Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times

Advertisements

1A: NYC
1B: LA

2A: DMV, Chicago, Bay Area
2B: Philly, Boston, Houston, Dallas (?)
2C: Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Seattle

Gets hard after this point, but I think the top 5 are pretty much a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Sound of Reason, Any reason why you ranked Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, and the others above Boston.

The only ones i would rank above Boston are DC and SF.

The rest should be on the same tier or lower.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
1A New York

2A. Los Angeles
2B. Chicago

3A. Washington
3B. Bay Area
3C. Houston
3D. Boston

4A. DFW
4B. Atlanta
4C. Philadelphia
4D. Detroit
4E. Miami
4F. Seattle

Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
This is how it should be:

Tier 1: New York & Los Angeles
Tier 2: Chicago
Tier 3: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Philadelphia, Detroit, Miami
Tier 4: Phoenix, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle
Tier 5: San Diego, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, Denver, Tampa,
Tier 6: Kansas City, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Orlando
Tier 7: Charlotte, Portland, Nashville, Columbus, Austin, San Antonio, Hampton Roads, Indianapolis, Sacramento, New Orleans
Tier 8: Louisville, Richmond, Memphis, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Las Vegas, Raleigh-Durham,
Tier 9: Albuquerque, Hartford, Providence, Baton Rouge, Tulsa, El Paso, Omaha, Syracuse, Rochester, Allentown, Scranton, Grand Rapids
Tier 10: Charleston, SC, Greenville, SC, Spokane, Des Moines, Knoxville, Little Rock, Boise, Tucson, Piedmont Triad
I think Pittsburgh should be tier 5. We are 7th out of cities for Fortune 500 locations with 7 in our metro and also have a major national presence or headquarters for many other companies including Alcoa, BNY Mellon, American Eagle, Bayer North America, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. I think the city has more importance than Baltimore and Kansas City (Orlando would be nothing either without Disney and tourism)

Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Seriously, Boston isn't what most people act like it is. I don't care how many fortune 500 companies they have. That is one of the most overrated regions in the United States. It looks like a much smaller city when you visit. You have this idea of Boston being a really big city, and when you visit, it might as well be comparable to Orlando. Yes, it's a big city, but simply overrated.

As far as Pittsburgh goes, it looks about the size of Nashville.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Seriously, Boston isn't what most people act like it is. I don't care how many fortune 500 companies they have. That is one of the most overrated regions in the United States. It looks like a much smaller city when you visit. You have this idea of Boston being a really big city, and when you visit, it might as well be comparable to Orlando. Yes, it's a big city, but simply overrated.

Are you serious dude? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about since Boston actually has a remarkably low number of Fortune 500 companies given the size/importance of the city. Sorry to the rest of the forumers, but I'm going to have to toot Boston's horn for a moment. I would argue that in general, Boston's importance is under valued if anything...potentially due to the low number of major headquarters in the area.

First of all, it's insane to think Boston and Orlando are even...remotely of the same size. Boston has the fourth or fifth largest CBD in the nation and the third or fourth densest central area in the country.

In terms of economic importance, Boston pulls a lot of weight. Financially, it's currently ranked second in the country and eighth in the world in the GFCI Index. If you look at the assets under management, Boston is far and away the largest in the United States after NYC:

Source

1. NYC 101 firms totaling $11.670 trillion under management
2. Boston 26 firms, $5.563 trillion
3. Los Angeles 13 firms, $2.965 trillion
4. San Francisco 12 firms, $1.711 trillion
5. Philadelphia 6 firms, $1.589 trillion (95% is from Vanguard)
6. Chicago 17 firms, $1.508 trillion

On top of this, Boston is arguably the premier life science cluster on the planet. Jones Lang Lasalle and the Milken Institute have both listed it as the top area in the United States. If you check out this article, you'll see that Boston is likely the top biotech cluster in the United States. As referenced in the article, all of the major biotech companies around the world have been laying off pieces of their workforce, but expanding in Boston (particularly Novartis, Pfizer, and Sanofi Aventis). On top of that Boston has led NIH funding for the last 17 years. In fact, Boston/Cambridge receive more funding than any state in the country aside from California (and obviously MA too). Massachusetts is also #1 in the Milken's Technology and Science Index. Greater Boston has the second largest concentration of venture capital in the nation too, trailing only the Bay Area.

Cambridge is thriving at the moment, especially Kendall Square. Companies with a presence in the area include: Google, Microsoft, Novartis, Akamai Technologies, EMC Corporation, Genzyme, Shire, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, Biogen Idec (under construction), Amazon, Staples, Yahoo, Amgen, VMware, Facebook just announced an expansion into the area, as did Johnson & Johnson, and Oracle just made a major purchase too.

Boston's hospitals are also tops in the world. Between Mass General, Brigham & Women's, Boston Children's Hospital, Dana Farber, Beth Israel Deaconess, Mass Ear & Eye, and Joslin Diabetes, among others, you will not find a more impressive lineup anywhere else.

Boston is also home to three of the most powerful management consulting firms on the planet in Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Co, and Monitor Group.

Sitting in the background of all this is the world's most impressive lineup of universities. Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Tufts, Brandeis, Bentley, Suffolk, Northeastern, BU, Berklee, Wellesley, and others come together to create an incredible and unique environment which serve as the catalyst to create what some believe is the world's most innovative city.

For all these reasons and more (including the 6th largest CSA GDP in the nation), Boston certainly isn't overrated and is absolutely on a higher level than you suggest.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Default ???

Quote:
This is how it should be:

Tier 1: New York & Los Angeles
Tier 2: Chicago
Tier 3: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Philadelphia, Detroit, Miami
Tier 4: Phoenix, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle
Tier 5: San Diego, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, Denver, Tampa,
Tier 6: Kansas City, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Orlando
Tier 7: Charlotte, Portland, Nashville, Columbus, Austin, San Antonio, Hampton Roads, Indianapolis, Sacramento, New Orleans
Tier 8: Louisville, Richmond, Memphis, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Las Vegas, Raleigh-Durham,
Tier 9: Albuquerque, Hartford, Providence, Baton Rouge, Tulsa, El Paso, Omaha, Syracuse, Rochester, Allentown, Scranton, Grand Rapids
Tier 10: Charleston, SC, Greenville, SC, Spokane, Des Moines, Knoxville, Little Rock, Boise, Tucson, Piedmont Triad
Quote:

I GET THE JOKE!!!!!

(just kidding, no I dont.....)

I mean, I don't have much personal experience with Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Philadelphia, Detroit, Phoenix, or Seattle, but how can you think that Boston is a step behind Miami and Atlanta and equal to Minneapolis?

Just to be clear...

Minneapolis: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nneapolis.jpeg

Boston:
http://stevedunwell.com/aboveandbeyo...8294-30-AB.jpg
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/28599553.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Back_Bay.jpg
http://thumbs.****/thumbla...529170p3I2.jpg

......and Orlando:
http://images.[domain blocked due to spam].com/gallery/up-BS59D6O4RBEA96H6.jpg

Sorry If I'm a little harsh, but really I just don't get this....

Anyway, I agree with this (though I'd personally put Boston above Houston if not San Francisco and Washington DC):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
1A New York

2A. Los Angeles
2B. Chicago

3A. Washington
3B. Bay Area
3C. Houston
3D. Boston

4A. DFW
4B. Atlanta
4C. Philadelphia
4D. Detroit
4E. Miami
4F. Seattle

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Ranally city rating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

city rating descriptionExamples (* indicates a complete listing)1-

*1 AAAAUnique rating for New York New York City

*1-AAAUnique rating for Chicago and Los AngelesChicago, Los Angeles

*1-AA Major national business centers Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. (13 cities)

*1-A Other national business centersBaltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver,Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, and Seattle (14 cities)

*2-AA Major regional business centersAlbany, Albuquerque, Allentown, Austin, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Buffalo, Charlotte, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, El Paso, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Hartford, Honolulu, Jackson, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Lexington, Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Memphis, Nashville, New Haven, Norfolk, Omaha, Orlando, Peoria, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Shreveport, Spokane, Springfield, MA, Syracuse, Tampa, Toledo, Tucson, Tulsa, West Palm Beach, Wichita, and Youngstown (48 cities)

*2-BBSecondary major regional business centersAkron, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, San Jose, Wilmington
I agree with the position of Indianapolis on this list.
Sounds just about right.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:

Boston is not home to that many Fortune 500 companies. There are other areas that are either similar in population, or smaller in population that are home to more. Who is calling Boston a really big city? The population sits at around 630k, much smaller than NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, etc. It's also a small city in physical size, so of course it's not going to feel as big as some other US cities. That's one of the things that makes Boston unique.

Orlando is not comparable to Boston at all. You're talking about two cities that are very different. Orlando is a nice city, but it's not in the league of Boston.

In the context of the list, you're saying Boston has been placed in a tier too high?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
The notion that Cleveland, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and St Louis are on the same tier with SF and DC is hilarious, (credibility lost Rand MCNally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City