Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM

52 posts, read 92,613 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone- I have be lurking and occasionally posting for over a year. I have found a lot of the comments helpful and interesting.

My family and I are moving from CT to Mason in July. We will be out there for a few days next week to tour the schools my children will be attending.

I look forward to getting to know the area. I already have a lot of the info that can be found on the web, but if there is anything that you think may be helpful to someone who is new to the area and doesn't know anyone, please let me know. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,841,093 times
First thing to do - join the Community Center. It is currently undergoing a major expansion so there is construction to contend with, but will be fully up and running this fall. A great way to meet people, and frankly cheap for a family membership. Also, partake of the Lou Eves outdoor pool this summer in the city park between the Middle and High Schools. Also, cheap and a great place to meet people. Depending on the ages of the kids get them involved with one of the upteen summer and fall sport leagues and activities here.

Take your time in getting familiar with all of the shopping available close by, ranging from the Deerfield Towne Center and surroundings to the meriad of stores on Union Center Boulevard off of I-75 in West Chester.

If you are outdoor inclined, take some time this summer to visit some of the state parks within short driving distances. One of the largest economic impacts in Warren Co. is tourism, and for good reason. People just like coming here. Nothing fancy, just good ole family fun sites.

Welcome to Mason, as you can tell I am sure you will enjoy it. One word of caution. The Mason school district is large, 10,000 enrollment and 750 teachers, depending on where you are coming from. The facilities are superb, and staffed well. Take time to insure your children are becoming acclimated this fall. I am sure the parents groups will welcome your participation.

Last edited by kjbrill; 05-18-2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Just can't resist. Depending on the age of the kids, consider season passes to Kings Island. Since it is right here in Mason, frequent visits on week nights can be a great way to entertain the kids. When my kids were younger, beginning with about middle school age, we would drive them over and let them off at the pickup area. Whenever it rained, they would say Dad take us to the park, the all-dayers have left and the ride lines will be short. As they got older, two of them got summer jobs at the park working in concession stands. Don't know whether they still do it, but at that time they had organized sports leagues, etc. for the younger employees. It was one great summer job.

Last edited by kjbrill; 05-18-2010 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,955,153 times
Good luck with the move and enjoy Mason!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:35 PM

66 posts, read 189,728 times
Mason is a great suburb and community to raise kids. Like the other poster said, tourism is big in Warren Co. Kings Island, Great Wolf, and The Beach Waterpark are big destinations. Every summer, the area hosts a pro tennis tournament(ATP Tour), pro volleyball tournament(AVP tour), and pro golf tournament( Junior PGA Championship and Chiquita Classic). I agree that getting KI passes would be fun. Since you won't be here until July, maybe not until next year? Those were always great growing up! The Beach Waterpark is also in Mason; I haven't been in years, but always enjoyed getting passes and spending the summer there with friends! If you buy the passes at the end of the summer and live in the area, you can get a pass for $35( a little over what daily admission would cost) and use them the rest of that summer as well.There is so much to do nearby for the kids.If you do enjoy the outdoors, check out the Lebanon Countryside Trail or Little Miami River and Little Miami Bike Trail that runs alongside the River (70+miles long). Little Miami River area is very popular and beautiful for biking, canoeing, kayaking, etc. Canoeing near Fort Ancient is amazing in the summer with the narrow river valley, high bluffs, and natural beauty. Loveland is a great river town with a few shops and great restaurants on the trail. Be sure to go downtown and catch a Reds game! Kenwood Towne Centre, Rookwood Commons, Mount Adams and Hyde Park Square are a few of my favorite shopping/dining areas in Cincinnati. Closer to Mason there is Deerfield Towne Centre, Union Centre, and Voice of America. A lot of the neighborhoods in the area have pools of their own. I think the best way to meet people would just be to be outgoing and introduce yourself to all the neighbors around you. The kids getting involved with sports or any other extracurricular activities would allow them to meet plenty of others their age. There are plenty of sporting leagues around. Hope the move goes well!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

52 posts, read 92,613 times
Thank you for such great information and advice! We are aiming to be out there around 7/1. My children are 7 and 10.

I look forward to checking out the river areas. I find the water relaxing. We also have kayaks and enjoying taking hikes with the kids.

How's the library in Mason?

Also, what service providers would you recommend for TV and internet?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM

The dominant local service provider is Time Warner Cable. Of coure the dish companies are also present. Time Warner has a package of cable TV, including quite a number of HD channels, high speed internet (called roadrunner) and digital cable phone which is hard to beat. Depending on whether you want a land phone line or not (many people are just going with cellular) this may fit you needs. The only problem with the digital cable phone is if power goes out the phone is also dead. I have an elevator in my house for the wife, so I still maintain a Cincinnati Bell analog land line so if power fails she can at least call someone to use the emergency release to get her out of the thing.

The Mason library is decent, not great.

If you like to kayak, the Little Miami National Scenic River runs right near Mason and just to the east of Kings Island, should be right up your alley. The majority of the time it is little, just a pleasant meandering stream. The entire length, some 70 miles, also has the bike trail along it, a great place to bike or hike.

We are blessed to have some great city parks right here in Mason. When you add to that the fabulous parks in Cincinnati and adjacent Hamilton Co. plus the number of closeby Ohio & Ky state parks too numerous to mention, you should find plenty to do.

Since I may be boring others on this forum with my exuberance, need to cut if off. But again, welcome to Mason, Cincinnati's Best Suburb (that ought to raise a reaction).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,042 times
hi all, first time posting. my wife is getting relocated to Ohio (company is 5 mins from Blue Ash). we don't know where to go as of yet but reading the posts and searching the web, I think we're more inclined to these communities Blue Ash (proximity to work), Mason (ethnicity), and West Chester (schools and shopping). my 7yr old has autism (high functioning) and i want to know if there's any good public schools that has great programs for children with difficulties in those areas. any info is valuable to us. thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 28,839 times
While I don't know much about Mason, I just wanted to wish you a smooth move. We just did the same move almost a year ago from CT too.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Hi all, I'm going to work this summer in Mason. I'm from Kiev, Ukraine. Maybe you could help me and share information about few things.
1) how get to Mason from Cincinnati. Bus/Taxi. Easieast and cheapest way.
2) cheap motel/hostel/room in Mason. I'm a student so can't rent expensive lodging.
3) where can I get social security number?
4) is there free Wi-Fi zones in Mason?
5) what is usual summer weather in Mason?
Thenk you for any advice or answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati