Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times

Advertisements

Outstanding! I'd forgotten that some of the buildings had a peaked roof. And it's interesting to see how the two-story structures (larger apartments inside, or maybe they were townhouses?) had those nice canopies built in at the front door. The brick cubes look like they barely had an overhang.
Was there really that much demand for low-cost housing eight years after WWII? History says no. It was only when Donald Trump - in the days before his glitzy projects all carried his name - took over the property management that the complex achieved full occupancy. And ironically this was in 1968, so soon before things got crazy in Bond Hill and dragged the "village" and shopping center down the tubes.
By the early '90s (since you never know whether somebody who asked the question two months ago is still reading) this rental community - beset by arson and street crime for two decades - was most of the way beyond redemption. Many of the small number of tenants that remained were, shall we say, shady characters. Building maintenance was more or less what could be accomplished with duct tape. No one could put enough lipstick on that pig to make it not be a pig. So after the inevitable was prolonged for at least 15 years the handful of holdouts was evicted and the entire complex bit the dust. As for the nearest residential areas, the damage wrought by the rapid and violent racial transition in Bond Hill was most apparent on the side streets while the moving vans were lining up and fights broke out every night. Today many of the brick-box apartments and single- or 2-family houses do look shabby, on some streets more than others. But there are also many dwellings that are well cared for and entire blocks that have aged gracefully and attractively. And more of Roselawn in the vicinity of the former Swifton maintains curb appeal than doesn't.
More importantly than ethnic changes, perhaps, is the shift in income levels throughout this area. Most blocks were once solidly middle-class and the "garden district" of Roselawn was a notch or two higher. By the '80s, and to this day, the surrounding neighborhoods had fallen much more into the "working-class" or "working poor" brackets while the garden district clung to its former cachet. So although this means the community wasn't "significantly" less well-off by the time the '90s rolled around, it by the same token is a great deal less affluent than had been the case before 1970. How can inviting streets like Bond Hill's Bella Vista Place or Roselawn's Parkdale Ave be not thought of as upscale? Property values. They tanked because of the "block busting" that went on south of Seymour Ave and remain ridiculously low. A spacious "mock Tudor" on one of those streets can only fetch as little as 1/4 the price that a similar home in a suburb or more "desirable" city neighborhood can. And this is the battle that some people are in to win by demolishing Swifton Village for a low-density and bland subdivision, and also clearing away the "Club 'Fill-in-the-Blank'" building which I think was the Zayre store once upon a time. But as I've brought up in at least one other thread, they have their work cut out for them and I think the odds are against their succeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
Default Does anyone have photos of the Swifton Village apartments???

I am working on a history book and Swifton Village is an important place to the story I'm telling. If you lived in Swifton Village in 1958-59, I would love to hear from you as I have a few questions in addition to seeking photos of the complex. Please email an introduction to [email]rickojones@gmail.com[/email] and I will tell you what's up.

-Richard O Jones

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,633 times
greetings! does anyone remember a kidnapping of a young girl named louann or "lulu" in 1966 or 67? I lived in the swifton village apartments when I was 3-5 years old. I have attempted to research this and remember that I used to play hide-and-seek with lulu but didn't know if she was ever found...

Old 01-23-2016, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,884 times
This picture really brings back memories for me because we lived in one of the buildings in the picture and moved across the street to a 2 bedroom. I learned to drive in Cincinnati Gardens lower parking lot. Went to Woodward from 9th to 12th grade, we moved from Swifton to 2222 Langdon Farm Rd. which was directly across from Hilton Davis Co. I have many fond memories of that area. My first job was at Carl's Pony Keg on Seymour Ave. We used to hang out in Roselawn Park all summer or at Swifton pool or Golf Manor pool. Remember teachers from Woodward, Mr. Maxwell, Anderson, Hinderlong, Luhrman, Oneil,Mz. Kalski and PRINCIPAL Mr. Wingard and Asst. Principal Mr. Shrimpton. who loved his paddle. Had many great friends who I regret not keeping in contact with. I would love to live some of those days over and some I was glad to forget.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM

17,542 posts, read 13,329,500 times
^

Did you live on Langdon Farm when the small refinery next to Hilton Davis blew up?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,884 times
No Mike I think I was already in the military then, but my parents lived there until 1972

Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,430 times
Default Mr. Davidson, one of my favorite teachers of all time...

I lived at 1985 Seymore Ave from 1955-58 and attended Carthage Elementary School 4-6 grade. Two of the greatest teachers in my entire educational experience, were Mr Davidson and Miss Blessing (health, science and phys ed). Reading your post made me think it was something that I wrote. So many similar memories. I don't have time now but I'll get back here and expound on my memories pf Swifton Village/shopping center and Carthage School

Phil "Dink" Gasbrro
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,576 times
Thumbs up Mr. Davidson at Carthage School

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiferphil View Post
I lived at 1985 Seymore Ave from 1955-58 and attended Carthage Elementary School 4-6 grade. Two of the greatest teachers in my entire educational experience, were Mr Davidson and Miss Blessing (health, science and phys ed). Reading your post made me think it was something that I wrote. So many similar memories. I don't have time now but I'll get back here and expound on my memories pf Swifton Village/shopping center and Carthage School

Phil "Dink" Gasbrro
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

I agree with you about Mr. Davidson. I wrote my memories of him on this thread back in July 2013 and it is so nice to see that somebody else remembers him the way I do. Through all the years of my education that came after Carthage School, he still remains one of the rarest of teachers, one who had the combined characteristics of a wealth of knowledge, enthusiasm for teaching, wonderful communication skills, and, most of all, a natural ability to inspire his pupils to creativity and learning. To this day I can can clearly see him in my mind's eye, walking slowly around the classroom while speaking of the vast achievements of ancient peoples. In teaching, his pitch and his pace were perfect. I remember that he came to my house for dinner a couple of times. My parents were really pleased to have him as a guest but I felt both happy and awkward at having the teacher to dinner at my home.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,689 times
Default friend

Do you remember a girl named Roberta Rosemae Schmidt lived on Grafton sp?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Hi. My name is Steve D.
Have a brother Skip and sister Terry. I was there at the exact same time went to Carthage, kinder garden, 1th then off to the new elementary school. lived in the apts with the big hill behind it with a makeshift baseball field. collected buckeyes and was one of the boys who got paddled by our female principle. hope you are doing well. I'm in St. Louis MO. still working at the main post office downtown. Hope to hear back I'm sure our path crossed many times. Lots of fond memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati