Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,635 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I moved to West Chester a few years ago after college. He is from here and I am from Athens, Ohio. He works in Fairfield and I can relocate anywhere right now as I work from home. Every weekend we find ourselves in Hyde Park, Oakley, or downtown with our friends and we're getting tired of living in conservative West Chester. It reminds me of the title song to the show "Weeds" (little boxes anyone?).

My question is we have been looking at neighborhoods and I'd like to know places to live that have the following criteria; culture, one or two bars for the twenty something crowd, possibly a strong arts community, relatively safe, and a maximum half hour commute from Fairfield. I wouldn't mind if the place has trees/nature/parks either. We've tried looking in Hyde Park and Oakley but they are just too $$$. Our budget is around 135-150. We've been looking in Pleasant Ridge, Deer Park and Norwood, but neither of us are familiar with the areas or other areas and I would appreciate any opinions/insights on those places and other places to possibly live, Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Fairfield will be a "reverse commute" to and from any area to the south within Ohio, so you could probably look as far as downtown and stay within a half-hour time frame.

Deer Park and Pleasant Ridge are more "family-oriented" communities, which is to say that they're not blessed with an artsy scene or much (if any, in Deer Park's case) night life. Norwood is slowly but surely shedding its "Nortucky" image due to the burgeoning Rookwood shopping/office developments in its southeast corner. First-time homebuyers are drawn by the relatively low prices for well-maintained older homes in a variety of styles, also for the city's proximity to HP + Oakley + Xavier University. But, as in P-Ridge and Deer Park, there are no art galleries or coffeehouses to speak of. It's not yet what could be called a walkable community in terms of there being an active (in a positive sense) street scene.

The perennial favorite of folks in your life stage and with your sensibilities is the "gaslight district" of Clifton, centered around the Esquire movie theater on Ludlow Ave. UC is just beyond Burnet Woods, making it easy to take in an art show or CCM concert. Trendy and/or "ethnic" restaurants abound along Ludlow, which is also home to neighborhood outlets of Graeter's and Skyline Chili. Clifton's principal drawback is that most of its single-family houses in the gaslight district are very large with prices to match. To find a broader selection of more affordable dwellings, you'd have to look south of UC, where the neighborhoods strung along McMillan St are of varying degrees of sketchiness. Fairview Heights, the westernmost of these enclaves, would be your best bet in terms of safety. Its main streets are Fairview Ave (ya don't say) and Ravine St. There as well as in the sections to the east, variously known as University Heights or Lower Clifton or Clifton Heights, chances are pretty good that you could score a property with amazing views of downtown and the river and Kentucky. All of the "urban removal" along Calhoun St has vanquished many unique hangouts from around there, and in some cases what's taken their place is one franchised fast-food place and clothing store after another. But Lenhardt's on McMillan survives, as does the Dubois book store. Better still, you'd be a hop skip and jump from downtown.

Northside is a community that seems stuck in transition: half blue-collar and half "urban pioneer." Its main drag, Hamilton Ave, reflects that. Tucked in with all the martini bars and sustainable-food restaurants are shot-and-beer pubs, used-appliance stores, and such. Most of the houses are either sturdy brick or wood-frame bungalows, or long and narrow dwellings of similar construction. The section of choice is that which has Hamilton Ave as its western boundary and Crawford St (bordering Spring Grove Cemetery) bordering it on the east. While safe and "neighborly" as a rule, Northside's been in the news recently for the wrong reasons due to an upswing in gang shenanigans.

For more hard-core urban pioneering, Camp Washington is appearing on the artistic/progressive radar. This part of Cincinnati has long been seen as an area to drive through with doors locked en route to the Hopple St Viaduct leading to Westwood and beyond. But with former factories and warehouses finding new life as lofts, and with much of the housing stock in good repair and very well priced, some people are pulling over and getting out of their cars - and buying in. Major food shopping would still entail a trip to Clifton, and unless "bling" and baggy hiphop garb are what you like to wear (there's a Deveroes by the Hopple St exit off I-75) you can't buy clothes in Camp Washington either. But you can, at least,satisfy chili cravings around the clock - except, never on Sunday - at the renowned Camp Washington Chili.

O'Bryonville seems like it'd be a good fit. It's one of the smallest enclaves of the city, wedged between Walnut Hills and "Hype Park" along Madison Rd, but is home to several "destination" businesses: the Bonbonnerie/What's For Dinner complex, Bob Roncker's Running Spot, a 10,000 Villages store, etc. Some artistic/artisanal studios and shops are in the mix. There isn't much in the way of single-family houses, and what exists is mainly in the AA-majority section (not that that should matter.) But cast a net within a 1-to-2-mile radius and you'll never know what you might reel in.

"Everybody" talks about all the redevelopment ("urban removal") in the West End and Over-the-Rhine, but I'm cool to all that. It also seems that you're in the market for something other than a "townhome" or row house anyway.

BTW when I'm house browsing ("dream on, goyguy" lol) my Website of choice is Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps. Unlike on realtors' sites, you can research any place in the country and zero in on specific subcategories i.e. foreclosed 2-BR's within a given ZIP code.

Best o' luck! You're people after my own heart, foresaking suburbia for a place with a heartbeat.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
mitya05, not surprised with your concern.

Check out Downtown, Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, Northside, Mt. Lookout, Uptown (Clifton/Gaslight), etc ...

Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
I'd look into Hamilton. It has some great urban neighborhoods.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times
It sounds like you are on the right track. Given your price range, your stated neighborhoods of choice (HP, Oakley, Downtown) are probably too expensive - as it sounds like you've already figured out.

I think you guys are looking at the exact right neighborhoods with Pleasant Ridge, Deer Park, and Norwood. They are all perfectly situated to be a reasonable commute for your husband, and yet only a quick hop over to the neighborhoods where you enjoy hanging out. Do your homework, because all three of those places have great streets and crappy streets. Make sure you get the environment you want. But I think you are looking in the exact right places.

Deer Park is the most suburban, but I'll admit to being very impressed by certain streets within the town. It's hardly hip or artsy, but it's a pretty shocking combination of dirt cheap starter homes with easy access to both urban and suburban shopping districts.

To be perfectly frank, I think all three areas suffer image issues because of the racial stigma of being adjacent to black neighborhoods. Yet they generally seem very stable, if not on an upward trajectory. So they offer good deals to those who want them.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
It sounds like you are on the right track. Given your price range, your stated neighborhoods of choice (HP, Oakley, Downtown) are probably too expensive - as it sounds like you've already figured out.
\
You're right, disregard my post!

Check out OTR Gateway Quarter too ... amazing stuff! (AND AFFORDABLE!)

This is why Cincinnati sucks (*filled with sarcastic undertones ... inside joke )

This ain't your parent's Over-the-Rhine

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 13,313 times
I think you guys are looking in the right areas. West Chester is a bit stuffy. I would also suggest Walnut Hills near Eden Park, Northside the area off Hamilton Ave, you guys may actually like Finneytown which is off Winton Rd, which would put you guys in the halfway point between the city and Fairfield. I am in graduate school right now and I moved in with my parents who live in Springdale (I grew up in neighboring Forest Park and my folks moved to Springdale after becoming empty nesters) and I love it. I am a single parent to a 8 year old daughter (I had my child young) and I look for areas that are young, hip, affordable and I can also raise a kid safely. Springdale is an awesome place to raise kids, great location, your near the highway, and there is a great community feel plus it's diverse. I hope that helps

Old 10-11-2009, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,252 times
The difference between West Chester and Weeds is that the neighborhoods in Weeds were at least nice. I've been continually confused as to how anyone could call it a "nice" area, its mediocre at best. There are pretty much no sidewalks or pedestrian connectivity and it still criss-crossed by antiquated country roads like Tylersville, Ham-Mason, and By-4. 747 is a traffic disaster and just an industrial eye-sore. So, if WC is stuffy, it is because the people there are choking on the recirculated air in the homes that they never leave.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,604 times
Talking Try looking around in liberty township!!!

Hello to you ALL!!...I do have a "suggestion" if you like the neighborhood West Chester, per say, but not so much the "stuffiness" as some people have said, have you looked into Liberty Township?? It is kinda on the "out~skirts" of West Chester itself...I live here, & I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! I mean, no matter what we all think of WC, or hear, or experience, we do have to admit that Lakota, are the best, well, if not THE best, They ARE in the top 5 in great schools. We do have a couple cool little sports bars?hangouts, like Putters, or Buffalo Wings & Rings, or Lucky Dog, & EVERY ONE of those places are within 5 minutes from each other. there are PLENTY of Elementary schools around< so wherever you choose to live, chances are you will be within less than 5 minutes of your childs school. There are also some very nice parks, Fort Liberty is one of the nicest parks Ive seen for kids. I do live in a neighborhood called Stonehenge, & it is CONVENIENTLY located right in between Cincy-Dayton, & Princeton Rds. The thing about Liberty Twp is you can go pretty much anywhere & be close to shopping...I have a Kroger Marketplace 30 seconds from me, but I'm back between 4 cul-de-sacs so its not busy, & youd NEVER KNOW it was right around the corner! I also have a HUGE shopping center with Target, & all those billions of lil stores that adorn Targets either sides! The other thing about Liberty Twp is you can find condos, affordable apartments< section 8 housing apartments, $750,000 homes, all within a few blocks of each other! I know this all may sound crazy, but to those of us living here...You know EXACTLY what Im talking about, & where! So here is the kicker....My hubby & I run a construction company....So we're CONTRACTORS...EEEEWW! LOL But as I said before, I live in a subdivision on 3 cul-de-sacs, I have a heart surgeon for a neighbor, a pharmacuetical rep, a couple bankers, a lawyer, a realtor, need I go on?? & we ALL GET ALONG!! It's just something about these neighborhoods around here, its so cool, laid back, I love it here, I highly reccommend it for any family looking, big or small, who likes the partial look/feel of a higher end neighborhood, but its never thought of or spoken of in that way, its more of a blue collar working "attitude", I guess, but in NO WAY OR MEANS IS ANYONE I HAVE MET YET IN LIBERTY TWP NEARLY AS STUCK UP AS SOO MANY IVE MET IN WEST CHESTER!!! Just try it out people, look around-You'd be surprised at where the true "Gems" are, you just need to dig around a little to find them

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,936 times
I say look at Over-the-Rhine's Gateway Quarter or Northside. And I also have to give honorable mention to College Hill, though you won't find very much nightlife there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati