Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 24,995 times

Advertisements

In my experience in the 3 years I have been here. If your white, christian and republican ,this is the perfect place for you. There are Liberals or moderates, but the ones I have met are usually tranplants and live closer to the city. I live out in West Chester, Butler county. Very republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSMom2009 View Post
In my experience in the 3 years I have been here. If your white, christian and republican ,this is the perfect place for you. There are Liberals or moderates, but the ones I have met are usually tranplants and live closer to the city. I live out in West Chester, Butler county. Very republican.
That's funny because ....

Cincinnati is half black.
Cincinnati is highly democrat.
Hamilton County leans more to the democrat side.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
any more opinions?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Fundamentally, a conservative is someone who looks to the past for solutions to today's issues, and a liberal is someone who believes that future progress should not be restricted by structures from the past. That being said, politics have blurred the lines to some extent as the different camps have separated based on issues that are practical more than philosophical.

Different parts of the country have different 'flavors' of liberal and conservative, and urban/suburban/rural definitions vary as well. For example, in Alaska you will find many social conservatives that are radical environmentalists, and in NYC there are a lot of fiscal conservatives that are on the far left when it comes to many social issues. Political affiliation also doesn't necessarily reflect fundamental philosophy, just what is expedient at the time for the voter e.g. union workers or trial lawyers voting democrat, business owners republican, etc.

I have noticed that 'fundamentalist' liberals or conservatives tend to identify so strongly with the talking points of their chosen political orientation that they feel like everyone who is not exactly like them on every issue is against them. While most commonly associated with conservatives, I see plenty of fundies on the far left as well. Social and fiscal moderates are rejected by both ends of the political spectrum. In Cincinnati, cultural characteristics (like being catholic, black, jewish, etc.) cause a lot of the population to fit somewhere in the middle 90% of the political spectrum. To the Rush Limbaugh camp, this means 95% of the population are liberals, and to the Dennis Kucinich camp, 95% are conservatives. If you feel like one of these positions describes your observations, you're probably in one of the far end groups.

Overall, Cincinnati is like most middle-american cities, with urban populations leaning to the left and suburban populations leaning to the right. The lines are drawn a little differently than in some newer cities, so a a result the city tends to go democrat and the county that the city is in tends to split or go republican. Still, the majority is moderate enough that a popular idea or candidate on either side can swing a majority very easily.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:

That is interesting. Ken Blackwell, the former Cincinnati politician (and now a state politician) is black and conservative.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM

14 posts, read 36,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
That's funny because ....

Cincinnati is half black.
Cincinnati is highly democrat.
Hamilton County leans more to the democrat side.
But that's only talking about within the city limits. Places like West Chester are outside of the city limits.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
What are some examples?
The lack of movement on the streetcar or any other mass rail transportation, despite a glaring need and repeated efforts by some to get the ball rolling, is a big example.

This city is absolutely allergic to any change that it does not understand. And since so many people here rarely get out to see the world outside of an annual trip to Gatlinburg or Panama City, they can't really grasp what Cincinnati desperately needs in order to let it take a step up to the next level.

Cincinnati has definite world-class* potential; you can literally see it all around you at times. But it's eternally stuck on region-class, and that's both aggravating and highly disappointing.

*By world-class, I mean world-class. Not Atlanta's level or Dallas or Minneapolis or even Denver. Cincinnati has the potential to be so much more than any of those great cities. It's ridiculously frustrating that it just never happens.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 05-31-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

75 posts, read 175,995 times
Quote:

Did you expect something different? It is West Chester after all, not exactly a hub of counter-culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati