 posts, read 643,071 times
Reed, keep your head high and remember it's "them" who have the problem not you. That being said, don't give up on Cinci yet.

Folks, it's sad that in 2006 we still have bigots who look at someone's color first. Sad. So sad.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:14 AM

45 posts, read 273,047 times
Default Grave mistake

I too am sorry you're having a rotten/scary experience. Anderson Township is very homogenous and provincial. If you want to stay in the suburbs, you might want to look at Blue Ash, Montgomery, or Wyoming, all of which are known for their good school systems. I think you'll find those areas less homogenous and more progressive. Or you might actually try the east side of the city (Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Pleasant Ridge or Amberley Village (which is a separate community but in the Cincinnati School System), or Kenwood/Madeira.

There are a lot of positives about living in Cincinnati and I hope you can find a place where you are happier.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 69,472 times
Default sorry, but you are wrong

I grew up in Cincinnati, the east side, Mt Washington to be exact.

Your discription is not of the Anderson/Mt Washington area.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 AM

45 posts, read 273,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
I grew up in Cincinnati, the east side, Mt Washington to be exact.

Your discription is not of the Anderson/Mt Washington area.
Well, phoneman, I also grew up on Cincinnati's eastside as well (Walnut Hills HS) and I stand by what I wrote. We are both entitled to our opinions but I'm not the least surprised that an African-American family had the kind of experience the Reeds have had in Anderson.

Derrick will find that Atlanta is perhaps less provincial and certainly less conservative but once he gets out in the distant suburbs, like Forsythe Co., he will think Cincy is like heaven. LOL.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 AM

187 posts, read 918,770 times
JSMILL:

I don't have any reason to be out in Forsyth Co., as Atlanta proper is good enough for me. If I do go out into the suburbs it will be in areas more like Gwinnett Co. Thanks thought.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,555 times
I dont think Derrick knows what he is getting himself into. He talks so bad about Cincinnati, but in reality, Atlanta's problems are some 25 times worse.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 PM

187 posts, read 918,770 times
Default Paintballer Knows Best

Paintballer:

In retrospect I know exactly what I am getting myself into. The area I have chosen to live is a very rich and diverse community with very low crime rates and the citizens are so friendly, kind, and respectful. Unlike Cincinnati, I know Atlanta is so much the better town for me and my future. I've actually made an awesome choice along with moving my very successful business to the heart of Atlanta's business district.

Do you desire to delete my entries only because they differ with yours, or just because I am encouraging other people to consider Atlanta? So much for being a "moderator." I guess if I were to agree with you across the board my posts would remain. Umm...Interesting.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM

131 posts, read 578,101 times
Default bummer on your experience

I have my issues with Cincy for various reasons. However, I am shocked that you'd be treated poorly in Anderson. I don't live there but know many people that live there and I guess I just figured that most of those folks were open to new people - regardless of religion/color etc etc.

I live in No KY and even though I LOVE certain aspects to it -- it's not easy to make friends if you didn't grow up here. I have made friends but for many neighborhoods we didn't get the reciprical friendlyness that we showed to our neighbors when we moved in (i.e we had to intro ourselves -- we would intiate the hi's and byes and small talk).

Wasn't until we moved to a more expensive neighborhood people were more friendly -- however they aren't as awesome as our experiences in Florida were (live there for 2 years).

Also, while in College living in Hyde Park -- renting a house we knew our neighbors and I always thought east side (including anderson) were supposedly more welcoming to newcombers of all sizes shapes and colors.

Good luck on your move back.
If you need day care and work close to downtown.. may I suggest the daycare we use for our 3 year old -- Children Inc of Park Hills, KY. It's a best kept secret and I think diverse (they have several other locations) and accepting. It's associated with Gateway Community College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati