Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most politically aware/active:
New York 24 52.17%
Los Angeles 5 10.87%
Chicago 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Which of the three largest U.S. cities do you think has the most politically aware citizenry?

The political awareness criteria are as follows:

- how likely the citizens are to protest; where protesting is most mainstream
- city is active and present in national politics; fundraising, prominent national politicians, etc.
- developer and exporter of political ideas and movements
- high voter turnout rates
- how likely the populations are to follow national politics closely in the media
- how well the citizens understand government structure, legislative process, political developments, etc.
- in general, how passionate the people are about all things politics

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago. Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Politics means a whole bunch in Chicago in a way. But unfortunately, it's known nationally for corrupt politics.

I know New York City is a strong political machine too Nearly any new law that goes up there, I am reading about it the next day whatever city I am in. It's very influential to the national media.

Los Angeles I think carries the traditional Californian policies and magnifies it to the rest of the country.

In a bizzare way, all of them are known nationally for one form of politics to another. I see a lot of people in Downtown Chicago, who politically get involved with this "Oil Spill" disaster and go out of their way protesting and getting signatures for things of that nature.

I know for a fact that things like that are a common practice in New York City too, I ALWAYS read about that, and I don't even live there.

We're talking about three liberal cities, (Chicago being the least).

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
None of those cities have anything on Washington, I can tell you that.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
None of those cities have anything on Washington, I can tell you that.
Yeah but none of those cities employs the government.

I feel like the cities are politically active in different categories. Fore example, people in Los Angeles are likely more passionate and active with all things immigration. Chicagoans might be more proactive with labor politics, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
New York.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip72 View Post
none of those cities have anything on washington, i can tell you that.
lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
None of these cities are particularly active on the ground level when it comes to politics. San Francisco and the Twin Cities are bigger on this kind of thing.

NYC is a lot of awareness of international politics and not all that much action. Also, most of the natives I've met here are absolutely clueless and apathetic.

Los Angeles is apathetic all around.

Can't really comment on Chicago.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
None of these cities are particularly active on the ground level when it comes to politics. San Francisco and the Twin Cities are bigger on this kind of thing.

NYC is a lot of awareness of international politics and not all that much action. Also, most of the natives I've met here are absolutely clueless and apathetic.

I basically agree with Oy here. When I lived in Queens and Brooklyn, most people I knew had really no idea about local politics. They could name everyone on their baseball or basketball team but did not know who the Borough President was. Most people blindly vote to elect the same politicians year after year. This is because they "heard of them" so they must be doing a good job!

The exception are certain executive branch politicians like Mayor or Governor. At least people pay some attention to these politicians.

I cannot comment on LA or Chicago but my guess they are probably similar to NYC.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I basically agree with Oy here. When I lived in Queens and Brooklyn, most people I knew had really no idea about local politics. They could name everyone on their baseball or basketball team but did not know who the Borough President was. Most people blindly vote to elect the same politicians year after year. This is because they "heard of them" so they must be doing a good job!

The exception are certain executive branch politicians like Mayor or Governor. At least people pay some attention to these politicians.

I cannot comment on LA or Chicago but my guess they are probably similar to NYC.
Mayor Daly has been in office for 20 years around.

It's ridiculous how people vote based off peer connections and their "fad" for a party rather than a logical choice candidate.

Politically the voters in our cities are the cause of blame, we put these "big egos" in office, but also refuse to vote them out when time comes to make positive changes.
Politically our cities are uneducated on responsibility, IMHO.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I would add Portland and Seattle to your list of cities that have a strong grass-roots political activism culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City