Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM

22 posts, read 72,867 times

Advertisements

I have read many of the posts and I am trying to narrow down areas to look for housing as my husband has an excellent chance for a position with GE Aviation (IT). I will have to find a federal job to transfer into...

Anyway, we are a family of 5 including one gifted and one special needs child (requires total care). We currently live in a neighborhood with a pool, playground, tennis, and golf and lots of activities and the kids attend good public schools. We are a black family but would prefer a diverse racial neighborhood.

House price point would probably be in the high $200s to low $300s and up to the upper $300s if I can find a comparable federal position in Cinci area. We will need to build or renovate to accommodate our son's wheelchair.

By the way, since we are in Atlanta area, we are used to driving so anything less than 1 hour each way would be a blessing.

Okay - I am ready to hear any adn all suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM

710 posts, read 3,049,653 times
Wyoming is the only place that I can think of that fits that description

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 72,867 times
Default clarifying needs

We are not looking to duplicate where we are now though we love our home. The communtiy is great but we only take advantage of pool and playground for the most part. We are looking for what everyone else is - a decent commute (1 hour or less), good schools, safe area etc. I am looking for direction s to areas in our price point for housing which will start in the low to mid $300s with potential to go to low $400s.

Am I underestimating or overestimating housing costs? Is there much in the way of new construction or ability to customize a plan? Are zoning departments difficult to work with if you need to renovate for accessibility?

Thaks again!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,151,940 times
How racially diverse are you looking for?

What comes to my mind immediately is West Chester, in southeast Butler county - just north of Hamilton County where Cincinnati is located. Since your husband will be working for GE, and most likely out of the new GE office they are constructing in West Chester, it would be the most logical fit for you. The Lakota School district is excellent - consistently ranked as one of the best in the Cincinnati area. It's the 2nd largest district in the region, and the 7th largest in Ohio.

West Chester is diverse. Many disagree with me on that because they like to refer to statistics, but I see it on a regular basis. There are black families here, just the same as there are many Hispanic families, Christians and Muslims. And even if there aren't as many black families here as you would like, the fact remains that it IS a very accepting and welcoming community - and there is no discrimination that I've ever witnessed in this area, so I believe you would feel comfortable. Crime is extremely low here. The home prices are exactly in your range, with the new construction you seek. All the amenities you could possibly seek are here....excellent shopping, medical facilities, parks, banking centers, restaurants, recreation, etc. Please feel free to send me a private note via DM if you'd like more info.

Oh yeah, you'd also be well within a 1 hour drive of any location in the tri-state that would be of significance to you....including Dayton, which would only increase your chances for finding a federal job.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,725,471 times
Quote:
West Chester is diverse. Many disagree with me on that because they like to refer to statistics, but I see it on a regular basis.
West Chester is 89% white and 4% black. 38,073 of the 42,814 residents from WC are non-hispanic whites.

Hispanic - 2%
Indian - .19%

From what I could find; there is 1 Islamic center in West Chester and 1 Baha'i Spiritaul Center, the remaining are Christian-based worship centers.

Quote:
same as there are many Hispanic families
If we use 4 total as making up the family members (ex: 2 parents and 2 kids), there are a total of 19 hispanic families.

http://www.answers.com/topic/west-ch...er-county-ohio

Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Cincy-Rise. I'm a bit curious, what do you think would be a suitable community for them that matches the criteria they've set forth in their OP?

Oh, BTW....that Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati (interesting that "Cincinnati" is in it's name) is one of only about 6 mosques that I can find in the Cincinnati area. Strange how it's the largest one and it's located in West Chester. Strange indeed, since WC is supposedly not a very diverse place, as some people like to say.

And the same can pretty much be said for that Baha'i faith, as well.

Last edited by aquila; 10-16-2008 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: correcting name of West Chester mosque

Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 PM

Something else that needs to be considered is that the information you are looking at is outdated, Cincy-Rise. West Chester's population was nearly 55,000 as of the 2000 census, and as of 2008 the African-American population was standing at 8.5%....over twice as high as what you are reporting.

Though I may use words such as "many", what I'm actually stating is that there are significant-enough numbers that the OP would indeed feel welcomed, accepted, and comfortable here in West Chester - and would most certainly find everything they are seeking as stated in their initial post. However, if - as I've asked on several different occasions - you'd like to add something a bit more constructive to the discussion, I'm sure the OP (and myself, as well) would welcome any additional suggestions for places around the Cincinnati region which would offer all they are looking for.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM

2,554 posts, read 2,883,236 times
Look for something in the Princeton City School District in perhaps the neighborhoods of Evendale or Glendale. You should find a very nice house in your price range. The school district is one of the most diverse in the state as well: 48% black, 37% white, 7% hispanic, 5% bi-racial and 3% asian.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,977,706 times
Stating that West Chester is diverse is like calling the Bengals a good football team - its simply not true. As pointed out WC is about 90% white. If you live there, it is possible to spend days/weeks without seeing a minority. If you want a more racially diverse neighborhood then come on down to the city. I always recommend the eastside and while many parts of it all high % white, not all are. I used to live in Oakley and my particular street was about 50 -50 and we all got along great. Hyde Park is mostly white but not as high as 90% and i feel it is a lot more accomodating to minorities. Afterall, the spike in WC population is in part due to white flight while the folks left in Hyde Park are here for a reason.

G Man

Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Yes, West Chester is diverse enough that the OP would feel comfortable here. I think as an overall whole, it simply would offer more of what the OP wants as opposed to what you'll find in Cincinnati proper.

You know, it really seems odd to me that whenever I try to offer suggestions to people, the Cincinnatians come out of the woodwork and bash me or West Chester. How many times am I bashing Cincinnati? I've stated flat-out that I'm for whatever is best for the person asking the question. If I think that's West Chester...and in this case, I do....that's what I suggest. But I'm just as apt to recommend places in Cincinnati if I think THEY work better....and I have done that lately.

Enough with everyone bashing one another. I know West Chester well enough to know that the OP would be comfortable out here. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati