Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times

Advertisements

So I have narrowed the cities I would like to live in the most to four. Not that other cities are out (except the area where I'm currently in), but these are the four I've been really interested in. However, the quality of things I'm looking for aren't consistent with what many people want, like weather, traffic, or culture. So for those who have the experience, please help me give some comparisons.

So between San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and Houston, which one are the following:

-Most economically prosperous: The city where I would most likely be able to either get a job acceptance/transfer while applying where I currently am, or where I would have the least time waiting between moving to a place and obtaining a decent job.

-Most open to newcomers in their 20s: The city where someone who knows no one can meet people in the shortest amount, those who are genuine, and are truly friendly. None of this "stick to the clique I had in college/HS/Daycare BS" I deal with where I live.

-Most laid back: The city where people don't feel pressured on a daily basis. The city where someone can take an hour on their looks and get compliments from dudes and smiles from chicks instead of death-threatening stares. Where I am, it seems like the better I look, the more nasty stares I get.

-Most racially integrated: Not to be confused with "diverse" where you have a bunch of ethnic groups living near one another but are just "tolerating" each other enough not to have a race riot. I know the following four are all great in this department, but what's the city that best at fostering an environment of true racial harmony.

-Least resistance to higher positions/starting my own business: The city where the "Good ol' Boy" system of inside politics and "daddy's friend references" are at a minimum. The city where merit is recognized the most. And the city where someone who wants to run their own business can get the easiest start with minimal bureaucratic red-tape.

-The most masculine grit: The city who's males are the most not ashamed of being men! The city where the pastime is going to sports bars and cookouts watching football and UFC and having a few beers. The city where I can have a chest, six-pack, and strong thighs and not feel fat.

-Most libertarian: The city where anyone can do anything (and while we're at it, anyone) they want without some sort of governmental, religious fundamental, or social rule interfering with their life. I personally believe that truly libertarian environments are the most open-minded, even more than today's "liberal" environments.

-Least like Washington DC in EVERY WAY! (which is what this mostly all boils down to). Take all of the criticisms of Washington DC (pretentiousness, passive-aggressiveness, subtle racial tension, cut-throat attitude, blandness, stress, etc) And tell me the city that's the antithesis of all of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Mr. Fairfaxian, I've listen to you and read your post over the years and honestly any of the cities would be cool but Seatte would be a perfect fit imo. I'll explain later.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Mr. Fairfaxian, I've listen to you and read your post over the years and honestly any of the cities would be cool but Seatte would be a perfect fit imo. I'll explain later.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be on the lookout for your explanation.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
San Diego: Doesn't sound like you would like Socal at all. The attitudes in DC are magnified 2x in SD, but that's my style so I'm cool with it.

Denver: Definitely not because it's very similar to DC, which I like.

Seattle: Could go either way depending on who you click with.

Houston: Houston has your name written all over it. What you are describing sounds like you want the Sunday football culture. Houston is very sports oriented (high school/college/pro). Lots of local sports bars and very Southern. That's kinda what it sounds like you are describing. The good ole boy network is alive in some parts of Houston, but the city is so big that you can be successful while avoiding that.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Going by your criteria, Houston sounds like the best fit overall honestly. Though I'm sure the outside detractors will try to disagree just because it's Houston/Texas.

Only thing would be your career - some industries will be better in some of these cities than others.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
San Diego: Doesn't sound like you would like Socal at all. The attitudes in DC are magnified 2x in SD, but that's my style so I'm cool with it.
I don't see that at all, most of the people I've met from DC and have come across on this site usually say it's the opposite of DC. Californians tend to be passive aggressive in general so that may be one aspect that is similar. Also SD has a ton of sports bars, too many actually imo.

I think all these cities could work although I'd put SD at the bottom for economic prosperity.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Denver and DC similar? In a parallel universe perhaps. People in Denver make eye contact and say hi to people they don't know. Other comparisons continue along the same lines. If you're looking for a masculine, laid-back demographic Denver wins over Houston in my opinion, without the trying to look/be masculine aspect. In Denver, they just are.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
-Most economically prosperous: Seattle or Houston

-Most open to newcomers in their 20s: Depending on what kind of 20 something you are. Seattle is crawling with people in their twenties. But really people in their twenties move into every big city, you need to visit these places and pick up on the vibe and which one is most compatible for you. Not by what you read in articles, C-D, or Forbes.

-Most laid back: All four cities are much more laid back than DC. San Diego is probably the most laid back out of all of them, which could be a good or a bad thing.

-Most racially integrated: Seattle may not have a large minority presence on lock, but it is the most racially integrated city I've ever encountered. Rainier Valley a perfect example with a large presence of Blacks, Hispanics, Whites, and Asians all living in the same neighborhood. Likewise in many of the southern suburbs like Kent and Federal Way.

-Least resistance to higher positions/starting my own business: Look no further than Houston (or Dallas)

-The most masculine grit: Denver for sure. What's cool is they don't wear it on their sleeve as if they have to pass the test, they just are. Definitely give Seattle and San Diego a pass if this is what you're looking for.

-Most libertarian: Denver, although I would imagine Houston would also, Ron Paul's congressional district isn't too far from there.

-Least like Washington DC in EVERY WAY! - All of them! There is only one DC (thank god for that).

I think Denver may be a good fit based on your criteria. Don't take our second hand advice though; you really need to get out and travel and visit all of these cities if you are considering moving to any of them. By the way, is climate important to you? All of them have extremely different climates from one another, exponentially so. Also keep in mind no matter where you move, the things you think you might escape...passive agressive people, racial tensions etc, well you'll find that anywhere. People are people at the end of the day, and American culture is thick no matter where you go in this country. If you visit a place like Seattle or Denver, your intuition will tell you whether or not it's right for you.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-28-2011 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
-Most economically prosperous: Texas has the Jobs. California isn't doing so hot. Denver and Seattle are good. Cost of living in Denver is higher than Texas and Seattle is SoCal high...almost. Property taxes in Tx are high, and that does affect you even if you rent.

-Most open to newcomers in their 20s: I've heard it takes a while to get close to people in Seattle. I'd say Denver has the best mix of nightlife and friendly culture. Texas are also friendly.
-Most laid back: I think all four would be decent. San Diego is socal but it's a lot different than LA.

-Most racially integrated: Houston, San Diego, Seattle and Denver. I don't have stats, just my opinion.

-Least resistance to higher positions/starting my own business: I've heard San Diego wages are low compared to the COL. I really can't answer any further than that.
-The most masculine grit: You just described the ideal church in Texas. Both Houston and Denver have more of a down to earth feel.
-Most libertarian: I don't comment on politics.

-Least like Washington DC in EVERY WAY! Houston then Denver. I know what you are talking about with the flashy attitude of DC. But if you truly want least like DC, that means you give up some of the perks of DC. You lose the architecture, public transit, and other beneifts that come from cities in the northeast. IMO, Seattle might be the change that seems to fit you best. However, Houston is probably the most different. But you might get down there and get annoyed with...well the things people just don't like about Texas. I'd pick Denver. I don't know what your preferences on weather and scenery are. Seattle is prettier than Denver, but Denver isn't a slouch. And I don't necessairily think Washington is prettier than Colorado. As far as San Diego, well....it's California. IF you have the job and money to make it work, go there.
My comments above.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
Denver is nothing like Washington, but it has a very reserved sort of ambiance, especially among natives, that can make it extremely difficult to make friends and "find your niche." That said, it is extremely masculine, has been rated one of the "manliest cities in America," and is full of SUVs, pickups, and some of the most devoted football fans you'll find.

Houston, San Diego, and Denver are all somewhat similar, and, in my opinion, Seattle is the black sheep on your list. It's quite liberal and hardly masculine in any sense of the word, except for the fact that many people evidently wear flannel regularly, which may or may not qualify as a manly sort of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City