Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 09:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Why are tolls the answer? The Federal Government spends hundreds of billions if not trillions on infrastructure...they build new bridges all the time...just less than 10 years ago built the new George Voinovich Innerbelt Bridge on I-90 here in Cleveland...no tolls whatsoever.
The newer suspension bridge in Toledo also has no tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 12:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
One comment. There are toll bridges in Louisville. The only good thing about that is that you can use your I-Pass or EZ-Pass so that you do not have to stop and pay.

I think that it is a positive for one reason. It will encourage thru OTR Truckers to more fully utilize the I-275 bypasses which will relive some traffic off of the bridge. Second, as tight as many of the locals are, most of them will find other routes to not pay the tolls. There are only six other bridges.

Kentucky has had a history of using tolls to build a better highway system. The tollway in Ohio has three lanes each way throughout the state while neither I-75 or I-71 does.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One comment. There are toll bridges in Louisville. The only good thing about that is that you can use your I-Pass or EZ-Pass so that you do not have to stop and pay.

I think that it is a positive for one reason. It will encourage thru OTR Truckers to more fully utilize the I-275 bypasses which will relive some traffic off of the bridge. Second, as tight as many of the locals are, most of them will find other routes to not pay the tolls. There are only six other bridges.

Kentucky has had a history of using tolls to build a better highway system. The tollway in Ohio has three lanes each way throughout the state while neither I-75 or I-71 does.
Very good points. I think I-74 routed truck traffic will use the western I-275 loop to get around any tolls. And I-71 trucks may use the eastern I-275 bypass. Of course the major truck route of I-75 will still carry a brunt of the thru truck traffic, but as you mentioned, with electronic plate tolling now the common route, it will certainly make it easier to get across without having to stop. I also think there will likely be hazardous cargo restrictions on at least the BSB going forward. It may even lead to a permanent HC thru route around I-275.

As long as the tolls aren't Long Island and NYC level of toll charges, I am OK. Something like $12 or $14 to cross from Queens into the Bronx. But at least NYC has been moving to e-tolling as well, something I never would have expected with the labor unions and labor market conditions present in the city.

One thing that may be interesting to see is if Kentucky attempts to do any surge tolling structure. Delaware River bridges have peak and off-peak times for their EZ Pass holders (peak crossing times offer no discount). I wonder if that method, or a method using traffic volume adjustments similar to the DC beltway, would be looked at too.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Very good points. I think I-74 routed truck traffic will use the western I-275 loop to get around any tolls. And I-71 trucks may use the eastern I-275 bypass. Of course the major truck route of I-75 will still carry a brunt of the thru truck traffic, but as you mentioned, with electronic plate tolling now the common route, it will certainly make it easier to get across without having to stop. I also think there will likely be hazardous cargo restrictions on at least the BSB going forward. It may even lead to a permanent HC thru route around I-275.

Personally, I always thought that the HC routes through the Cincinnati metro area were on I-275. We never shipped hazardous cargo so I am not sure about that.

When I was working, she shipped a lot of freight from Chicago to the Southeast. Most of our drivers avoided Cincinnati as they preferred to route through Louisville. Occasionally, I would have them drop me off in Covington rather than flying home. there is nothing like riding in an OTR through Chicagoland.

The fun part is that most states will charge you X if you use an I-PAss or EZ-pass and they will charge you 2x of you use cash or pay online. That will definitely start some squawking.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
There is no reason that bridge should have to be built w/ tolls...

When Charleston, SC needed to replace the old US 17 bridges over the Cooper River, they got their congressman to get the needed funds to build the Ravenel Bridge...

Mitch McConnell is head of the Senate...he should use his power to get the funding for a brand new bridge...especially since it's such an economically important corridor.

When I lived there, I never liked crossing that bridge and usually used the Big Mac/I-471 bridge instead.
Not to mention that the Secretary of Transportation is Mrs. Mitch McConnell, Elaine Chao, and that replacing the bridge would certainly fall under "infrastructure", though a belated Infrastructure Week would not be sufficient for its replacement.

The present situation certainly vividly illustrates the sins of procrastination.

When I lived in Cincinnati back in the early '70s, the Brent Spence Bridge was known as the Car-Strangled Spanner. All these years later, and nothing changed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati