Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major city do you think of when the South is mentioned
Dallas 24 11.37%
New Orleans 46 21.80%
Atlanta 134 63.51%
Houston 31 14.69%
Nashville 39 18.48%
Miami 16 7.58%
Charlotte 28 13.27%
Birmingham 61 28.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Wow.....Wpmead, LaNative, and Polo....I guess I have nothing else to say.

I guess it just depends how you were raised. It's split between Wacoans; some believe it's the west while others think it's the south. I think it's the south and it felt southern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I don't know about you guys, but I classify this whole "Southern" thing differently.

However, Fort Worth, the rodeo capital of Texas is Southern? Geographically is is stated that it's the "Start of the West". Honestly when I think Cowboy, normally that's a western image, like states of Nevada and such.

Do you see rodeo's and cowboys in Mississippi? See what I mean. I do NOT think Fort Worth is Southern. It's more western influenced, IMHO.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Do you see rodeo's and cowboys in Mississippi?
Yeah, you do.
Livestock and Rodeo shows are a BIG deal in central MS
Dixie National Rodeo

Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I classify this whole "Southern" thing differently.

However, Fort Worth, the rodeo capital of Texas is Southern? Geographically is is stated that it's the "Start of the West". Honestly when I think Cowboy, normally that's a western image, like states of Nevada and such.

Do you see rodeo's and cowboys in Mississippi? See what I mean. I do NOT think Fort Worth is Southern. It's more western influenced, IMHO.
Don't quote me on this, but I think either Mississippi or Louisiana have rodeos (maybe both).

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think either Mississippi or Louisiana have rodeos (maybe both).
Angola Rodeo | Louisiana State Penitentiary

Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wow.....Wpmead, LaNative, and Polo....I guess I have nothing else to say.

I guess it just depends how you were raised. It's split between Wacoans; some believe it's the west while others think it's the south. I think it's the south and it felt southern to me.
I would say Waco is on the Western edge of the very very fuzzy line that divides the South from the Southwest, but that's just me. Honestly, I'm sure it has quite a bit of influences from both the South and the West. I just say Texas is Southcentral. Everyone seems to agree with that.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Like I just realized how Houston is made up.

Have any of you guys noticed how a lot of street names and a lot of cultural references are made directly to Mexico and Mexican history?

There's just so much, like it's a massive lifestyle change from other Southern states mainly because it's a border state.

It completely changes up the culture. Like when ignorant people say Houston/Dallas are "hick" towns, I thought about it, I'm freakin South Asian...there are Mexican people there, Chinese people there, Nigerian people there, Vietnamese people... etc... with all the Spanish influence our entire state has too.. so many of our laws and regulations are there just because we are a border state... so much cultural mix because of that.

Dare I ask how the big cities in Texas are "Hick" in anyway? They're Southern geographically and minor Southern culture influenced I won't deny that... but I'm just so curious on how everyone else views these Southern states

I don't know the Southeast well enough to comment on culture, I'll leave that to someone else. But I really want to know what is up with people calling these cities "hick"? It's only on this site too for some odd reason...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Like I just realized how Houston is made up.

Have any of you guys noticed how a lot of street names and a lot of cultural references are made directly to Mexico and Mexican history?
Old Spanish Trail
Bissonet
Fondren
Scott
Buffalo Speedway
TC Jester
Westheimer
Mykawa?
Telephone
Bellaire
Tierwester
Post Oak
Cullen
MacGregor
Segnette
Braeswood
Scott
Gessner

That's what I'm coming up with off the top of my head...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 PM

How could I forget Elgin, Kirby, Truxillo, Alabama, Alameda, and Louisiana.

Seriously, I can't see Houston as anything but southern. It's just like any other Gulf city, it's just bigger.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
How could I forget Elgin, Kirby, Truxillo, Alabama, Alameda, and Louisiana.

Seriously, I can't see Houston as anything but southern. It's just like any other Gulf city, it's just bigger.
I don't deny that it's southern. But I do deny that it's completely southern.

I have a better question, what does southern characteristic consist of?

I want to see if any of those southern characteristics have affected my life or others around me to an extent.

And guys, don't say "ya'll, pick up trucks, confederate flag, and other things... silly like that...

What are real elements/characteristics that consist of a typical Southerners lifestyle?

I really want to know that. I live in two different regions, so I can directly compare what characteristics affect my life and the lives of thousands of people near me.

So once again guys, tell me, what a Chicagoan (or any other city from another corner of the country) different than a Dallasite? By personality characteristics since we're talking about "Southern" characteristics here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City