Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
As a kid, our favorite amusement park was Coney Island. Never used the pool that I can recall, but we sure had fun on the rides.

Another fun spot was a medium-sized place called Riverside Amusement Park in Louisville Kentucky. As I recall, it was fairly close to the horse race track.

The pool at Coney Island was really great. I do not believe that I have ever seen a pool that was that large. It was really pretty cool.

I was in Louisville a couple weeks ago and saw some amusement rides near the Fairgrounds (and close to the Churchill Downs). It was mostly older looking rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I was in Louisville a couple weeks ago and saw some amusement rides near the Fairgrounds (and close to the Churchill Downs). It was mostly older looking rides.

The rides would indeed be pretty old. It seemed old when I went there, which was in the mid-50s. I tried finding info about it on the Internet, but came up empty. I assumed it may have been demolished long ago. It would be nice to think it's been preserved as a historical landmark if nothing else. It was that good.

It had a great house of mirrors. Behind one of pane of glass was a wallet with money exposed to tempt people. Of course, it was completely surrounded by mirrors with no way to get to it. LOL!

There was also a building, about 3-stories or so in height, that contained several giant wooden slides, one with humps, and the other (usually closed) a near shear drop. Elsewhere around that building was a rolling barrel, a trail with shifting planks and spinning discs, some kind of a thing with several large carpet-covered poles that would roll as you sat down on them, until you reached the last one and ended in a short wooden slide. There was also a large spinning wood disc slightly cone shaped. People would get on hold hands and try to keep from sliding off it. I can't remember what all was in that building, but it seemed there was quite a variety of things to do.

The park had a nice wood-framed roller coaster that would creak like the timbers would snap at any time, a fine classic carousel, and a good number of other rides, walk-through fun houses, and a dark ride. I seem to recall lots of trees throughout the park that made it cool and shady in the summer.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM

120 posts, read 259,144 times
Kissel Bros.:
Southwest Ohio Amusement Park Historical Society (http://www.soaphs.com/kissell.htm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
Kissel Bros.:
Southwest Ohio Amusement Park Historical Society (http://www.soaphs.com/kissell.htm - broken link)

Nice link! That kinda looks like it might be the one I remember. I wish there were more pics of it. Thanks for posting it.

It got me to digging around. Nothing about the park in Louisville, but I did come across an old movie about Coney Island.

ITPS Historical Archives (http://www.interthemepark.com/about/coneyisland.htm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

It got me to digging around. Nothing about the park in Louisville, but I did come across an old movie about Coney Island.

ITPS Historical Archives (http://www.interthemepark.com/about/coneyisland.htm - broken link)
What memories.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
Kissel Bros.:
I forgot all about Medowbrook. Thanks for the memory jog.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,356 times
im a grandson of ralph kissel if theres anything you would like to know about or bussiness please reply to [email]akissel2@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM

133 posts, read 691,250 times
Re Coney Island Pool. It was segregated racially until the 1960s. I remember well when that occurred, as it had a big impact nationally (with echoes still to this day, in the recent fiasco with the black summer camp kids using a country club pool, in Philadelphia, I believe). Here is an article about the desegregation at Coney Island:

Coney Island segregation ended 40 years ago

BTW, the pool and Moonlight Gardens were both big parts of my childhood--both before and after desegregation.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,961 times
I worked there for three summers and it was a great time. Im 22 so Ive only seen the new coney but loved to look at the pictures of old coney in the office and think of what a cool park it must have been. Working there was like hanging out with family or friends not a job. Low pay but loved my time there. Some of the best times of my life.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Default Remembrances of Cincy Area Amusement Parks

I would like to start some remembrances of Cincy area amusement parks.

In my era of youth, there was of course Coney Island and LeSourdsville Lake (later Americana). What I remember about both is they had a dance pavilion in the later days of the touring Big Bands. Coney Island of course had Moonlight Garden, perhaps the best of its kind in the country. I don't remember the name of the smaller pavilion at LeSourdsville, but certainly remember a very young Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd.

My parents used to speak highly of Chester Park from their days. I don't suppose there is anyone old enough in this forum to remember it.

But my parents said the ultimate experience was to take the streetcar from Norwood downtown to the public landing, board the Island Queen steamboat for the trip to Coney Island, spend the evening at Moonlight Garden, and then board the boat for the return trip down the river. And they managed to do this in the midst of the Depression. Sorry to say, the last Island Queen burnt before I ever had the experience.

I have been told when Walt Disney was contemplating Disneyland in Anaheim, he sent a team of people to observe Coney Island in Cincy as an example of how an amusement park should be run. I just remember how clean it always seemed to be, and the extensive flower beds, etc. which just made it a pleasure to be there.

Another pleasant recollection of Coney was how they used to cater to company picnics. The picnic pavilions, bingo games, tug-of-war, horseshoes, softball games, draft beer and food, ride tickets for the kids, Sunlight Pool for the older ones, those were extremely pleasant days to remember.

I happen to live about 1-1/2 miles from Kings Island. It is a nice enough place, but strictly big business. Haven't been there for 20 years. Can't understand their marketing tactics. Let the grandparents in free, and you will more than recoup the difference on what they spend on the grandkids. But tell me I have to pay an admission to sit on a bench and spend more money - no thanks.

Those of you who have specific recollections to relate, please join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati