Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,009 times

Advertisements

Hartwell....here is an example of one that just went up for sale...
8415 Burns Ave Hartwell OH Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM

350 posts, read 880,758 times
RC, I hope you're right with regards to the Wood. True, many people are ignorant or condescending regarding Cincinnati neighborhoods to the West. I'll readily admit that I am ignorant of most anything east of UC, save for parts of the East End.

Sarah, I was thinking the same thing...our large grocery stores are usually set on the large main arteries, not for foot traffic. Would be nice to see the return of the small grocery markets.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
What about these beauties!

Columbia-Tusculum

Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,246 times
I agree Cincy-Rise, Coluimbia Tusculum is wonderful. Few people today would know that they wanted to put a highway through it. But Columbia Tusculum is perhaps at a level where its stable but I think prices will now level off. Thats what happens with 'fully developed' neighborhoods. Long term appreciation begins to flatline. Sounds like OP is looking at restoration and long term appreciation. If you factor in the property taxes (because it is at its "peak' in Columbia Tusculum so to speak) the cost of ownership is high.

People ask me why we chose Knox Hill over Mt Adams? We could have easily afforded Mt Adams. A Second Empire 'Fixer" in Mt Adams would have run us 150K, we paid 4K (not a typo) for ours. Our rooftop deck will have spectacular view of the city and the valley and Im 5-6 minutes to downtown across the viaduct BUT I'm not paying the 6-8 grand a year in property taxes. With what we are spending and the 10 yr tax abatement 15 because we will be LEED, I'm not saddled with a huge property tax bill to my living costs and my acquisition costs was low.

In fact it is going to be interesting to se what happens in some of the more 'trendy' areas of Cincinnati as those tax abatements run their course and people wake up to 10-15K annual tax bills. Especially since some are 'upside down' on their mortgages right now.

I watched this happen in Indianapolis when we all got hit with a big reassesment because property values went up so much after neighborhoods turned around. In fact Indiana now has a 1 percent property tax cap. I knew people who were hit with 20,000 a year propertry tax bills on houses they bought years ago for next to nothing.

I predict as cities turnaround we are going to see the same thing happen here in Ohio as property taxes will rise to unpayable levels.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM

94 posts, read 240,302 times
How about North Avondale, or Madisonville (streets like Erie, Arnsby, and Stewart).
There are some houses in North Avondale that would blow your socks off. It's close to downtown. (this is in addition to some that restorationconsultant mentioned)

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehouses View Post
How about North Avondale, or Madisonville (streets like Erie, Arnsby, and Stewart).
There are some houses in North Avondale that would blow your socks off. It's close to downtown. (this is in addition to some that restorationconsultant mentioned)
Woot woot!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
X2 on Columbia-Tusculum. Prices may be slightly above budget, but there is a lot of range which with many of the houses having been exquisitely finished inside and out. There is no real neighborhood there, but what there is is not too bad unless you go down to Eastern. Funny, as much beautiful housing on Eastern Ave. and as many amenities as there are with the proximity to the airport, view properties, the River, etc. Eastern is still riddled with vermin. It's really creepy east of Airport Road.

Last edited by Wilson513; 04-21-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Woot woot!
I take it you like Arnsby too? That's a great street isn't it? Madisonville has some gems, you just have to know what streets are good and which ones you don't even drive down nor less live on.

There is also a part of Madisonville that is over by RedBank Rd near the 5/3 call center. It's still Mad-ville, but the neighborhood is more expensive than most of mad-ville b/c it's a nice little pocket. However, the homes are smaller, and not what I think of as being architecturally awesome.

I'm not sure what you think about Price Hill Original Poster, but there are a couple gem streets over there too. I know of a couple that want to sell to move closer to her job. Their house is absolutely freaking heart stopping. I'd buy it myself, but it's a little big for me, and both my SO and I own houses in Mad-ville. So, we've already got 1 too many houses.

It's more in the 120k mark, but it's on a nice street. Let me tell you, I'm not a very good guest when I go over there because I just stare at the house. Natural wood work, 9+ tall ceilings, two stair cases, working fireplace, large kitchen, beautiful wood floors, original stain glass, huge rooms.. I could go on and on. Nice mature trees on the street.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehouses View Post
I take it you like Arnsby too? That's a great street isn't it? Madisonville has some gems, you just have to know what streets are good and which ones you don't even drive down nor less live on.

There is also a part of Madisonville that is over by RedBank Rd near the 5/3 call center. It's still Mad-ville, but the neighborhood is more expensive than most of mad-ville b/c it's a nice little pocket. However, the homes are smaller, and not what I think of as being architecturally awesome.

I'm not sure what you think about Price Hill Original Poster, but there are a couple gem streets over there too. I know of a couple that want to sell to move closer to her job. Their house is absolutely freaking heart stopping. I'd buy it myself, but it's a little big for me, and both my SO and I own houses in Mad-ville. So, we've already got 1 too many houses.

It's more in the 120k mark, but it's on a nice street. Let me tell you, I'm not a very good guest when I go over there because I just stare at the house. Natural wood work, 9+ tall ceilings, two stair cases, working fireplace, large kitchen, beautiful wood floors, original stain glass, huge rooms.. I could go on and on. Nice mature trees on the street.
I love Arnsby! In fact, so much so that I bought my house there last year! But yeah, it really is a gem of street, and totally defies what most people think of when they imagine Madisonville. I'm close to where Azalea intersects, so as you know, right around that bend is a section of Bramble thats pretty crappy.

Anyhow, I love Madisonville and hope it heads in the right direction. There's really no reason it couldn't be a top neighborhood in Cincy, full of great houses and people.

What area do you have houses?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Tubby513, I own one on Plainville. Actually on the MLS right now. It's considered Madison Place (but still Mad-ville), and then I live on one a couple blocks down on Bramble. Nicer part of Bramble then the stretch you are near, but there is still one apartment building I'd love to see demolished across the way. I almost bought my dream house on Arnsby a couple years back. It was foreclosed upon, and I lost out in a bid war. I drove by it for weeks just to stare at it. Then, later drove by it in hopes that the new owners didn't paint the natural woodwork. ey'
I also know, by association with an ex, a family that lives on that street. The double lot with the big dip and trees. They have added a wrap around enclosed porch. Really nice place. I always keep my eye open on that street for a house with natural woodwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati