Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:03 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times

Advertisements

What a nice thread. A walk down memory lane. I enjoyed it like I had been there myself. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,735 times
The best part was sledding during the snow at the park. Or going to Cincinnati Gardens when the Beatles played there and getting to see their limo leave. The Gardens let people into the building and loudcasted the concert even if you didn't have tickets and you could hear them even if you couldn't see them.

I went to Swifton Primary and on November 22, 1963 we were in the Multi Purpose Room watching educational TV and our teachers all came in there and started crying. We didn't know what was going on or why they all were crying. Then we were told that John Kennedy had been shot. We were all kept in the Multi Purpose Room for awhile and then I think we were sent home early. I remember all the kids trying to comfort our inconsolable teachers.

Then I went to Bond Hill for 4th, 5th, and most of 6th grade before we moved out of state. It was one of the best educational experiences I ever had. We played recorders, learned architectural modeling, and did hand weaving. PE was super and we did a lot of gymnastics.

At Bond Hill, were were all divided by IQ. Each grade had four separated groups. Within the top group, we were divided into three more groups. Almost everyone was Jewish and left-handed.

My favorite memories were meeting my best friend for doughnuts at the variety store there. We would meet, sit at the counter and have 8 cent doughnuts and then go shopping.

I keep meaning to go back but the closest I have gotten was Cleveland.

Last edited by Stuller; 04-25-2009 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 81,061 times
I lived in North Avondale & grew up there until moving to Amberly Village...my older brother went to Woodward & remember something called may fete, an inside Woodward festival..& they always used to have a wrecked car in front diring prom time when on Tv, they would show 'the last prom', a fun to watch but poorly produced show about teens at prom time drinking..i always thought they should have updated that with the 70's crowd getting high & doing 'ludes'...we went to surgar N' spice for lunch or when we skipped school, which was 'in' during the early '70's...

Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 81,061 times
i went to Woodward HS, graduated (amazingly) in 1972...they just wanted out of there!....it was one of the last years that school was relatively safe or sane...although I use those words loosely....i always had a special fondness for N Avondale...too bad much of it was deconstructed but some areas remain nice...my old street was wess park drive....a great street

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Hello All, I was wanting to know if anyone had pictures of the Swifton Village apts. We have alot of posts on the Stratford Manor/Eastwood Village thread. My brother was telling me that the Swifton apts were built close to the same time and he thinks by the same people. I think it would be interesting to see a picture of them posted on here. Hyden

Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,618 times
Default megan j

i must know you because i was there too 305 479 8643

Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM

15 posts, read 70,571 times
Did you live in the village? If so when and where. Who were your friends?Rhonda

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 31,820 times
I attended Swifton Primary in 62-64 for second and third grade. Teachers were Mrs Tavlin and Mrs Cone. Susan Tucker was the principal and the crossing guard was Dorothy. There were pianos in the classrooms and both teachers played. Many classmates were Jewish but I was among the hillbillies coming in from Kentucky. When at Swifton The Beatles were becoming popular and later, at Bond Hill (4-6 grade), The Monkees. I remember the first black teacher at Swifton arrived in the early sixties, Mrs Meadows. She taught there a couple of years until she was murdered by her boyfriend. At Bond Hill I didn't go to White Castle for lunch, but spent a lot of change at that candy store across the street. Bee's? Most of my classmates went on to Woodward for 7th grade, but my parents divorced and I was hauled back to Kentucky for a few years.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Ah, the back seat of my old Chevy in Roselawn park

Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,340 times
I lived at 1926 Langdon Farm Road. I lived there my entire childhood until age 18. I have older brothers, Andrew and Smoky Stark and an older sister Karen. Andrew and Karen graduated from Woodward and Smoky attended Walnut Hills. We have wonderful memories of Swifton area.....sleigh riding at Roselawn park, Circus and hockey games at the gardens, Bond Hill library, going to White Castles on Reading Road/AvonDale, Pasquales Pizza/butcher shop at Swifton Shopping center. Growing up with the following familys....Kahlstrom (Lainey and brothers), schaeffer (Tammy), Flowers (Donna and brother), and Reed (Vicky and brothers/sister)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati