Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation ?
Gatlinburg 20 52.63%
Orlando 18 47.37%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times

Advertisements

Gatlinburg, because Tennessee in general + Great Smoky Mountains National Park = Glorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Two things to remember - Disney World is not "orlando", The Smokies is not "Gatlinburg".
That being said, I would visit The Smokies and that beautiful Appalachian region (and if fact lived near there) and avoid the sleazy tourist trap that is Gatlinburg like the plague.
Disney is Orlando. may not be in the small city limits, because it governs it's own town no one actually lives there. But it's part of the Orlando MSA it's in the same county and it's about 5-10 mins away from the city limits

Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'll give you that too any extent. Not exactly sure why you brought that up based on the quote of mine that you cited. I was trying to tell GaGrl that it's not right in my opinion to "hate" a state because a majority of it's people are from up north. I was born and raised in Orlando, I am not southern so that is why I said, "what if I said that I hate GA because the people there are not like me, they'er southern..." you see what I mean?? I was trying to point out how it's prejudice to judge people based on where they are from. When I lived in SC people always thought I was from Chicago because my family is from there and I was raised around other kids from up north, thus picking us their accent a bit. I wasn't raised in an area with southern culture and my friends and I grew up acting more like Midwestern or Northeastern kids because of our parents and the culture and customs they presented us. When I have kids and raise them the way I was raised, they will also not be southern. There is a good mix in the surrounding Orlando area, I drove through Deland today and even saw pockets of it, but it doesn't seem to be a predominant culture in urban CFL.
I know. I was raised in an enviroment just like you in Orlando. With kids who were mostly from up north. My parents are from Long Island. Even the kids who's families are from Orlando don't act southern. I just see a lot of southern culture when I go to the small towns and rural areas of CFL, and a little bit in the suburban/urban part.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I know. I was raised in an enviroment just like you in Orlando. With kids who were mostly from up north. My parents are from Long Island. Even the kids who's families are from Orlando don't act southern. I just see a lot of southern culture when I go to the small towns and rural areas of CFL, and a little bit in the suburban/urban part.
Oh I see what you mean, and I totally agree rural Central Florida can go either way which is great if you enjoy differences. Psst, don't tell people in the South Florida forum but go west of the urban cores down there and you'll find pockets of dixie too. I noticed when I was in upstate SC how many people were from CFL and now that I'm back down here I've ran into a lot of people who are from SC or the part of NC that was close to us. It's funny, my gf & I joke that there is an exchange program between the Orlando area & Greenville/Spartanburg lol.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
One thing I must say is Florida has a neutral accent. I'm not even talking about the transplants, even most of the natives I've met sound like they could be from California or something.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Special opening last night for the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, with Harry Potter himself...

YouTube - Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint & Harry Potter stars open Universal Orlando's Wizarding World

Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Disney is Orlando. may not be in the small city limits, because it governs it's own town no one actually lives there. But it's part of the Orlando MSA it's in the same county and it's about 5-10 mins away from the city limits
I lived in Orlando for 25 years before moving away. Trust me - Disney is NOT Orlando. I'm not talking about "able to pick up local Orlando radio stations, so it's part of Orlando". The point is, the closest a tourist comes to Orlando is International Drive, or the International Airport, and that is so artificial (hotels, chain resteraunts, and tourist traps) as to not be representative of the city. How many tourists stroll through Eola Park in an afternoon?
It's more like a half hour, 45 minute drive in bad traffic, driving distance from downtown Orlando on I-4.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I lived in Orlando for 25 years before moving away. Trust me - Disney is NOT Orlando. I'm not talking about "able to pick up local Orlando radio stations, so it's part of Orlando". The point is, the closest a tourist comes to Orlando is International Drive, or the International Airport, and that is so artificial (hotels, chain resteraunts, and tourist traps) as to not be representative of the city. How many tourists stroll through Eola Park in an afternoon?
It's more like a half hour, 45 minute drive in bad traffic, driving distance from downtown Orlando on I-4.
Downtown Orlando, no. Orlando in general yes

Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
It's pretty hard to deny the impact that Disney has had on the area. I do agree, Disney is not Orlando, Orlando is not Disney. Disney is not in the City of Orlando, the city of Orlando is not in Disney. However, here are some places of interest that come to mind within the city limits that involve Disney:Orlando Daily Photo: Walt Disney Amphitheater at Lake Eola
and
Florida Hospital for Children in Orlando, FL
and the dining room at
Rosen College of Hospitality Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and a big thanks for getting tourist off the roads goes to
Disney's Magical Express | Complimentary Airport Service | Walt Disney World Resort

Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 PM

242 posts, read 596,303 times
I have no Deep South heritage. Mid South, maybe halfway that (or hillbilly heritage), but no deep south heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City