Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 AM

36 posts, read 92,577 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be transferred to Cincy from our company, and I was just wondering if anyone could possibly help mention some areas based on this info.

We're currently living in New England and I'm wondering if there are any boating towns (less than 30-40 minutes) to Cincy? Living near water is not a necessity, but I would like to continue boating. We're also very active (we play squash), so I'll have to find a squash club. We're both in our late 20's, and have no kids. We'd like to find an area with young professionals or young families. Our price range is up to $300k- condo or single family home. Safety is a huge concern not knowing much about a new city. We're coming from a small coastal town, so we'd like to look for a place that has a small town feel, yet has ample restaurants, coffee shops, stores, and of course some pubs.

Not sure if it helps but when I mention the above, I think of BurlingtonVT, Portland/Kennebunkport ME, or Hingham MA

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackack View Post
My wife and I will be transferred to Cincy from our company, and I was just wondering if anyone could possibly help mention some areas based on this info.

We're currently living in New England and I'm wondering if there are any boating towns (less than 30-40 minutes) to Cincy? Living near water is not a necessity, but I would like to continue boating. We're also very active (we play squash), so I'll have to find a squash club. We're both in our late 20's, and have no kids. We'd like to find an area with young professionals or young families. Our price range is up to $300k- condo or single family home. Safety is a huge concern not knowing much about a new city. We're coming from a small coastal town, so we'd like to look for a place that has a small town feel, yet has ample restaurants, coffee shops, stores, and of course some pubs.

Not sure if it helps but when I mention the above, I think of BurlingtonVT, Portland/Kennebunkport ME, or Hingham MA

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Well, by virtue of the fact that Cincinnati is on a river, there are tiny little villages up and down the Ohio River which might classify as "boating towns", but nothing like you're thinking about from New England. It's actually too bad you're not being relocated to Northern Ohio, because you'd have much better luck finding what you're looking for up there along Lake Erie.

Down here in this part of Ohio, unless you settle on Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky, the closest thing you'll probably find is maybe New Richmond or Lawrenceburg.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM

37 posts, read 126,437 times
The closest will be Williamstown lake KY 30 Minutes from Cincinnati. But this is nothing compared to New England's boating towns like Mystic Ct Milford CT etc. Like aguila said you will find this around Lake Erie

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM

66 posts, read 189,465 times
How far would you like to be from the city? Lebanon is a very nice and historical town up in Warren County fairly close to Caesar's Creek Lake(popular with boaters/water sports)and is close to the Little Miami River/Trail( for canoeing/kayaking/biking). There are a few marinas on the Ohio River popular with boaters. For communities close to the city, check out Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Columbia Tusculum, Mariemont, and Madeira. Further out, check out Montgomery, Loveland, Mason, and West Chester. Lake Cumberland(KY), Lake Norris(TN) and Lake Erie are the boating weekend destinations for Cincinnatians.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH65 View Post
The closest will be Williamstown lake KY 30 Minutes from Cincinnati. But this is nothing compared to New England's boating towns like Mystic Ct Milford CT etc. Like aguila said you will find this around Lake Erie

Thanks for the reply...any idea how traffic is from WilliamstownLake to Cincy? I do play squash at 6.30AM before work, so hopefully it would alleviate the traffic???

So is there a boating presence in the Cincy areas? As mentioned, I'm willing to live away from a river/lake...just as long as I can have weekend access.

Are you familiar with Wyoming / West Chester / Mason?

Cheers

Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks again for the info. I'll have a look at the towns you recommended. think we're willing to live roughly 30-40 mins outside of the city. As I mentioned, we normally play squash before work so we try to beat the rush hour traffic. How is the traffic if you live outside of the city? We also like the option to stay in our town for the weekend for dinner, drinks etc....but still have the option to head to Cincy for a night.

What are you personal thoughts on Wyoming?

Thanks everyone

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM

20 posts, read 26,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackack View Post
Thanks again for the info. I'll have a look at the towns you recommended. think we're willing to live roughly 30-40 mins outside of the city. As I mentioned, we normally play squash before work so we try to beat the rush hour traffic. How is the traffic if you live outside of the city? We also like the option to stay in our town for the weekend for dinner, drinks etc....but still have the option to head to Cincy for a night.

What are you personal thoughts on Wyoming?

Thanks everyone
Traffic from Mason or Lebanon (I-71) to Downtown Cincinnati gets congested Southbound in the morning and Northbound in the afternoon/early evening. I saw Williamstown mentioned. Northbound to Downtown Cincinnati (I-75) is about 36 miles (Exit 156 - Exit 192 <Last exit in NKY). It starts to back up around Buttermilk Pike (Exit 186).
As far as Wyoming, it's a really nice area. It's also really close to Winton Woods Park.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Ackack, I'm a bit curious...what kind of boating are you talking about? Sailing, speedboating, canoeing...? I get the impression, since you've mentioned several New England cities, that you're looking for a place where you can take a yacht out onto the water, or do a lot of "open water" sailing in which you can go for multiple miles without the need to change course to avoid land. Would I be correct in saying that? Because really, I don't see that kind of boating taking place on Williamstown Lake, or even Caesar Creek Lake for that matter. Even the Ohio River poses certain obstacles in the way of avoiding bridges and barges. You might need to resign yourself to driving to Lake Erie on the weekends if you're really wanting to do some wide-open water boating.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM

LOL - no, I wish I could own a yacht....I was talking about a regular power boat. I like the idea of Lake Williamstown, but can anyone describe the lifestyle there? As I mentioned, we're still looking for night life so we're still researching suburbs of Cincy.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Ah....power boating. Heck, go for Lebanon. It's a cool small town, and close enough to Caesar Creek. Or you could check out Oxford...a really hip place close to Hueston Woods (which likewise has a decent sized lake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati