Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which college town satellite do you prefer?
Boulder, CO 40 26.32%
Lawrence, KS 10 6.58%
Norman, OK 2 1.32%
Ann Arbor, MI 45 29.61%
Tuscaloosa, AL 3 1.97%
Morgantown, WV 10 6.58%
Chapel Hill, NC 15 9.87%
Athens, GA 27 17.76%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am sorry but Morgantown, WV is not a satellite of Pittsburgh. It's 75 miles away. It's neither in Pittsburgh's MSA nor CSA. It's simply not a satellite college town to Pittsburgh.
Never been to Morgantown, just saw it was close to Pittsburgh. The two I have been too are Ann Arbor and Boulder. I used to go to school in Ann Arbor before I transfered to Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am sorry but Morgantown, WV is not a satellite of Pittsburgh. It's 75 miles away. It's neither in Pittsburgh's MSA nor CSA. It's simply not a satellite college town to Pittsburgh.
Athens, GA is 70 miles away from Atlanta.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
I guess out of the list, I would choose Athens, Chapel Hill, and Boulder. Athens is a fantastic party town, Chapel Hill is both beautiful and has academic prestige, and Boulder is located in one of the most perfect settings you could want.

I suppose there may be a point...but why were towns like Berkeley and Cambridge omitted from the list? They are the two most academically prestigious cities, have the most notable student body, fantastic downtowns, and probably two of the best nearby cities possible.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose there may be a point...but why were towns like Berkeley and Cambridge omitted from the list? They are the two most academically prestigious cities, have the most notable student body, fantastic downtowns, and probably two of the best nearby cities possible.
^^ I think that's why. It would be like comparing Boston & Raleigh. The big city nearby plays a major role in how people view a place.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I guess out of the list, I would choose Athens, Chapel Hill, and Boulder. Athens is a fantastic party town, Chapel Hill is both beautiful and has academic prestige, and Boulder is located in one of the most perfect settings you could want.

Berkeley and Cambridge have been swallowed up by the metropolitan areas of nearby cities. When I think of a "satellite" town, I think of a town that's close enough to a large city to be influenced by it, but far enough away to maintain its own identity.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
I voted for Ann Arbor, but if we're going to be counting cities that are 70+ miles away, then I want to change my vote to Madison.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Athens, GA is 70 miles away from Atlanta.
Congratulations, you can read a map. But Athens is not a "satellite" of Atlanta any more than Ann Arbor is of Detroit, or Morgantown of Pittsburgh. All three towns were founded and exist independently of their larger (and far away) neighbors.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Congratulations, you can read a map. But Athens is not a "satellite" of Atlanta any more than Ann Arbor is of Detroit, or Morgantown of Pittsburgh. All three towns were founded and exist independently of their larger (and far away) neighbors.
Regardless of his mapreading skills, this is no longer true.

There is a lot of cross-commuting between Athens & Atlanta - particularly with job and population-rich suburban Gwinnett County.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Regardless of his mapreading skills, this is no longer true.

There is a lot of cross-commuting between Athens & Atlanta - particularly with job and population-rich suburban Gwinnett County.
Places like Lawrenceville are probably closer in time to Athens then they are to DT Atlanta.
I agree with you.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Satellite cities are almost always independent from its' host city.

If it were apart of the city, then it wouldn't be considered "satelliting" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City