Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times

Advertisements

Having been to both...

Boston has better architecture overall. Besides that, LA is just a monster and creams Boston...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Having been to both...

Boston has better architecture overall. Besides that, LA is just a monster and creams Boston...
There's no doubt LA is a much larger city but it's tough to say it "creams" Boston without being more specific. There are many areas where LA bests Boston, but the opposite is true too...

Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Boston's a way cleaner city than LA. But I'd rather live in LA. I wouldn't handle a winter in Boston.
It's not that bad... I'd still much rather live in Los Angeles though.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's not that bad... I'd still much rather live in Los Angeles though.
I couldn't believe how dirty South Central LA was when I went over there this weekend. Many parts of South LA look very neglected and the infrastructure is deteriorating. It offsets the nicer beach areas that were posted earlier. Roxbury and Dorchester in Boston looks a bit dirty. But South Central LA is a way larger area.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I couldn't believe how dirty South Central LA was when I went over there this weekend. Many parts of South LA look very neglected and the infrastructure is deteriorating. It offsets the nicer beach areas that were posted earlier. Roxbury and Dorchester in Boston looks a bit dirty. But South Central LA is a way larger area.
Both Roxbury and Dorchester have their rough areas (especially Roxbury), but Dorchester has some really nice spots. The more South you skew in the city of Boston, the more suburban it gets. For the urban rough areas, it's best to look at Chelsea, Everett, and parts of Somerville.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Oh I meant the winter in Boston's not that bad.

Boston is pristine in the core (Beacon Hill / Back Bay / South End / Downtown), dirty and gritty in the inner-neighborhoods (Allston / Dorchester / Roxbury / JP / Cambridge / Somerville), and then clean but suburban in its outer neighborhoods / cities (Newton / West Roxbury / Roslindale / Chestnut Hill).

LA's dirty and gritty just about everywhere, even on most of the Westside.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default Lived in both

Grew up in LA area, went to school in Boston and my mom's family is from Boston. The living is way easier in LA; in Boston the winters are tough, the people are tough, the roads are hard to navigate, and the cost of living is high when you factor in the price of real estate and heating bills.

Boston is cool because it is historic, and pretty. LA has the weather, and you tend to feel free there to a great degree with the mountain backdrop, freeways, and the vegetation. My vote is for LA.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Oh I meant the winter in Boston's not that bad.
It depends on the winter. I woke up many a mornings to turn on the news and see -14 in Nashua, -3 in Brockton, 1 in Brookline, etc. I had never experienced temperatures that cold before. And definitely never a string of super depressing days of 6, 5, 2, 11, 7, -4, 13, 8, 4, 5, 9, 15, etc. And to top things off, it would be pitch black outside by 4:30.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It depends on the winter. I woke up many a mornings to turn on the news and see -14 in Nashua, -3 in Brockton, 1 in Brookline, etc. I had never experienced temperatures that cold before. And definitely never a string of super depressing days of 6, 5, 2, 11, 7, -4, 13, 8, 4, 5, 9, 15, etc. And to top things off, it would be pitch black outside by 4:30.
Oh my god that was so much worse than the cold temperatures to me. I like the sunlight.

I agree that mid-January is pretty depressing - holidays are over and you are stilling looking at a solid 2 months of cold, unpleasant weather.

However I don't think the cold winters were enough to say I would never move back to the East Coast.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Oh my god that was so much worse than the cold temperatures to me. I like the sunlight.

I agree that mid-January is pretty depressing - holidays are over and you are stilling looking at a solid 2 months of cold, unpleasant weather.

However I don't think the cold winters were enough to say I would never move back to the East Coast.
I hated late Jan, February, and most of March in Boston...but man I love the overcast weather. The sun is great, don't get me wrong...but sometimes I get overwhelmed here by the constant "nice" weather. I was over at my friend's house a weeks months ago and it started to rain and so I deliberately went out onto the roofdeck in order to bask in the crappiness of the weather haha. Part of that was probably because I was drunk...but the other part is because I missed Boston's not-so-great weather haha

Edit: However I think there is something to having bad weather for an extended time...it really makes you appreciate and take advantage of the time there is nice weather. My girl had never really experienced temperatures under 60 degrees when she first came to Boston, so she couldn't understand why my friends and I would go so crazy on summer weekends...why it was necessary to grab some canoes, grills, beer, and then paddle out to a beach party every weekend. I feel like those who were born, raised, and haven't left a place like Southern Cal may have the same mindset since it's almost always perfect weather. There's less urgency to it.

And, as I mentioned before, now that I live in an area with constantly nice weather, I really miss some (I will stress some haha) of the bad stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City