Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Two rarely mentioned southern centers of government and education. Which would you choose?

Baton Rouge
City: 227,017
Metro: 774,327

Columbia
City: 129,333
Metro: 744,730

Architecture
Development
Economy
Education
Entertainment
Family life
Healthcare
Transportation
Weather

Baton Rouge

Columbia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
The only one I have been to is Baton Rouge, so I am going with it.

I have never been to South Carolina before, but I am doing a New York City-Miami trip this summer to see everything in between those two. (with some friends for fun) I suppose I will get my chance to finally see it.

Anyone have any advice? Anything I should watch out for in South Carolina?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Speed traps. But seriously, if you're planning on sticking to the I-95 corridor, there's not going to be much to see AT ALL. I-95 through the Carolinas has got to be the boringest stretch of I-95 there is, LOL.

Anyway, as far as the subject here is concerned, I am definitely more familiar with Columbia and have not yet had a chance to visit Baton Rouge. So I'll do the best I can here to be objective with the categories.

Architecture: I would probably give the edge to Baton Rouge due to the French influences in the area, not to mention the art deco LA Capitol and the Shaw Center. But one can take a gander at photo threads for Baton Rouge and Columbia to come to their own conclusion in this regard.

Development: Not sure. I know Baton Rouge has added some buildings downtown (government buildings I think). Columbia recently added an office tower to its skyline and two others a few years before that. There's also development activity in other parts of downtown and Five Points, the urban district where the USC students tend to hang out, although some of it has been downscaled/altered/scrapped since the economy went sour. I'm sure the same can be said in Baton Rouge.

Economy: Baton Rouge. It added much more private sector jobs from 2000-2010 than Columbia (which also had a net increase of jobs) did, thanks in no small part of the petrochemical industry that has a large presence in the area. However, both are categorized as being among the nation's strongest metro areas in terms of recovery from the recession by the Brookings Institute.

Education: I think it's close to being a tie here. Baton Rouge has LSU and Columbia has USC, both having large enrollments of over 20K and having rankings not too far apart in the lastest national rankings. Baton Rouge also has Southern University that has a decent-sized student body, and while Columbia doesn't have a secondary institution that large, there are a few others that it does have (two HBCU's, one women's college).

Entertainment: Don't know for sure, but I'd imagine they aren't too dissimilar here. Columbia gets it share of big-name acts and I'm sure Baton Rouge does too. Both have a decent amount of museums and their signature annual events. I do know that Columbia has one of the most visited zoos in the Southeast, which is a big draw for the city.

Family life: Not really sure how this could be determined.

Healthcare: Don't know enough to say.

Location: I'll go with Columbia on this one, although Baton Rouge's location isn't too shabby at all. It's located on the mighty Mississippi, which is a plus, and is a stone's throw from one of the nation's most unique and interesting cities, New Orleans. Houston would be the closest really big city. But I like Columbia's location better; it's not on a river nearly as large as the Mississippi, but it is located at the confluence of two rivers that merge to form a third, is close to Charlotte, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and the Appalachian foothills/mountains. It's also a little closer to Atlanta than Baton Rouge is to Houston, and is located roughly halfway between Miami and NYC.

Shopping: Baton Rouge has a bit more of the upper mid-level brands that have not yet made it to the Columbia market.

Transportation: Tie. Both just have the standard bus systems.

Weather: From looking at climate statistics, it gets hotter in the summer in Columbia (which is no surprise to me at all), but it's more humid throughout the year in Baton Rouge, which I expected. So take your pick I suppose.

I suppose one could also consider downtown vibrancy, parks/recreation, etc. as categories also.

And for good measure, here are two larger, more encompassing shots of each city's skyline:

Baton Rouge

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ugeSkyline.JPG

Columbia

http://www.pbase.com/lsyd/image/122136013/original.jpg

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Baton Rouge.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
I've only passed through Columbia, but I lived in BR so I know I don't intend to go back there. I would try Columbia out most likely.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Charleston is less than a 30 minute detour down I-26 from I-95 while traveling through SC. Not sure why anyone said there is nothing to see because even South of the Border is a lot of fun and was a welcome site after driving for so long. Enjoy SC, I really loved living there but a year was all I could take of this being everywhere:

Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
I like Baton Rouge and Columbia but I would choose Baton Rouge because it's in Louisiana.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Charleston is less than a 30 minute detour down I-26 from I-95 while traveling through SC. Not sure why anyone said there is nothing to see because even South of the Border is a lot of fun and was a welcome site after driving for so long.
Yeah but it's so cheesy. I'm a native SC'er so I guess I'm used to it.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yeah but it's so cheesy. I'm a native SC'er so I guess I'm used to it.
Totally Cheesy but I always thought that was the point lol. As well as stocking up on the real fireworks that SC offers .

Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
South Carolina has one of the best flags in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City