Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM

109 posts, read 166,338 times

Advertisements

Speaking of roads that used to be 55 mph - 471 changed from 55 to 65 what, eight years ago? And most people STILL do 55 even in light traffic. And with the 275-E exit on the left side of the freeway, you'll get stuck behind someone doing 55 in the left lane every time.
Beechmont Avenue is another haven for slow drivers. Even at 11pm on a weeknight, it's still tough to do over 30 mph.
One more thing that irks me, and this isn't just a Cincinnati thing - you are making a turn onto a four lane road, let's say it's beechmont again for argument's sake. If you are turning right, turn into the right hand lane. If you are turning left, the left lane. Why is that so damn hard for most people to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The I-275 speed limit should be 70+. I never drive slower than 70. I did the same when the speed limit was way underposted at 55.
I can live with 65 on 275. I'm glad I don't live in Indy, where the loop is 55 all the way around, and unmarked cops are a dime a dozen.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay84 View Post
I can live with 65 on 275. I'm glad I don't live in Indy, where the loop is 55 all the way around, and unmarked cops are a dime a dozen.
Ahh so the actual speed limit only means something when there is sufficient enforcement to suffer your pocket book?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
New york drivers drive so fat i went 80 on the freeway and people were still passing me. Only if cincy drivers drove like them.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Ahh so the actual speed limit only means something when there is sufficient enforcement to suffer your pocket book?
Yea, when my tax dollars are going toward employing cops whose sole purpose is to sneak around collecting revenue from motorists going five over, I have an issue with that. Union township is swarming with cops and highway patrolmen who perch along the roadways ticketing people all day long. All the while, the heroin and meth epidemic is out of control in that area, but somehow, the priority with local law enforcement remains revenue collection.
If you think law enforcement is doing this for the "safety" of the citizens, I'd have to say you have your head in the sand.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yea, when my tax dollars are going toward employing cops whose sole purpose is to sneak around collecting revenue from motorists going five over, I have an issue with that. Union township is swarming with cops and highway patrolmen who perch along the roadways ticketing people all day long. All the while, the heroin and meth epidemic is out of control in that area, but somehow, the priority with local law enforcement remains revenue collection.
If you think law enforcement is doing this for the "safety" of the citizens, I'd have to say you have your head in the sand.
Typical of your responses. Police doing their job trying to contain the speeding are just traffic mills heh? I could state you have your head somewhere else than just in the sand.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM

You're right, old man...those good guy cops are just trying to save us from those maniacs doing 70 in a 65 zone.
There is a laundry list of more dangerous traffic infractions that cops routinely turn a blind eye to. If cops are going to revenue collect, they ought to be doing it in areas with high pedestrian traffic (not that you have many pedestrians in Mason.) People routinely fly through Mt. lookout square doing 45 miles an hour and never have I seen a cop pull one of these people over.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You're right, old man...those good guy cops are just trying to save us from those maniacs doing 70 in a 65 zone.
There is a laundry list of more dangerous traffic infractions that cops routinely turn a blind eye to. If cops are going to revenue collect, they ought to be doing it in areas with high pedestrian traffic (not that you have many pedestrians in Mason.) People routinely fly through Mt. lookout square doing 45 miles an hour and never have I seen a cop pull one of these people over.
You can call me an old man all you want. But your contention of an 85% speed limit to me is rediculous. Let's just open it up to any damn speed you want to travel. You state it is an Engineering confirmed limit. That is something I definitely say is BS. Tell me just who are these engineers who vaidate this idea?

I recognize that speed limits are somewhat arbitrary. The street I live on is posted at 25 mph. But we have some *******s who come down the street at well over 45 mph. When I say well over, I mean well over. If it was just up to me I would castrate a few of them as their danger to our kids is immense.

Those who advocate the speed limits are underrated have about zero capability to set a speed limit on a bike path. Our national highways in their current state of conditioning likely do not even warrant a 55 mph speed limit. But those who are against the national highway system are the very same people who for some reason feel they should be able of speeding down the road at 85 mph and endangeriing the lives of everyone else.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

I am all for heavy enforcement of all traffic laws in residential areas. I am In total agreement with you there. I grew up on a deadend in Anderson and people would absolutely fly down the street. Countless neighborhood pets met their demise at the hands of speeding drivers over the years. Luckily, none of us kids ever met the same fate. I could count on one hand the number of times in 18 years, though, that I saw an Anderson sheriff in the neighborhood. They were too busy hiding in the bushes at the bottom of Sutton ticketing people as they were coming down the hill towards Coney. You will never convince me this had an iota to do with public safety.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Same my street is 25mph i seen people do 50 on the road including myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati