Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs Cincinnati
Charlotte 151 49.67%
Cincinnati 153 50.33%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times

Advertisements

Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm not saying it lacks any activities. It has plenty of activities. But in order for a city to impress me, it needs things like a rich history, identity, sense of self, etc. Something which I think Charlotte largely lacks.
I can understand that. I think that is due to you, like many people, aren't aware of the history of Charlotte nor the surrounding area. Charlotte definitely has history, the alleged Declaration of Mecklenburg predates the Declaration of Independence, and it was known as a hotbed for rebellion by Gen. Corwalis. The textiles industry were once supreme here. Many still stand but now transformed into condos such as the NoDa arts district and the Atherton mills in Southend.

If people took the time to explore Charlotte they would realize what they think it lacks, it really doesn't.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,771 times
Cincy!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I can understand that. I think that is due to you, like many people, aren't aware of the history of Charlotte nor the surrounding area. Charlotte definitely has history, the alleged Declaration of Mecklenburg predates the Declaration of Independence, and it was known as a hotbed for rebellion by Gen. Corwalis. The textiles industry were once supreme here. Many still stand but now transformed into condos such as the NoDa arts district and the Atherton mills in Southend.

If people took the time to explore Charlotte they would realize what they think it lacks, it really doesn't.
Cincinnati has a much longer history as a large urban center though, and it has the neighborhood and architectural character that is reflective of such. That is the major difference between these two cites. Otherwise they seem pretty comparable in many other respects at this point in time.

You will not find neighborhoods like this in Charlotte.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Charlotte.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Cincinnati has a much longer history as a large urban center though, and it has the neighborhood and architectural character that is reflective of such. That is the major difference between these two cites. Otherwise they seem pretty comparable in many other respects at this point in time.

You will not find neighborhoods like this in Charlotte.
Well, there is no argument there. Charlotte has become a large urban center since the 70s/80s but has been a significant NC city since the 1920s. Cincy is definitely denser, if you read my first post you would see I acknowledged this. Does Cincy have light rail? Just wondering. I'm not sure if Cincy has blended textiles mills, TOD, art galleries, and old mill communities into new urban districts. This is what happend in NoDa and Southend.

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District
Find Your Center - Places to Go

Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Man this is such a tough question. I like both cities and I could really live in either one but because of the economy I'll give it a SLIGHT edge to Charlotte.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Well, there is no argument there. Charlotte has become a large urban center since the 70s/80s but has been a significant NC city since the 1920s. Cincy is definitely denser, if you read my first post you would see I acknowledged this. Does Cincy have light rail? Just wondering. I'm not sure if Cincy has blended textiles mills, TOD, art galleries, and old mill communities into new urban districts. This is what happend in NoDa and Southend.

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District
Find Your Center - Places to Go
Well Cincy does not have light rail (or TOD obviously). That is a good point actually. As structurally dense as parts of Cincy are you think they would be pushing more for this. The other things you asked about Cincy definitely has. There are tons of older structures that are being reused. The Over the Rhine section comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Man this is such a tough question. I like both cities and I could really live in either one but because of the economy I'll give it a SLIGHT edge to Charlotte.
Actually, Charlotte's unemployment rate is a bit worse right now.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 07-02-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well Cincy does not have light rail (or TOD obviously). That is a good point actually. As structurally dense as parts of Cincy are you think they would be pushing more for this. The other things you asked about Cincy definitely has. There are tons of older structures that are being reused. The Over the Rhine section comes to mind.
That's real neat. The two links I gave you, both areas were once textile mill commities which have transformed into unique Charlotte districts.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
That's real neat. The two links I gave you, both areas were once textile mill commities which have transformed into unique Charlotte districts.
Yes, I have actually been to those places. Although I'm sure there is more to them now since it has been a few years. I did not realize what those areas were called at the time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City