Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 AM

279 posts, read 721,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysparkler View Post
I moved to Cincinnati from the West Coast in May of 2009. I originally rented an apartment in forest park, then bought a house in Colerain. I work in Symmes and Norwood. I have had both positive and negative experiences in this city, and would like to contribute both. First, a positive. When I lived in Southern Oregon, I had gone almost an entire year without employment. I had submitted close to a hundred resumes, and a couple of interviews, but no offers. When I moved to Cincinnati, I had a job within three weeks. I then obtained a second job six months later. I was offered a third job but turned it down just recently. I've also come to make some really good friends at my job(s). The people here are relatively kind and considerate. I haven't had any bad experiences with anybody, as of yet. I started out at Cincinnati State Tech. and immediately transferred to UC Raymond Walters, as I've had a lot of negative experiences at CS, but UCRW has been an excellent college. The weather here is barely tolerable, especially in the winter, which I found absolutely horrendous, but this is coming from somebody who has a profound distaste for snow and cold anyways. It doesn't get hot enough for me in the summers, and it rains waaaayyyy tooo much for my tastes!! One of my biggest complaints is that this place is a huge concrete jungle...there are very little opportunities to get out into nature...and if you do find a place, such as a park, then you have to actually pay to park your car. As a matter of fact, you have to pay to park your car just about EVERYWHERE, and parking is by no means cheap in Cincinnati! Some of my favorite things about Cincinnati is the abundance of food choices. There are some truly great restaurants with really diverse food selections. I will never get bored with the food here in Cincinnati! With all of that said, for a city of it's size, Cincinnati is a GREAT city. I think it all depends on what your preferences are. I grew up in a small town, and spent most of my adult life in a small town. I'm not a big city girl. The shear size of downtown scares the bejeezes out of me. As a matter of fact, I've only been downtown a couple of times!
Ah, you just most not be looking hard enough! We have some ridiculously amazing parks here. Check out Cincinnati Parks - Cincinnati, Ohio, Hamilton County, Park Events and start visiting some! My favorite is Ault Park...you'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM

269 posts, read 781,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Ah, you just most not be looking hard enough! We have some ridiculously amazing parks here. Check out Cincinnati Parks - Cincinnati, Ohio, Hamilton County, Park Events and start visiting some! My favorite is Ault Park...you'll love it.
I agree. There are some amazing parks here. You definitely have to put in some effort to find them, but they are out there. I do wish there were more road bike trails though, but Cincinnati's terrain doesn't lend itself very well for road biking anyway.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,737,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I agree. There are some amazing parks here. You definitely have to put in some effort to find them, but they are out there. I do wish there were more road bike trails though, but Cincinnati's terrain doesn't lend itself very well for road biking anyway.
I disagree. I think there are so many parks in this region, that you don't even have to "search" for them ... I think you could accidentally run into at least 3 parks just by randomly driving around the tri-state for a few hours.

For those that are interested ...

Here is a rundown on why Cincinnati's Park System is so expansive and marvelous - and historic:

City of Cincinnati - History (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/pages/-4564-/ - broken link)

Old 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM

279 posts, read 721,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I disagree. I think there are so many parks in this region, that you don't even have to "search" for them ... I think you could accidentally run into at least 3 parks just by randomly driving around the tri-state for a few hours.

For those that are interested ...

Here is a rundown on why Cincinnati's Park System is so expansive and marvelous - and historic:

City of Cincinnati - History (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/pages/-4564-/ - broken link)
Cool.

I remember sometime last year my brother and I caught a one hour special on PBS about Cincinnati Parks...it was very cool. We have awesome parks here!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,338,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Cool.

I remember sometime last year my brother and I caught a one hour special on PBS about Cincinnati Parks...it was very cool. We have awesome parks here!
I have to second that. Cincinnati City Parks are amazing.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,338,341 times
I'm a transplant to Cincinnati, myself (as is my wife). I'm from Maryland, from a distant suburb of DC. After college, I joined the Air Force and had the good fortune of spending time in Montgomery, AL as well as Dayton, OH. I've been to quite a few places and every one of them has had it's own charm.

Cincinnati is great. When I moved to the area, I moved downtown: walking distance to the best bars, the best restaurants, the best entertainment, and the best sports that the city has to offer. It was great because I really got to get a feel for the city. My wife and I were married at the Cathedral downtown and had an awesome wedding reception a short walk away. We've since moved to the neighborhood of Pleasant Ridge, which I've found to be a great neighborhood with tons of walkable streets (with sidewalks!).

The people here in Cincinnati are great. I feel fortunate to have been able to live in such a friendly area. I also love the attractions that are "distinctly Cincinnati": Findley Market, Fountain Square, Mt Adams, and the Cincinnati Parks to name a few things...

Overall, I think Cincinnati is going places. They don't get everything right... but they certainly don't get everything wrong either. The cost of living is low and the area is rich in history and architecture. There are new buildings being built, and old buildings being restored and re-purposed. All-in-all, I think it's a great place to live at an exciting time to live here.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,655,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I'm a transplant to Cincinnati, myself (as is my wife). I'm from Maryland, from a distant suburb of DC. After college, I joined the Air Force and had the good fortune of spending time in Montgomery, AL as well as Dayton, OH. I've been to quite a few places and every one of them has had it's own charm.

Cincinnati is great. When I moved to the area, I moved downtown: walking distance to the best bars, the best restaurants, the best entertainment, and the best sports that the city has to offer. It was great because I really got to get a feel for the city. My wife and I were married at the Cathedral downtown and had an awesome wedding reception a short walk away. We've since moved to the neighborhood of Pleasant Ridge, which I've found to be a great neighborhood with tons of walkable streets (with sidewalks!).

The people here in Cincinnati are great. I feel fortunate to have been able to live in such a friendly area. I also love the attractions that are "distinctly Cincinnati": Findley Market, Fountain Square, Mt Adams, and the Cincinnati Parks to name a few things...

Overall, I think Cincinnati is going places. They don't get everything right... but they certainly don't get everything wrong either. The cost of living is low and the area is rich in history and architecture. There are new buildings being built, and old buildings being restored and re-purposed. All-in-all, I think it's a great place to live at an exciting time to live here.
It's a great time to be living in this amazing area. Although, I really don't know any place that gets EVERYTHING right.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
My family and I moved to Price Hill from Ft. Myers FL a few months ago. We LOVE IT HERE!!!! I am thankful that I did not pay too much attention to all of the negative comments that have been made on this forum. Yes, the area has it's issues but when you have alot of ppl in a area you will have your good and bad. If you watch the news yes, Price Hill had made the news alot but I you pay attention most of it if not all is about drugs. That is a problem in every city in the US. But if you take a moment to look past that you will see and meet some very nice ppl who Love their neighborhood and want to do what it takes to clean it up. With motavation like that this area can turn around. To share a quick story: for Easter my family and I went to Mt. Echo Park , not only were we able to walk there it has some of the most amazing views of the city. Also almost every person we passed said "Hello or Happy Easter!" It was cerently nice to see such friendly ppl.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 AM

4,892 posts, read 13,907,038 times
There are definitely two factions here in C-D (just like in general.) You've got your city lovers and your city haters. Welcome to mine!
Have you heard of Price Hill Will? Kind of a strange name - weird is good; it's the neighborhood advocacy group there. Somebody from it turns up on C-D now and again using that name as their forum name. Be on the lookout for when and where they meet, if community involvement at that level is your cuppa tea. I take part in the neighborhood association where I live and the time spent's well worth it.
Check out the "what's my neighborhood" post, the guy who started it just put up a bunch of pics from Price Hill the other day. I especially love the 1.5-story brown brick houses in one of 'em, that you see all around older parts of Cincy and heavily on the west side. They have all these neat lil' extras like Palladian windows, or rounded doorways with a small roof, etc etc and were built to last. And their size can be deceiving b/c of how well the floor plans were thought out - lots more space than a glance from outside would lead you to believe. No Fort Myers prefab can hold a candle to those bad houses!
If the city ever manages to fix its damn schools it'd be perfect for families. For all of Cincy's faults, most of the people really are great. I'm happy your relo's gone so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati