Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 04:14 PM

3,534 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not so much DC-dependent but certainly quite a bit federal/state goverment-dependent.
Largest employers in Howard county..

Howard County Public School System – 8,230 employees
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory – 5,700 employees
Howard County General Hospital – 1,800 employees
Verizon – 1,700 employees
Howard Community College – 1,438 employees
Lorien Health Systems – 1,190 employees
W.R. Grace & Co. – 1,100 employees
Coastal Sunbelt Produce – 1,050 employees
Giant Food – 1,050 employees
Wells Fargo – 840 employees
Oracle/MICROS Systems – 810 employees
Leidos – 760 employees
Howard County Library System – ~300 employees

The closest major federal agency is the SSA in Woodlawn

The NSA/Fort Meade is an entirely different animal however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 07:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Largest employers in Howard county..

Howard County Public School System – 8,230 employees
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory – 5,700 employees
Howard County General Hospital – 1,800 employees
Verizon – 1,700 employees
Howard Community College – 1,438 employees
Lorien Health Systems – 1,190 employees
W.R. Grace & Co. – 1,100 employees
Coastal Sunbelt Produce – 1,050 employees
Giant Food – 1,050 employees
Wells Fargo – 840 employees
Oracle/MICROS Systems – 810 employees
Leidos – 760 employees
Howard County Library System – ~300 employees

The closest major federal agency is the SSA in Woodlawn

The NSA/Fort Meade is an entirely different animal however
Fort Meade is the largest employer in the state of Maryland with 53K+ people working there. That can't be conveniently omitted when talking about the Baltimore metro economy. You can't exclude Annapolis either. Along with SSA/CMS, and you're talking about quite a government-dependent region, which includes the various contractors and other private companies that are there because of the government presence.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:42 PM

325 posts, read 204,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I think it's a good list based on the identified dimensions. Though, I would have added "influential" as a dimension and dropped some of the "economic weight." I think the Bay Area and Dallas benefit greatly from the economic dimension. When "influential" is considered, I believe that Chicago and Washington moves up to 3 and 4 over SF due because one is the nation's capital and Chicago's usually considered a bit more world-class over both cities.

Dallas has a larger economy than Houston and Atlanta, but it's the least influential out of the three. Houston would rank 7th because of the oil industry and Atlanta would be 8th due to its cultural impact and media presence. I would rank Dallas 9th, but Miami and Philly is where the headache begins. Philly's economy is bigger but Miami is more influential (esp. globally). I think Seattle is in the right spot.

Lastly, regarding Orlando and Vegas, I think that they are rated so high because Tourism was a major dimension.
Agreed regarding DC/SF/Chicago. That's what I figured as far as Orlando/Vegas but the 5% kind of threw me off, I think Nashville and SA should be a little higher if tourism is a big factor.

Tier 1/2 are a little easier to categorize but the 2M-3M metro tier starts to get dicey IMO.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Fort Meade is the largest employer in the state of Maryland with 53K+ people working there. That can't be conveniently omitted when talking about the Baltimore metro economy. You can't exclude Annapolis either. Along with SSA/CMS, and you're talking about quite a government-dependent region, which includes the various contractors and other private companies that are there because of the government presence.
Fort Meade is the the largest singular employer in region but it’s still dwarfed by the Medical & Education industry on a metro wide level.

Regarding Annapolis, most of the state agencies are actually located in Baltimore city, not the state capital.

https://greaterbaltimore.gbc.org/sit...0Employers.pdf

Old 03-10-2023, 12:39 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Agreed regarding DC/SF/Chicago. That's what I figured as far as Orlando/Vegas but the 5% kind of threw me off, I think Nashville and SA should be a little higher if tourism is a big factor.

Tier 1/2 are a little easier to categorize but the 2M-3M metro tier starts to get dicey IMO.
You're right. Honestly, I think the top 12 could go in several different orders depending on what we're measuring. That middle of the pack is extremely tough. BTW, I'm Air Force and love San Antonio. My favorite Texas city.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Fort Meade is the the largest singular employer in region but it’s still dwarfed by the Medical & Education industry on a metro wide level.
Where is that *not* the case? High employment in those sectors is a rather ubiquitous characteristic of both metropolitan and non-metropolitan economies alike since they serve practically everyone. We're specifically talking about the sectors that primarily constitute the region's white collar labor force.

Quote:
Regarding Annapolis, most of the state agencies are actually located in Baltimore city, not the state capital.

https://greaterbaltimore.gbc.org/sit...0Employers.pdf
I knew there were state agencies in Baltimore as I've had to interact with some in the past, but that only reinforces my point.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Where is that *not* the case? High employment in those sectors is a rather ubiquitous characteristic of both metropolitan and non-metropolitan economies alike since they serve practically everyone. We're specifically talking about the sectors that primarily constitute the region's white collar labor force.
It’s ubiquitous with DC. It’s not for Baltimore because it’s simply not as prevalent at parity or absolute figures.

That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist but it’s not omnipresent in the way it is in DC

Fort Meade is not “white collar” in the convention sense like an Amazon HQ2 or Pentagon.. it’s first and foremost an Army installation. Yes the NSA is HQ’d there and it’s estimated to employ +30k people but how many of whom work on site is classified so take those figures with a *heavy* grain of salt (I go on the base all the time)

The Port for example only directly employees ~15k but indirectly connects almost ~140k jobs.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-11-2023 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-12-2023, 11:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I just ran across a 2023 Global City Model that ranked the importance of 180 Metropolitan areas by the following dimensions...

US Metros:

https://www.justinobeirne.com/global-city-ranking-model
I rearranged the list a little:

1) New York
2) Los Angeles
3) Chicago
4) District of Columbia
5) San Francisco- San Jose
6) Boston
7) Houston
8) Philadelphia
9) ATL
10) Dallas-Fort Worth
11) Miami
12) Seattle
13) Detroit
14) Minneapolis
15) Phoenix
16) Denver
17) San Diego
18) Charlotte
19) Baltimore
20) Tampa
21) Austin
22) Cleveland
23) St Louis
24) Orlando
25) Portland
26) Salt Lake City
27) San Antonio
28) Raleigh
29) Pittsburgh
30) Nashville
31) Sacramento
32) Cincinnati
33) Kansas City
34) Indianapolis
35) Las Vegas
36) New Orleans
37) Columbus
38) Milwaukee
39) Honolulu
40) San Juan
41) Providence
42) Hampton Roads
43) Jacksonville
44) Hartford

Old 03-12-2023, 12:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I rearranged the list a little:

1) New York
2) Los Angeles
3) Chicago
4) District of Columbia
5) San Francisco- San Jose
6) Boston
7) Houston
8) Philadelphia
9) ATL
10) Dallas-Fort Worth
11) Miami
12) Seattle
13) Detroit
14) Minneapolis
15) Phoenix
16) Denver
17) San Diego
18) Charlotte
19) Baltimore
20) Tampa
21) Austin
22) Cleveland
23) St Louis
24) Orlando
25) Portland
26) Salt Lake City
27) San Antonio
28) Raleigh
29) Pittsburgh
30) Nashville
31) Sacramento
32) Cincinnati
33) Kansas City
34) Indianapolis
35) Las Vegas
36) New Orleans
37) Columbus
38) Milwaukee
39) Honolulu
40) San Juan
41) Providence
42) Hampton Roads
43) Jacksonville
44) Hartford
What metrics would put Atlanta higher than DFW? I could see as it's the hub of the Southeast, but other than that...

Old 03-12-2023, 02:03 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What metrics would put Atlanta higher than DFW? I could see as it's the hub of the Southeast, but other than that...
You can argue Atlanta and Dallas all day because Atlanta is more influential and Dallas have a larger economy. However, Philadelphia is not 8th, in 2023, you can even argue Miami over Philadelphia. I think Philly sits at 11th, an argument for 10th. I have no problem with someone placing Dallas over Atlanta if they value the economy more, but Atlanta is a bit more influential IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City