Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 107,953 times

Advertisements

I'm not necessarily asking which city is the most desirable. Of these 3 cities (with an open slot to other suggestions) where could I find the best neighborhood/area to rent? If you have suggestions for all 3, that's even more helpful. I'm not deciding between the cities. I'm narrowing it down and letting work decide for me in the end.

I currently live in Austin, TX. If you are familiar with ATX, the areas I like are *East Austin, North Loop, Hyde Park, SOCO, SOLA. If you are not familiar with ATX, I like neighborhoods that are older and grittier with hidden pockets of entertainment. I like areas with walkability, dive bars, coffee shops, public transportation, thrift stores, bike friendly...hipster. I usually hate the term, but I can't seem to avoid it. I am looking for a hipster neighborhood that has an eclectic mix of young professionals, young families, artists, and diverse locals. I'm not looking for a neighborhood that's too young or or too over run by college students- I'm taking the next step in my life.

I'm 26/f and I'm going to be finding "blue collar" work while working on my writing career on the side. I want to rent a studio/ 1 bedroom apt in the $500/mo range. I know that's cheap, but Austin is pretty expensive and I manage fine here. With that said, I know that I might not be able to live in the most popular and historic neighborhoods in any of these 3 cities. What are some less known neighborhoods (perhaps more on the outskirts) that would fit the bill? Would I be a able to find a neighborhood where entertainment and good scenery are both in walking distance? What about a quirky neighborhood that is inexpensive enough that I could have a place with a yard/porch and still be close to amenities ?

I know that crime rates and safety are a touchy subject when talking about these particular areas. Let me just say this; I'm not easily scared. (warning: tangent ahead) My favorite rental was within 30 feet of a train track and a cemetery. I shared a quad with a schizophrenic lady, her toothless heroin addict dad, a 16 y.o. pregnant couple, and a stripper. I loved the the hell out of that place!!! There was never a dull day. Any way... I would never live in a gated community. I like old neighborhoods that are safe from gentrification. I appreciate all facets of American culture, but at the same time, I don't want to be the odd one out either. I want to be somewhere where I will fit in....where all types come together, hold hands and sing kumbaya together (JK!) Finally, I don't want my dad to have a heart attack when he visits his little girl . In otherwords, if there really are some areas that just scream "BAD NEWS", I won't judge you as being unadventurous or close-minded for pointing them out for me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times
I think the Savannah Historic or Victorian Districts provide everything you're looking for, except maybe the $500/month rent. Not saying it can't be found, but you'll have to look hard and it will probably be on the finge. Downtown Savannah has a lot of carriage house and ground-floor (former servant quarters) apartments that could fall in that price range. Similar can be found in Ardsley Park and in midtown around Habersham Village.

While Savannah does have a large college population, it's more complimentary than overwhelming. Sav College of Art and Design has 9,000 students but they're spread out a across the city (there's no central campus) and as a result the entire town as an artsy, funky, gritty, flamboyant and at times just plain weird vibe to it. From a professional standpoint, the city has a huge community of people in the creative / visual / performing arts fields as well as a sizeable literary community. Coming from Austin, I think you'd love it.

SCAD
SCAD > The University for Creative Careers
CREATIVE COAST ALLIANCE
Home - The Creative Coast Alliance (Savannah, GA)
CONNECT SAVANNAH
Connect Savannah - The Free Weekly Alternative Arts and Entertainment Newspaper in Savannah, Georgia - Information on music, theater, art, movies, video, photos, dining, news and issues in historic Savannah, Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City