Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

189 posts, read 309,569 times

Advertisements

I live just east of the village of Batavia, not down in the valley, and use an outdoor TV antenna with a splitter to serve multiple rooms. Getting all the major networks serving the Cincinnati area was never a problem.

Once the change was made to digital TV we were able to get some extra stations, most of which are 100% reliable. The only trouble ones are WKRP 25.1, and the other 25's like RTV 25.3.

The 25's used to be weak and only came in when skies were clear, then suddenly came in great for several months regardless of weather conditions, and have recently dropped out completely. I've contacted WKRP but they claim they have been using the same transitter the whole time so the problem must be on my end.

I did get one new converter box and have checked all antenna wiring. No difference. Remember that all other stations come in fine so a serious problem should be obvious.

Right now I am researching mast mounted amplifiers in an attempt to overcome wiring/splitter losses and maybe pick up some weak signals, but I've heard that the 25's are just tough to get period so I wonder if it is worth any more trouble and expense.

Any others with the same experience and possible solutions? Sorry, I won't pay for cable TV.

Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
I can understand your reluctance to support Cable TV. But on the other hand, what is you conveyance to communicate on the internet?

Personally, I feel broadcast TV is a relic of the past, they just haven't pulled the plug yet. But as they say money talks, and to me the money says broadcast TV will not last the decade. Now that satellite can reach the most remote areas, don't be surprised when they declare air-born broadcast TV is dead.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 AM

279 posts, read 717,744 times
Man that'll suck. I hardly watch TV, and I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on spending a bunch of money every month just because I want one f'n channel that cable/sat has. Sorry, back to the dude's question...I can check to see what kind of reception I get on 25.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Man that'll suck. I hardly watch TV, and I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on spending a bunch of money every month just because I want one f'n channel that cable/sat has. Sorry, back to the dude's question...I can check to see what kind of reception I get on 25.
I can agree, but I am saying air broadcast TV is close to dead. Put them in the same category as newspapers. The only newspapers which will survive will become affiliated with an Internet outlet. If you consider the cost of printing, distribution, etc. a newspaper may be able to stay alive as an Internet identify, if they can get enough commercial sponsors. A direct result of our Information Age.

Like it or not, this is a result of technology.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM

Yep, you're right...just a scary thought. Technology has or is killing a lot of things...was in Hyde Park Plaza the other day and noticed Blockbuster was actually pretty busy...surprising since I am thinking their time is limited.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Yep, you're right...just a scary thought. Technology has or is killing a lot of things...was in Hyde Park Plaza the other day and noticed Blockbuster was actually pretty busy...surprising since I am thinking their time is limited.
Basically, Blockbuster is dead. THey might not know it yet, but their days are numbered. How can you compare an operation with the requirement of maintaining a physical store, employees, etc. to one which just says download ovet the Internet? The good old Information Age?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Basically, Blockbuster is dead. THey might not know it yet, but their days are numbered. How can you compare an operation with the requirement of maintaining a physical store, employees, etc. to one which just says download ovet the Internet? The good old Information Age?
Yup, basically, Blockbuster is a has been. They could have kept up with the new (Red Box, Netflix), but they were way too slow to respond. Still kinda makes me sad since I remember being a kid and being excited about going to the movie store to pick something out.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yup, basically, Blockbuster is a has been. They could have kept up with the new (Red Box, Netflix), but they were way too slow to respond. Still kinda makes me sad since I remember being a kid and being excited about going to the movie store to pick something out.
But you see, everything is in the name of progress. Now we have NetFlix delivering their product via a USPS which is itself going broke. There is always someone who sees a niche, short term as it may be.

Very soon, receiving a mailed bill and paying by a paper check will cost you extra. It is already happening. When you speak of individual freedom and choice, where does this come in? The money always prevails

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM

189 posts, read 309,569 times
Some interesting conversation here. Perhaps the days of free broadcast radio are near and end as well.

But hey, let's get back on topic. If you live in Batavia or an equal distance away from Cincy, let me know how well you can get the 25's with an outdoor antenna.

Thanks,
Christopher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati