Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,634,642 times

Advertisements

Got this from UrbanOhio. If anyone can make it; make your voice be heard. CINCINNATI NEEDS THIS!

New email from Cincinnatians For Progress:

CFP Members,

Many of you have expressed interest in the Cincinnati Streetcar over the past year, and CFP wants to keep you up to date on important votes related to this project.

Cincinnati City Council will vote on Monday, April 19th at 1:00 pm on whether to approve $2,585,000 in City funding for the streetcar. If you would like to attend this meeting or speak on the project to your council members, you have two opportunities to do so:

1. Show up at City Hall 15 minutes early, fill out a card to speak, and speak at the Budget meeting.
2. Contact City Council members today.

CFP will support the possibility of all modern transportation options, particularly those that will also lead to growth and jobs, and this is an opportunity for us to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM

860 posts, read 1,358,502 times
Yep, just got the same message on Facebook. I'd like to attend. You plan on going Beavercreek?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Did anyone go?

I went and out of the entire crowd (quite a few even had to stand), it seemed like there were maybe 2 or 3 that stood against it, not counting Monzel or Ghiz. Amazing turnout with tons of support!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I wasn't able to make it, but like Cincy said, I heard there was a huge turnout. This speaks volumns, and should be telling the city of Cincinnati and the state of Ohio what should happen, and thats the streetcar.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:22 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
This is like getting a poor family a pony. This will be just like every other local streetcar and rail system in the country. Taxpayer subsidies forever. Who pays to feed and board the pony? And, who will use this shiny new toy?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Wilson, sometimes your posts give me a real kick. I agree with your view. How can people object to Obamacare, which is at least aimed (don't know how successful) at people getting health care, and then turn around and be in favor of this boondoggle. It reemphasizes to me how the majority of Americans have really no appreciation for economics.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson, sometimes your posts give me a real kick. I agree with your view. How can people object to Obamacare, which is at least aimed (don't know how successful) at people getting health care, and then turn around and be in favor of this boondoggle. It reemphasizes to me how the majority of Americans have really no appreciation for economics.

Well, I don't want to wander to far afield, but Obamacare forces all taxpayers to pay for whatever the Comisar of Medicine (or whatever the title may be) decides to cover. Interesting. So if sex change surgery is covered we all get to pay for half of San Francisco to change sides. Sort of like the little City Council toy on the agenda. Someone decides it will be fun to have and we all get to pay for it.

For my part, I'd rather they hire a few more police and firemen.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, I don't want to wander to far afield, but Obamacare forces all taxpayers to pay for whatever the Comisar of Medicine (or whatever the title may be) decides to cover. Interesting. So if sex change surgery is covered we all get to pay for half of San Francisco to change sides. Sort of like the little City Council toy on the agenda. Someone decides it will be fun to have and we all get to pay for it.

For my part, I'd rather they hire a few more police and firemen.
LOL interesting way to put it.

I see it's drawbacks, but this is something Cincinnati NEEDS. They need a form of rail, and there is nothing that this streetcar can do but go up and expand for future use.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Here is an interesting article about who will use it and how.

Streetcar Revival: Will Your Town Be Next? - AARP Bulletin Today

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Here is an interesting article about who will use it and how.

Streetcar Revival: Will Your Town Be Next? - AARP Bulletin Today
That article is plain ridiculous. In the first place, there are darn few residences along the proposed route of the streetcar. Secondly, that route is already amply served by the Metro - with the exception of the part going to the boondoggle known as the Underground Railroad Museum - another waste of taxpayer money.

As old as am, I should know better, but when Mallory was first elected, I was enthused. Surely somenone who had spent some time away from Cincinnati would bring in some fresh ideas and a different way of approaching problems.

Now that his term of mayor is almost done, this is the best he has to offer?
What a disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati