Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM

267 posts, read 722,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Anyone remember the Plummet Mall? One of WEBN's greatest ad campaigns.
god yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 03:08 PM

well the subway is no longer.. i remember when i was little i seen the opening
to the tunnels were cemented over, now thier gonna do trolly cars i think

Old 06-29-2008, 03:24 PM

205 posts, read 984,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
I think there used to be big ventilator shafts with chain link covers along the median of Central Parkway on either side of Vine St. I can remember seeing them but I think they were removed decades ago.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM

i use to see the tunnels them selfs on the expressway they were open
now thier sealed.. that's what i seen to not on vine tho

Old 06-30-2008, 04:06 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,036 times
Quote:
The city is building a modern streetcar system connecting Pill Hill, UC, and Downtown.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM

i know.. i think it's cool

Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
The main reason mass transit was abandoned for the auto is portability. Mass transit, such as trains, subways, and cable cars, requires a stable workforce, which allowed worker rights and unions to develop. Trucking and air transit, on the other hand, can use a mobile and transient workforce (exploited) that is cheaper.

The people that invest don't want to invest in local populations because they have fought hard for the right to pick up their factories and move anywhere in the world.

So we americans have not caught on to this basic fact of exploitation and cry out for our gas guzzling autos somehow not realizing it hooks us into running after jobs in other places.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
The main reason mass transit was abandoned for the auto is portability. Mass transit, such as trains, subways, and cable cars, requires a stable workforce, which allowed worker rights and unions to develop. Trucking and air transit, on the other hand, can use a mobile and transient workforce (exploited) that is cheaper.

The people that invest don't want to invest in local populations because they have fought hard for the right to pick up their factories and move anywhere in the world.

So we americans have not caught on to this basic fact of exploitation and cry out for our gas guzzling autos somehow not realizing it hooks us into running after jobs in other places.
the american reliance on autos is a product of the re-socialization of the country post ww-2. eisenhower forced in highways, and that stimulated de facto segregation, the american ideal of a house with a yard and a puppy, and the overall materialistic and idealistic nature of the country. highways allowed the government to avoid fixing the urban school and integration issue by creating a system outside the urban through people with means. the gov't knew integration would be unpopular with many whites, but if they have the means to follow a promise of a new ideal, they can now leave, and the lower class whites left behind do not matter because they don't have any money.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Quote:
i use to see the tunnels them selfs on the expressway they were open
now thier sealed.. that's what i seen to not on vine tho
Many of the tunnels house huge water lines...so sad...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
the american reliance on autos is a product of the re-socialization of the country post ww-2. eisenhower forced in highways, and that stimulated de facto segregation, the american ideal of a house with a yard and a puppy, and the overall materialistic and idealistic nature of the country. highways allowed the government to avoid fixing the urban school and integration issue by creating a system outside the urban through people with means. the gov't knew integration would be unpopular with many whites, but if they have the means to follow a promise of a new ideal, they can now leave, and the lower class whites left behind do not matter because they don't have any money.
Ahh, Hillside, but people are now RETURNING to urban areas because of the amenities downtown and nearby neighborhoods offer. And it still gets back to the basic idea that if you get off of your hind end and apply yourself, you increase your housing, transportation and other options immeasurably. Or you can sit on your hind end and blame others for your shortcomings... (and by the way, President Eisenhower saw what economic advantages an interstate highway system would offer. Some took advantage of it, others didn't...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati