Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 06:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I find it odd to see anyone mentioning Atlanta as somehow more economically important than Boston. I'm very familiar with both, and it's really not all that close. Boston is a world class juggernaut of asset management, education, biotech, venture capital, consulting, and healthcare. To me, the top economic cities in the US on a world scale are pretty cut and dry:

Tier 0: NYC
Tier 1: Chicago, LA
Tier 2: Boston, DC, SFbay

Globally, sure. Within the United States, Atlanta is the giant regional city. Boston will always be NYC's little brother with a boutique economy where there are narrow sectors where it is world class.

You can kind of say the same for Chicago. It's the giant regional city. In terms of global importance, I'm not confident that it's "Tier 1". Nationally, it's clearly Tier 1 as the dominant midwestern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 09:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Interesting list from over a decade ago. A lot of that looks okay, but some of them are not even close. St Louis and Pittsburgh are probably ranked too high in 1-AA, but I guess it is arguable. Cleveland though?

And what is up with Charlotte and Austin in the same category as Peoria, Harrisburg, and Youngstown? LOL.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:54 AM

256 posts, read 155,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Interesting list from over a decade ago. A lot of that looks okay, but some of them are not even close. St Louis and Pittsburgh are probably ranked too high in 1-AA, but I guess it is arguable. Cleveland though?

And what is up with Charlotte and Austin in the same category as Peoria, Harrisburg, and Youngstown? LOL.
A lot has changed in the last 15 years

Old 10-29-2021, 12:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Globally, sure. Within the United States, Atlanta is the giant regional city. Boston will always be NYC's little brother with a boutique economy where there are narrow sectors where it is world class.

You can kind of say the same for Chicago. It's the giant regional city. In terms of global importance, I'm not confident that it's "Tier 1". Nationally, it's clearly Tier 1 as the dominant midwestern city.
I consider Chicago the quintessential American city of utmost national importance. It serves as the nation's premier logistics and transportation hub; the U.S. wouldn't have expanded to become a continental nation without Chicago. Chicago was arguably the first model of a modern American city in several respects from engineering to public health to transportation to recreation as well as culture. Agribusiness is its domain as well; the city basically controls food costs for the whole nation.

Of course it's the dominant regional player, but when that region is the heartland that represents a convergence of all of the nation's regions, you get Chicago as the nation's preeminent national city IMO.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:09 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
A lot has changed in the last 15 years
Agreed that a lot has changed in 15 years, although I think some of those were probably off 15 years ago as well, but with changes since then, now they are way off.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:30 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I find it odd to see anyone mentioning Atlanta as somehow more economically important than Boston. I'm very familiar with both, and it's really not all that close. Boston is a world class juggernaut of asset management, education, biotech, venture capital, consulting, and healthcare. To me, the top economic cities in the US on a world scale are pretty cut and dry:

Tier 0: NYC
Tier 1: Chicago, LA
Tier 2: Boston, DC, SFbay
It’s probably more like

NYC
LA
Chicago, Bay, DMV
Another tier with several cities, including Boston and probably Atlanta

Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Tier 1: New York
Tier 1B : Washington DC - Baltimore, Los Angeles
Tier 1C : Chicago, San Jose- San Francisco Bay Area
Tier 2A : Greater Boston, Houston
Tier 2B : Philadelphia, Dallas - Fort Worth, Atlanta
Tier 2C : Seattle, Miami - Fort Lauderdale, Detroit

Old 10-30-2021, 11:13 AM

33 posts, read 43,840 times
New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago are the important cities in America. On the 12th Annual Global City Index, here are the official rankings...(https://www.innovation-cities.com/in...ankings/18842/)

1. New York
2. Tokyo
3. London
4. Los Angeles
5. Singapore
6. France
7. Chicago
8. Boston
9. San Francisco-San Jose
10. Toronto

As for American only cites, here is my preference.

Tier 0 - New York
Tier 1 - Los Angeles, Chicago
Tier 2 - Boston, Washington DC., San Fransico-San Jose
Tier 4 - Atlanta, Houston, Baltimore, Charlotte, etc.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:50 AM

859 posts, read 696,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

Charlotte NC has international flights including some overseas.

Many people in the US have probably never even heard of Youngstown.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:25 PM

33 posts, read 43,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Charlotte NC has international flights including some overseas.

Many people in the US have probably never even heard of Youngstown.
Yeah, I agree. Charlotte is a major regional business center like Atlanta, Houston, etc. Youngstowns is a very small regional city in the middle of Ohio LOL. If I didn't study geography I would've never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City