Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 PM

96 posts, read 201,353 times

Advertisements

I would choose ABQ any day over ELP. My husband is from El Paso, and anytime we brought relatives or friends from out of state to visit, they couldn't help but remark what an ugly city it is. No greenery, just brown cement, sand and buildings, overlooking the slums of Juarez (and lots of smog). Albuquerque is beautiful compared to it and has so much more going on - not to mention it's not far from other cool places (Santa Fe, Taos, Colorado, etc. - El Paso is a long ways from anywhere!, except for maybe Las Cruces, which is a bit better than ELP, but still blah). And ABQ has more seasons too - not just an endless summer of dust. The schools are better up there as well.
Just my two cents!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,059 times
I have to agree with toadling81. El Paso is not a very attractive city. I've been there several times, and there just isn't anything to do. The entertainment sector is zero, and the city itself is just dry & brown with no planning at all. It looks like they just build at will with little or no planning whatsoever. I went downtown one time when I was there and WOW it was like visiting a third world country.
As for Albuquerque Ive been there a few times & it has some nice charm to it, especially the nob hill area & the old town area are very nice with an artsy feel to them. Also Albuquerque seems to be better layed out as the freeway disects the city. The area neer the river is also nice, very green with lots of trees.
I would prefer Albuquerque if I had to choose between the two.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM

272 posts, read 1,062,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
I would choose ABQ any day over ELP. My husband is from El Paso, and anytime we brought relatives or friends from out of state to visit, they couldn't help but remark what an ugly city it is. No greenery, just brown cement, sand and buildings, overlooking the slums of Juarez (and lots of smog). Albuquerque is beautiful compared to it and has so much more going on - not to mention it's not far from other cool places (Santa Fe, Taos, Colorado, etc. - El Paso is a long ways from anywhere!, except for maybe Las Cruces, which is a bit better than ELP, but still blah). And ABQ has more seasons too - not just an endless summer of dust. The schools are better up there as well.
Just my two cents!
I had my girlfriend visit from Maine where she is from and is currently attending family matters. She lived in Santa Fe and Albuquerque because our company has offices in those two cities. I asked her to compare both cities and she said that El Paso was a lot cleaner than Albuquerque, that you could see trash in almost every street in Albuquerque. She could not get over the fact of how clean the streets of El Paso were. She hated Albuquerque because of the high crime rate and how the people were "detached", don't know what she meant.

You say El Paso is isolated and Albuquerque not?!? Here is a quote from a new Albuquerque resident on why he hates the city.

1. Lack of sense of community. I can't put my finger on it--perhaps the "car culture," the Western mindset, the walls around the house.

2. Lots of ugly sprawl.

3. Weak downtown; not many walkable areas.

4. My hands are dry all the time. Believe it or not, sometimes I miss humidity.

5. Feels isolated. For us personally, it's far from family, friends. But being so far from the coastline and far from major cities sometimes gets to me.

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...t-about-6.html

Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Article from a magazine or bank interest? Moderator cut: profane acronym
That doesn't say anything about the Metro areas being combined.....it talks about the rules of becoming a combined metro area....now does Las Cruces want to be considered part of the El Paso metro? Obviously NOT....since your little article is 5 years old. And nothing has ever been mentioned!!
Moderator cut: inappropriate Its NOT going to happen........el paso is still over 100,000 smaller than the ABQ MSA!!!! Get used to it the gap is only going to widden!!
Moderator cut: inappropraite enjoying Rookie league baseball down there? LOL.... is el paso ever going to get any PRO or Minor league teams....or can they NOT support such?
Once again wishful thinking on your part. The article is 5 years old?? how about 2006? Getting back to the subject matter, you said that Albuquerque had "Bigger" projects and so far I have proven you wrong!! Anyone can look at the list of projects i posted as opposed to yours and will see that El Paso projects clearly dwarf those of Albuquerque's. Just the $4.4 billion worth of construction on the new city being beilt at Ft. Bliss is a lot more money than all of Albuquerque's projects combined!!

El Paso-Dona Ana Co (2007 est) 933,469

Albuquerque-Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, Sandoval counties (2007) 835,120

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
Just my two cents!
Like I mentioned before, my girlfriend used to live in Albuquerque and really, really hated the city and the people. But she fell in love with El Paso the few times that she came down and will move down here once her family matters are taken care of in Maine.

Sun City one of best cities for relocating

El Paso ranked No. 7 among medium-size cities on the 2007's Best Cities for Relocating Families. The list, which included cities with populations from 575,000 to 1.25 million, was compiled by Worldwide ERC and Primacy Relocation that specialize in corporate relocations. Knoxville, Tenn., was the No. 1 city on the midsize cities list, followed by Wichita, Kan.; Raleigh-Cary, N.C.; Salt Lake City; Oklahoma City; Richmond, Va.; and El Paso. Texas fared well on the list. Among large cities, Fort Worth-Arlington was No. 1, Austin-Round Rock was No. 5, San Antonio was No. 12 and Dallas-Plano-Irving was No. 13.
http://recenter.tamu.edu/mnews/mnsearch.asp?pg=4&AID=9

Also El Paso has been rated the 2nd or 3rd safest city in the whole country over the last decade or so. The same thing cannot be said of Albuquerque however. Here are some crime statistics between the two cities.

Actual reported crimes and population 2005.

Albuquerque-490,631 pop. 53 murders, 1150 robberies, 3182 aggravated assaults, 5744 burglaries, 20703 larceny thefts, 3796 vehicle thefts.

El Paso-601,839 pop. 14 murders, 448 robberies, 1857 aggravated assaults, 2151 burglaries, 14925 larceny thefts, 2599 vehicle thefts.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
Once again wishful thinking on your part. The article is 5 years old?? how about 2006? Getting back to the subject matter, you said that Albuquerque had "Bigger" projects and so far I have proven you wrong!! Anyone can look at the list of projects i posted as opposed to yours and will see that El Paso projects clearly dwarf those of Albuquerque's. Just the $4.4 billion worth of construction on the new city being beilt at Ft. Bliss is a lot more money than all of Albuquerque's projects combined!!

El Paso-Dona Ana Co (2007 est) 933,469

Albuquerque-Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, Sandoval counties (2007) 835,120

Mesa Del Sol alone is bigger than el paso's Government subsidized growth!!!
Your wife is from Maine & lived in Albuquerque .....ya sure! You've been posting nothing but ficticious things and now this....Just ridiculous!!!

ABQ 853,755
EP 744,000
Facts......not BULL!!!
By the way Albuquerque is still growing faster than El Paso.

You got all excited about articles about El Paso....here are some of ABQ......lots more!!

Albuquerque Economic Development - Media Center (http://www.abq.org/media.html - broken link)

As for crime rate you forgot the 1,600 murders accross the stream there!

Last edited by observe; 01-19-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justchill View Post
I have to agree with toadling81. El Paso is not a very attractive city. I've been there several times, and there just isn't anything to do. The entertainment sector is zero, and the city itself is just dry & brown with no planning at all. It looks like they just build at will with little or no planning whatsoever. I went downtown one time when I was there and WOW it was like visiting a third world country.
As for Albuquerque Ive been there a few times & it has some nice charm to it, especially the nob hill area & the old town area are very nice with an artsy feel to them. Also Albuquerque seems to be better layed out as the freeway disects the city. The area neer the river is also nice, very green with lots of trees.
I would prefer Albuquerque if I had to choose between the two.

El Paso's downtown is like a third world country....
Thats hillarious!!!
Yep come to think of it it does look like a third world country.....UGLY like a giant swap meet!!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,260 times
El Paso is not a third world country. You want to see a third world country, go across the border to Juarez. Nothing in El Paso compares to the slums of Juarez.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Albuquerque one of the top 10 places to relocate.....El Paso is NOT even in the top 100!!!

Relocate-America's™ 2008 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
El Paso is not a third world country. You want to see a third world country, go across the border to Juarez. Nothing in El Paso compares to the slums of Juarez.
Key word IS LIKE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City