Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by price hill will View Post
For what it's worth McPherson intersects Warsaw not Glenway. And while I find your description of the area witty and amusing it's just anther one of your usual stereotypes this time wrapped up in an analogy. The corner of McPherson and Warsaw does not anyway define the aesthetics or the safety concerns of the rest of EPH.
Well, I'm no expert on the area, thank God, but apparently neither are you. Here is a photo of the intersection of Glenway and McPherson. But, I'll defer to your assurances in regards to the rest of EPH.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:55 AM

24 posts, read 108,978 times
Wow. I didn't expect that this conversation would continue! Thanks for the feedback, and I'm happy to say that my friend has moved away from that neighborhood.

By the way, I drove past that intersection about 6 months ago, and it didn't seem all that bad, save for an abandoned house on the corner. It seemed pretty quiet, although I did drive through there in the afternoon. I imagine it's probably a lot worse after dark.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:50 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
I didn't expect the TO to re-emerge! LMAO That's a first.
Other than the turned-around street signs the corner doesn't look so bad to me. The apartment houses are at least being maintained if not "gussied up." There's no litter to speak of. But it's anybody's guess as to whether groups of idle kids hang at the intersection or party loudly on those porches once the sun sets.
Class bias may be at work here, since the pic clearly illustrates a blue-collar if not "working poor" environment. It's one of my well-worn refrains that poverty doesn't automatically equate with crime the way all too many people think it does, but it's one of the largest contributing factors. What really determines the safety of an urban neighborhood, though, is the rate of transiency. Section 8 subsidies or no, if those apartments have frequent tenant turnover the area is going to be less secure than if they're occupied by pensioners or folks with steady work who are happy where they are.
Making a call on a community based on a single photo or drive-by is judging a book by its cover. You can find many street corners nearly identical to this in other parts of town. Some would be in Carthage and others in Oakley, f'rinstance. Yet Oakley is gentrifying and "hot," while Carthage is in decline.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 AM

77 posts, read 195,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, I'm no expert on the area, thank God, but apparently neither are you. Here is a photo of the intersection of Glenway and McPherson. But, I'll defer to your assurances in regards to the rest of EPH.
LOL. Sorry I didn't know McPherson ran that far north.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 16,808 times
It would be nice to suggest that East Price Hill is immune to any socio-economic problems experienced in urban neighborhoods, but that is not so. I am concerned that the negative comments here are posted by people who don't live in the neighborhood, make them in order to depress interest in our neighborhood and thereby promote their own, and/or are simply idle malice.

Any neighborhood is only as good as the people who choose to live and work there. I chafe at comments by people who want others to do the heavy lifting so they only benefit without contributing. East Price Hill is a grand old neighborhood with high residential occupancy, an equitable balnce of owner- and renter- occupiers, a mile-long Neighborhood Business District that abuts that of West Price Hill's, maintained parks and natural woods and a majority-law abiding citizenry.

The linked-to website above uses data from another company that, from what I can find on its website, doesn't explain its data sources or methodology. East Price Hill includes parts of ZIP codes 45204, 45205 and 45214. I imagine most urban crime indices will skew in excess of national averages so those metrics don't hold much water. FBI Uniform Crime Reports provide a more reliable comparitive ability of cities to each other, but only data from the Cincinnati Police Department can begin to accurately report crime indices within a particular neighborhood.

If folks only drive though east-west their perceptions of our neighborhood will be skewed. Drive north-south on Grand, Elberon, Enright, McPherson, Mount Hope, Purcell, etc. You'll find great houses, houses in need of attention, and land awaiting new investment. Join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati