Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 28,874 times

Advertisements

blue60, what drew you to Mason in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM

52 posts, read 92,726 times
Kging- The school system is what drew us to Mason. Just got back from a weekend visit and toured the schools. Very impressed. Even though the community center was under construction, we liked what we saw. They gave us free passes to both the indoor and outdoor facility. The kids had a blast at the outdoor pool.

We had zeroed in on Sycamore and Mason school districts. The house we liked was in southern Mason. You get more for your money in Mason. We also felt like there was a bit more "trying to keep up with the Jones'" in the Sycamore school district area, but we did really like both areas.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,862,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
Kging- The school system is what drew us to Mason. Just got back from a weekend visit and toured the schools. Very impressed. Even though the community center was under construction, we liked what we saw. They gave us free passes to both the indoor and outdoor facility. The kids had a blast at the outdoor pool.

We had zeroed in on Sycamore and Mason school districts. The house we liked was in southern Mason. You get more for your money in Mason. We also felt like there was a bit more "trying to keep up with the Jones'" in the Sycamore school district area, but we did really like both areas.
Happy to see your reply. Yes, Mason is currently where it is at. I am not about to say it is cheap, but if you look at the overall return, a very good value. Depending on the age of you kids, buy them a season pass to Kings Island. When I first moved here, my two oldest where of an age I could go to the drop-off area out front and leave them off, and pick them up later. My two youngest (13 year age difference), were a little different. When the Beach Waterpark opened up, the wife got season passes (1 mile from our house) to it for her and the young ones. Great value.

As senior citizens, we now enjoy the Community Center very much. Yes, it is currently undergoing construction, which should be completed by fall. THey have senior programs which are second to none.

Welcome to Mason! I hope you enjoy your time here as much as we have.

BTW. Try the Kroger's on Kings Mills road. There are bigger stores down on Mason-Montgomery and over on Tylersville near I-75. But why do I like the Kings Mills store? - the Manager's Specials. I probably go there at least 5 days out of 7. Since I am an old ass, we eat a lot of manager's specials. My wife asks what we are going to have for dinner? - my response? whatever they have in the manager' special. Don't feel sorry for us, we can afford whatever we want, but I do love those manager's specials.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

17,025 posts, read 12,648,529 times
I have a suspect in Mason for employment. I am trying to figure costs. 2nd interview next week. If I pass that one I fly there for a final "make sure he is not a mutant" interview. Nothing is sure till its sure but...

I got a kick out of this: >Mason is currently where it is at. I am not about to say it is cheap< LOL try New Jersey anyway...

1) Mason has a city income tax? what rate? This is the one area NJ will kill Ohio on. NJ has no city income tax and the net rates for state are lower sub $125K. (NJ gets you other ways like property tax)
2) Any nearby towns to avoid?
3) Any school districts to avoid?
4) Anyone care to look at their electric bill and tell me the electric rate per KWH? The wife is very fond of AC. (sigh)
5) Car inspection/ emissions? Registration cost?
6) Nearby malls for possible extra job? (Ive worked 2 jobs for most of the past 7 years)
7) Are property taxes significantly lower in Warren Co vs neighbor counties?
8) Sales tax still 7% and exempt medicine and food still?
9) What grocery stores are in the area? (I gather at least Kroger)
10) Good FAMILY FRIENDLY and reasonably cheap restaraunts? (non chain types encouraged. I already know what TGIF and Applebees are all about) I have a 4 and a 6 y/o.
11) NATURAL GAS for furnace available? One thing I will never miss no matter where I end up is oil heat. (try 400-500 a month for 1100 SF during the winter at ~2.75/gal!. 2008 was brutal when it approached $4 a gallon)
12) I see a difference between people saying the area is "expensive" but when I look I see houses as low as $150K that I would consider school grade B- and ones around $190K I would consider B+. Is my perception wrong or is $150K "expensive" or am I missing something else? Any chance of getting a daylight basement? That really makes them much more useful.
13) If necessary nearby apartments? where to go and not go.
14) What is the local phone co?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,862,184 times
Wow you have a lot of questions. Let me try to answer some, not necessarily in same order.

Mason local income tax rate is 1%, which is rebated if your work in another area which also collects a local income tax of 1% or greater.

Sales tax is 7% and food is exempted. Don't know about medicine.

Kroger is by far the largest grocery chain and Cincinnati is their headquarters. But there are other options such as Wal-Mart, Meijer (out of Michigan), Biggs, and others.

We of course have all the chain restaurants available elsewhere in the country. But there are a number of locally owned restaurants I would consider family friendly and reasonable.

Natural Gas varies by area. Most subdivisions, even further out have it available. Some older areas may not. But a heat pump is a viable option here, as our winters are typically not so severe or extreme cold periods very long.

Cincinnati Bell is phone company covering majority of area. I have them here in Mason even though Sprint is our 'authorized' local carrier.

You can purchase a decent house from $150K - $200K, though it is likely to be in a older area. One plus is these will tend to have larger lots, good for kids.

Property taxes do not vary significantly, particularly since majority is for schools. School districts like Mason, Lakota, Kings, Loveland (virtually adjacent) are all very well rated.

We currently do not have a required car emissions or testing requirement. Don't remember exact cost of registration/license, but it is a flat rate, I believe around $40 for a passenger vehicle.

Basements are common in home construction here. Due to rolling terrain, if you are lucky you can find a home with a walkout basement on one side, giving the light exposure and livability you desire.

Ohio does have an income tax. You should get on state websites to check rates.

Apartments are something I am not familiar with, especially rates. But due to economy there are several short-term lease condos available, some of which are very nice. I do not advocate purchasing a condo, because I am a cheap a** and don't like the maintenance fees. But as a short term living requirement, they may be very attractive.

Don't hesitate to send me a private message if you want more info. I may be and old fart, but I am not yet senile.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM

555 posts, read 1,657,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I got a kick out of this: >Mason is currently where it is at. I am not about to say it is cheap< LOL try New Jersey anyway...

1) Mason has a city income tax? what rate? This is the one area NJ will kill Ohio on. NJ has no city income tax and the net rates for state are lower sub $125K. (NJ gets you other ways like property tax)
I too am pondering a relocation from New Jersey to Cincy. I had a face to face last week that went very well, hoping to receive the offer this week.

In terms of taxes, the homes I've found (5 bedrooms 3 1/2 bathrooms within 10 miles of Mason) tend to be in the $2500 - 3600 range for Property Taxes though someone told me they can go as high as $5000. That's far less than the $11,000 I pay on my 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom here in NJ... looking forward to that

Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM

33 posts, read 147,331 times
Also consider going a little bit north/east to Lebanon or Clearcreek Twp. Both have good school districts, not as "yuppie" as Mason, and more affordable houses.

That said, I do like Mason, especially the northern part and the older town center. It's still got that small-town character, and great conveniences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati